Share This Page:

Members' Training Schedules

All Royal Marines related articles, frequently asked questions and other useful information in here.
iareglenn

Post by iareglenn »

yeh sure its the least i can do
ash2003

Post by ash2003 »

Hey Skiffle,

Im 18 (19 in march) and wanting to pass PRMC late march/early april.

Cheers,
Ash
iareglenn

Post by iareglenn »

just wondering skiffle if on my rest days i cant swim or bike ride what should i do
Skiffle

Post by Skiffle »

iareglenn wrote:just wondering skiffle if on my rest days i cant swim or bike ride what should i do
Simple, REST. The idea is to relax the body and let it recover by not enduing and stress's on it.

At most you do a light swim/ Cycle to help relax. And at best do a light warm up and lots of stretching to help prevent injuries and keep a full range of movement in the muscles and joints. 8)
Chaos, Disorder, Destruction.....My work here is done!

"The man who follows the crowd will usually get no further than the crowd. The man who walks alone is likely to find himself in places no one has ever been. --- Alan Ashley Pitt"

Why can't you accept that some days you're the pigeon, and some days you're the statue.
Skiffle

Post by Skiffle »

Ash2003,

Sorry for the delay in sorting this post, had a few issues to deal with.

An interesting program, which with most of the PRMC training programs I have seen always concentrates on specific areas with overall fitness.

You only seem to do maximum press-ups and the pull up program as thought it is all you need to do. This will make you good at just pull-ups and press-ups. You also only seem to do Sit-ups as part of a weekly test (and possibly one circuit), this does not give you a strong background of training at them to improve and see the improvement in your weekly test.

Again you would be better off doing full circuits (more than once (see suggestions)) to improve on these specifics and improve on all other areas of the body you are neglecting. When you do the Assault course you need the power in the legs to jump up the 6ft wall, the strength in your trunk to swing your legs over and the ability to pull your self up with your upper body.

Only concentrating on the areas specified (mainly press-ups and sit-ups) will not make this and most of the Assault course easy for you. And it will leave you finding it hard for the first few weeks (if you get into full training at CTC). As you will finish up having to do exercises you are not used to.

Monday is one idea I would drop completely from your training program. The first problem is down to a general rule with any form of physical fitness. 'As a rule of thumb, changes in physical performance require a minimum of 8 weeks of training and more often 12 weeks'

What this statement means is you will not see any real gain in your results each week, as you would have to do at least 8 weeks of training in order to see any gain.

Another problem is that you will be maxing yourself out every week as part of a test to see if you have improved. You are more likely to find that doing this will reduce the intensity level you train at in your other training (body needs time to recover). This would leave your program taking longer to see any gains.

Ant the final problem with doing this test every week is, it will make you very good at the Bleep test because you have used it as training. But it would leave you struggling when different fitness assessments are done. The best thing to do is train to improve your fitness, and use the test (once every 3 months) as a guide to your fitness.

People who have used the bleep test to train have often found themselves fantastic at the bleep test, but struggle at some of the other training tests. This is due to having constantly worked at short fast intervals (running) or only having trained at the other aspects of the test (because you have concentrated on single aspects of your fitness I.E Press-ups)

I would suggest this as a much better alternative:

Monday: Circuits

Tuesday: 4-5 mile hard run (or broken into interval distances)

Wednesday: Rest or light Swim

Thursday: Circuits- build sprints into them (see Circuits i posted earlier)

Friday: 5-6 mile light run or light circuit

Saturday: Fartlek/ Interval training run/ Grid sprints / Hill sprints (if you did a circuit on Fri. then do Fartlek or Interval training)

Sunday:
- Complete rest

By changing Monday into a circuit you can concentrate on areas you are neglecting and improve your bests by working other muscles associated with press-ups, sit-ups and Pull-ups

Rather than doing a sprint and a circuit, they can be combined into one on Thursday to make a very hard circuit.

With Friday and Saturday, I have left you the option of controlling what you wish to work at in your training. If you do a back to back two days of circuits (Thurs'/ Fri') then work at the Fartlek/ Interval training. If you do the run on Friday, then you can choose to work two days of running by doing the Fartlek or Interval's. Or work at both running and some upper-body strength by doing the Grid sprints or hill sprints.

This program should deliver the more desired result of higher all round PRMC, without having as many risks of injury from your program witch Max's out to often.
Morning Press up Routine
1 x Max marine style press ups
1 x Max regular press-ups
1 X Max press up variation (either close-arm, wide arm, legs raised or clap, changing each day)
While this may seem a good idea to max out daily, as said elsewhere here. It will lead to over training and possible injuries rather than achieving greater fitness. If you do any in the morning, don't do them to maximums, do them to a set number (3 x 10 rep's of each, 20 off of each increasing slightly). Do them to aid training, but don't do them as an extra session to the main sessions I have suggested.
*Pullup program adapted from the armstrong pullup program (http://www.4mcd.usmc.mil/AOP/OSOHyattsv ... rogram.htm)
This is an interesting program, however I do find a few points I found reading this. The program was developed for a USMC Major who was going for a world record attempt. In doing this he already had a strong fitness background. I would not recommend this type of program to anyone, especially anyone preparing for PRMC who is unlikely to have the same levels of military fitness.

The USMC style of Pull-up has also often differed to that favored by RM. RM prefer to drop to full extent of arms (the dead hand position). I would expect this type of program to be very difficult if done to RM standards. By all means do repetitions of pull-ups but not to this scale.

Anyone starting out with no real experience would make substantial gains, but then drop into a set level of fitness (as they are not concentrating on other areas of muscles to assist in the pull-ups.

If anything, I would ask two things about this program.

1. Did Major Armstrong achieve the world record?

2. How long ago was this program written? As i suspect it was sometime ago, and not the sort of program I would expect to see written today.

Train hard at the suggested program I have done, and you should easily achieve a strong PRMC pass, (an end of April PRMC would be best to achieve the results by) 8)

"The man who follows the crowd will usually get no further than the crowd. The man who walks alone is likely to find himself in places no one has ever been. --- Alan Ashley Pitt"

Why can't you accept that some days you're the pigeon, and some days you're the statue.
dalo

Post by dalo »

Yeh on your rest days you should definetly just rest, I mean it will keep you motivated because your not under strain all the time.
915 trp every womans pet, every mans regret.
Skiffle

Post by Skiffle »

Sandaz,

You posted this elsewhere. I thought i'd copy and reply to it here as this is where all of my suggestions and information is held. 8)
Sandaz wrote:or8 again ppl, just to keep this thread goin hehehe : i have now found my date out for the eye examination / medical for the 8th Feb.

My Training Routine : ( I work full time still so dnt do any exercise in morning, ie: ( press ups, sit ups, pull ups ) do it all after work, this ok ?

Mon - 35 min run ( not timing yet, but quite confident ) then max pressups, sit ups and pull ups x 3 (REPS) with 1 min rest in between and to fini a few odd exercises.

Tues - Swimming ( Breast stroke only ) for an hour, then press ups, pull ups, sit ups x 3 etc . . .

Wed - Gentle run and then to finish all exercises x 3 reps.

Thur - 35 Min run steady pace, again all exercises x 3 reps.

Fri - Bike ride for around 45 mins on/off road, again exercises x 3 reps.

Sat - 35 min run with 3 x exercise reps. and (extras thru the day).

Sunday - Gym for legs only and to keep testing my 1.5 mile cain out on tred mill, which i have managed 7.23 secs.

Thats about all really, bearing in mind on my steady runs i do burn off sum sprints untill im wrecked then get my heart rate back to normal and repeat.

Any suggestions/advise. ta sanders.
The main thing I find with this routine is the same I have seen in a lot of posts and requests for advice/ just to see what people think/ or try this circuit i'm doing.

Every day you have down a 3x maximum rep's at Pull-up, Press-up and Sit-up. This is overtraining, will make any gains in strength and number of rep's takes longer and you will increase the risk of injury due to overuse of the specific areas.

The main reason I am pointing this out (not just for Sandaz' benefit) is this:

When you Maxout at 100% day after day, your body does not recover and so with it your maximums slowly become reduced to a different level. What this means is that a maximum based on this daily schedule would be higher if you had time to allow your muscles to recover from the routine.

This principle is one of the basics of any form of training. In any form of training (Running, Weight training, Football...) you can not sustain this level of effort while still expecting gains from the training. In doing any form of training, you should work at a level less than that of 100% maximums.

Within doing most training, you can fit in some sessions as 100% maximums, but would generally train at levels differing between 70% and 90% (dependent on the aim of the training program or session).

This point is the same for any type or form of training program/ session.

Now Sandaz, for the review of your actual training program.

Taking on board the point I have made to all above, If you want to improve your abilities and performance at Press-ups, Sit-ups and Pull-ups (presumably for the RMFA Bleep Test), then you would be better off making those gains through Circuits.

The circuits will allow you to work the same specific muscles and work other muscles that you are neglecting by doing specific are training, but will still assist in improving your overall ability.

Circuits will also help on an aspect you have not considered for PRMC, The Assault Course. While Press-ups, Sit-ups and Pull-ups will help you on the bleep test, working the other areas will help you on the assault course as well. If you're not sure of any, I suggested some earlier on in this thread with other advice.

On the treadmill, I would drop that and get out and run round parks, roads (actually having ground under your feet rather than a belt). The same reasons I gave to GJimbo on treadmills apply (see page four of this thread). You will find your 1.5 mile time differs completely on hard ground rather than on a treadmill. I find my times far faster on road than treadmills, and only use a treadmill now for the odd warm up for training rather than actually using one for training.

My final piece of advice on your program is to get some rest days in your program. In the same way I gave general advice to stop doing maximums and see the improvement, you should include rest days (at least one in four) to allow your whole body to recover and allow you to train harder on the individual sessions.

In all the programs I have suggested on this thread, there is a running theme of ensuring recovery is involved and at the very worst a light swim/ cycle or jog.

I have not given you my optional program to consider as you asked for advice elsewhere on the forums. But if you want a suggested one, I can adjust your one to a better option. 8)

Skiffle

Post by Skiffle »

Iareglenn sent me a PM advising of his progress using my suggested Program.

Thanks for the PM, and great to hear your improving both in your physical abilities and in reducing your running times.

Keep it up and you will have no problems with PRMC 8)

Nade

Post by Nade »

heh those circuits mentioned in earlier posts are the ones that i got in my PT booklet when i joined RMR. There all really good ones, especially circuit 1 it was always my fav one to do. Skiffle are you a PTI in RM's?
Skiffle

Post by Skiffle »

Nade,

Those circuits were originally designed for the All Arms Commando Course Candidates to improve there own fitness levels. But they work well for anyone in training or just in general.

There is a separate pre joining program for RMR recruits. I am hoping to find time to produce more advise aimed at running and some other aspects or training.

And I have posted it elsewhere before. I am a RM trained PTI with the RMR. 8)

Nade

Post by Nade »

Ah I thought so since I reconised those circuits from when I was in RMR Scotland. You probably took me for PT one time when I was there ! ! I was there when i was 17, im 20 now. Im gonna be going into full-timers once uni is over, so I will be using those circuits again and other stuff I learned from being in RMR. Good thing I found this site a few weeks ago, since there is an RM PTI about!

Nade
Bliartheliar

Post by Bliartheliar »

Great help there Skiffle, thanks a lot. :D
lil-j '88

i need help with training

Post by lil-j '88 »

sorry to burden you with my problems but im really stuck and dont know where to start with my training, shall i just start following the marines shcedule that you get in the info pack from the AFCO or shud i join a gym or does any1 know a better trainin program that wud more suit a 16 yr old wanting to join the marines within the next 6 months.

help people, but dont worry i know how annoyin this must be . . . :-?
Skiffle

Post by Skiffle »

liL-j '88,

The best thing to do is get a basic bit of conditioning into your body, then assess where you are starting from and develop a program from there.

I would suggest for the first two or three weeks, work to the schedule you have been given, then do a test to see what sort of level you are at ( I can advise you what you should do to test your abbilitys).

From there a program can be set up to work at your specific weakness's while developing the other areas required for your PRMC. Having up to 6 months gives you ample time to get yourself prepared. 8)

lil-j '88

hey skiffle,

Post by lil-j '88 »

hey there, cheers m8, seen as your in the marines n all do u think you cud suggest sume standards i shud be reachin within my 6 motnhs n like you sed how to assess them properly. im not to sure on the press-ups, wot exactly dus it mean by havin elbows in? do your elbows stay by you sides all the time? thnx for puttin in your time. jamie