Share This Page:

Newbie!

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
lil-j '88

Newbie!

Post by lil-j '88 »

hey people, im 16 (17 in july) and really want to be a marine for everything it entails. But im only small and dont think i would pass the test at CTCRM, ive read loadsa aticles and stories about it and im getting really excited, even though im dead worried!

I know im not ready for it now because im nowhere near fit enough for it, but can someone help me with advice on training programs, is the one in the marines info pack that you get from AFCO the best and most effective around, should i be more realistic about attempting CTCRM at 17, would anyone recommend anything that would really help me get through and that i could benefit from that isnt in any books or at the AFCO. what shud i really prepare for and perfect before going to CTCRM? thanks for your time. jamie
wato212

Post by wato212 »

Hi jamie, The best advice that i can give you is to apply when you are ready.
I applyed when i just turned 18. As for training, the main thing that you want to do is to get all round fitness, i.e good running,upper body. Then as soon as you have a general fitness work on that. If you are just starting training, don't go all out, 1. you will be f@#k and it will affected your confidence, and 2. you will get injuryed. Below is my training program.

Monday- 3 mile run, circuit training, and 5-a-side.
Tuesday- rest, eat lots of food.
Wed-Sprint training, max press-ups,sit ups, squats, and chin ups
Thur- 6 mile run, Strength and weight training.
Fri- Rest, again eat loads of food.
Sat-test day 4 mile timed run, max press ups, sit-ups,squats, and chin-ups
Sun- football

Hope this helps, however i have been doing this for 6 mounths.
Any question just ask. :lol:
speed freek

Post by speed freek »

As wato said, You need good all round fitness.. I failed my first PRMC because my upper body fitness wasn't anywhere near as good as my running was.

You dont need to goto PRMC being a super runner, level 11.5 on the bleep test, 3 miles in 21 mins and being able to do about 10 50 mts sprints with 30 sec rest will be a good enough standard to pass the running aspects of the PRMC.

As for upper body, well realistically aim for 50 pressups, 6 pullups and 60 situps. The problem with the upperbody fitness though is that you generally need to be able to do these things while your breathing heavilly having just sprinted for 5 mins.

Good luck in your training, dont over do it.
lil-j '88

thanx for helpin

Post by lil-j '88 »

Thanx alot for writing, its helped alot, i have little confidence in myself as it is and the whole royal marines atmosphere seems so dauntin, i needed to know what they were lookin for and how to train. both of you answered that and now i have a good idea on what to achieve, but with the weekly trainin programs how do you go about it, is it best to have a program that is very intense and makes you sick to show your bodies workin or is it best to take 6 months for training and increasin weekly by a few reps or harsher conditions.

also i was in the cinema with some family and the royal marine advert came on, do you know the one with that young lad who gets his leg caught on a rock whilst in that water tunnel, whats the fully submerged tunnel like, have you gone thru it yet? thats the part that scares me!!

thnx again for helpin and well done with everythin youve achieved, i look up to the people who have passed the PRMC, i would love to be in their boots one day!
wato212

Post by wato212 »

It sounds like your heart is in the right place,lol. As for training, there is no rush, do a training program that suits you, and every week just increase it by a few reps or 5 min on your runs. This way it will build up your confidence as well as your fitness. Also as iam not a royal marine, a good bit of advice, would be to go the AFCO and see a royal marine, thats what i did.
He will point you in the right direction. Good luck :D
beardo

Post by beardo »

the water tunnel is much shorter than the add makes out
T T Fresh

Post by T T Fresh »

Hello lil-j '88

As beardo syas, the water tunnel is a bit of a myth - if you search the forum for pictures of both the assault course, endurance course and lympstone itself you'll find all you need to know.

If you are unsure as how to train then look at the sticky thread on training - Skiffle is the main man re: Phys so give him a shout if you're unsure how to begin.

Other than that, welcome aboard

TT
Mr Mojo Risin

Post by Mr Mojo Risin »

youll need to toughen yourself up too mate, there is no room for lack of self confidence at CTC
PJFT : 9.12
PRMC : 24th May... FAILED
Going back - sometime after Chrimbo
speed freek

Post by speed freek »

I think you also need to realise mate that all marines and recruits are human beings like yourself, They all have 2 arms, 2 legs (well apart from that guy) and a heart and lungs.

Although the old n' bold would like to convince you they're gods :D they're still human, Just very professional at what they do and very fit. There's no reason anybody in your shoes cant do it, The only thing thats going to stop you IS YOU. The AFCO staff will want you to succeed, so will the PRMC staff and if you pass then your training team will do their very best to turn you into a top class marine. The only ingredient left to include is YOUR self confidence and determination.... Have this and you CANT FAIL!

As mojo risin has just said before me, There's absolutley no room for self doubt at CTCRM, Just get that 'IM GONNA DO IT' attitude in your head and go for it... We all have self doubt and believe me you will get loads of it the moment you first arrive at lympstone.... You just have to overcome it and show them you want to be a marine. good luck mate, Dont be beaten before you even started.

P.S. Training, no dont over do it so your throwing up all the time, If you have 6 months then take 6 months to prepare, no point getting to prmc standard in 2 months then maintaining for 4 months... Make it progressive so your always going longer and harder each week.
wato212

Post by wato212 »

Good post, remember 'train hard fight easy'.good luck. 8)
lil-j '88

cheers

Post by lil-j '88 »

thanx for the advice, for once ive taken it onboard and want to use it as best as possible.

i think with me being at the age i am there must be a stage when i start seeing things a bit more seriously and more focused, i think with the training and reading im doing for the marines ill end up growing up as a person and hopefully more confindent in myself when i start progressing through the medicals and interviews.

when i used to run x country i sed the phrase, 'pain is temporary and glory is forever' this helped me to do ok and not give up. my coach used to say ' winners never quit and quitters never win' hopefully with all the help available from you guys and the people at AFCO's, it seems quite hard to fail if you want it bad enough, i know i do, its the only thing so far in my life that ive made a solid decision about, i hope all of you do well and get in, i h8 people who think theyve made it(in life) becos of their car or house, theres more to life than money and fame, but the marines is just something else, and the green beret is like nothing else, so i really wanna make it, thnx again.
Wee Willy Winkie

Post by Wee Willy Winkie »

hi mate, you sound exactly like me!! im 15 and im going to join the RM pretty much definetly, 99% anyway. i aint in my peak of phys. but i do the odd hockey, footy and rugby and a bit in the gym. im just not sure whether to join after 6th form as recruit or to go to uni. afterwards and try for POC. One of the only considerations i have is what to do when my 22 years (or less maybe the case) is up. Could ex-RM's tell me what profession they went into when they left the Marines and if they were able to live comfortably until they retired from work. is it true you can get a pension from the marines if you do 22 years and then another pension from the civvy job you go into. Much appreciated, and good luck for the future lil-j !!! Cheers , Andy :wink:
"All right, they're on our left, they're on our right, they're in front of us, they're behind us...they can't get away this time"
lil-j '88

Post by lil-j '88 »

orite andy, looks like we have things in common, cheers for wishin me luck, hope you the best aswell wen you go thru your processes, i was goin to go to college for 2 yrs before joinin but my heart took over and i wanted to join as soon as possible and really have a tartget and goal in my life. im no where near ready for it but im really keen and want to meet the people goin thru it and who have passed, and see how theyve turned out and take note form their experience's, and then really concentrate and reach the fitness target prior to PRMC. if i was you i wudnt go to uni simply becos im goin to do sumthin within the forces at all times, so i wudnt need the special degrees n stuff to get thru, they will help but my thinking is lifes too short, and 2 or 3 yrs is a long time to wait to do sumthin your set on doing. but if you want to then its a good idea, loadsa people to meet and learn things and maybe end up in a top notch job. about the pension thing i think tha tin the marines you serve on an open engagement, from when you start, 22 yrs on you cn qualify for a pension and then as long as your mortgage and bills are paid off im sure you cud live quite comfotably until you end up conkin out! speak soon jamie.