Share This Page:

1 Para, New Role

General discussions on joining & training in The Parachute Regiment.
Tab

1 Para, New Role

Post by Tab »

There had been quite a bit of talk around over the last couple of weeks about 3 Para splitting away from the Parachute Regiment to form the basis of a New Elite Battalion. Well in the todays statement it has turned out that it is 1 Para that is taking up this role, with a possibly move to Hereford. There has been talk that the Battalion will even specialize in mountain warfare along with many other things, so there should be interesting times ahead for the men of this Battalion. It has also been said that any one can apply for this unit from any of the other three services, well they can do very much the same thing if they want want to join the Para's. The thing I might have a problem is understanding just how a regiment loses it 1st Battalion so is just left with 2 & 3 Battalions, to me it just not sound very logical. Now for the name of this new unit any on any idea's, from what I can see it could wind up being called Parachute Regiment Ranger Section.
neil1955

Post by neil1955 »

I have very little faith in any politican, and none whatsoever in Jeff Hoon.
The regimantal system and its rivalres/jelosies/and good old competion with each other is one of the reasons the british army is the best there is I would even include bootnecks in that grrr paras/marines grrrr they compete they want to be better than each other so they train harder.
Why is it that people who have so little understanding of what motivates young people in particular are given jobs that could ruin a good system. How are british forces to cope with an ever increasing work load with fewer men? Streamlining/restructring my arse he is pennypinching again and who suffers the P B I again.
Plenty money for new typ-hoon-s it seems :evil:
The Brecon Becons still stand Pen-y Fan is still a pain it makes no differance jnr, snr, selection, it stays with you ............

Post by Guest »

Mr Hoon favours investing in high-tech equipment/weapons, going against Gen Sir M Jackson's plans of investing in increasing the size of the field army, and providing them with better equipment.

The army is the smallest it has been for 150 years, and with so much need for our armed forces around the world, it is quite worrying how we will fair against the mighty military machines of the world, if something big flared up in the future.

As for the paras, i wonder if there will be any selection involved to be a member of this new "Special Parachute Battalion", seeing as recruitment will be open to anyone from the three services. Also, i agree with TAB about the undermanning of the other two battalions. Maybe there will be a bigger operational role for 4 Para, TA to make up numbers?

James
CharliePowell

Post by CharliePowell »

So far as I have seen there has been no mention of the pathfinder platoon. Does anyone have a clue if they will be affected?
CharliePowell

Post by CharliePowell »

It will be interesting to see when these new defence changes that affect the Parachute regiment come into play. I dont much fancy being called a Ranger after wanting to be called a Para most of my life. There is a lot of rumours flying around about a new cap badge and beret also. if thats the case then i would not want to be part of it.

I think that what i have just said is the exact reason that the regimental system should not change.
CharliePowell

Post by CharliePowell »

CharliePowell wrote:So far as I have seen there has been no mention of the pathfinder platoon. Does anyone have a clue if they will be affected?
Also..if they are re-structuring 1 Para...but creating a tri service battallion, how could they keep the full manpower of 1Para and still bring new troops from other regiments or services? it will not be known as 1Para and they will not all be Paras. therefore the Parachute Regiment are losing a battallion.

Surely what they are actually doing is disbanding 1Para and taking some of the men from it to man this new regiment.
Maglight

Post by Maglight »

TJD wrote:I also gather that the TA Para is also going to be scaled back - the money is now in SF.
I am currently a 4 Para recruit and was told a couple of months ago by our CSM that they were intending to increase the size of 4 Para as a result of how well they did in Iraq. I've also heard that they may be opening a TA centre for 4 Para in Liverpool, which would also suggest that they are increasing the numbers.
Tab

Post by Tab »

From what I have read and heard, 1 Para woll remain as 1 Para, but there could be a tag put on behind the title. I would think that the structure of the Battalion will change, and new skills will need to be learned. Last time 1 Para was in Iraq they did a lot of covert and observation work with great success. As far as being a Tri Service Battalion well at the moment nearly any one can apply for the Para's, and all they have to do is pass the P Course, I would think things would rather be like they where back in the 1950's when the Regiment only took trained soldiers, or in this case experienced soldiers. I would think that they all would need to be Parachute trained as it is one of the many ways you can insert troops or small teams. Now there was a question about Pathfinders Platoon, well each man will have be a specalist in his own right, as far as I can see there are more than likely to be small squads or teams rather than companies that would be sent out to work independantly rather than in company or platoon strength. As General; Jackson said the Para's only form 2% of the Army but [procvide almost 90% of the SAS Special Forces rather like the Marines provide almost 100% of the SBS.
Leigh Dowell

1 Para, New Role

Post by Leigh Dowell »

Excuse if you would a bootneck putting his two pennies worth in, but it strikes me that the army may have lost 5 Infantry Battalions in the re-org.
If this new "ranger" unit gets up and running I imagine they will be under the auspice of DSF and that would mean that they wouldn't be available for roulement tours in NI, Iraq, Afghanistan etc thus stretching the red line thinner.
I hope they adopt a trickle draft system like the RMs do so these "rangers" can go back to their units and share the skills and experiences they will know doubt develop and undergo.
As for 3Cdo BRF and the Pathfinders I imagine they will remain brigade assets within their current orbats but they may have to undergo ranger training to make sure they are all singing off the same hymn sheet.
Thanks for listening and I hope you understand how hard it was for a bootneck typing and thinking at the same time.
cheers Leigh
Tab

Post by Tab »

Leigh,

On your point about rotating the soldiers, now they are starting of with all the soldiers from 1 Para, are you going to throw them out of their Regiment every couple of years. I think it would be more cost effective is to leave them their once they are trained till they can't hack it any more or when they they have finished their stint in the forces. The other way you spending all your time training and not getting any where. I would think that this new unit would be involved in N/Ireland and Afghanistan but in other roles rather than normal infantry.
Leigh Dowell

1 Para, New Role

Post by Leigh Dowell »

Fair point Tab, I'm just speculating as is everyone else at this point, I just wonder how they are going to do this.
The treasury are in charge and the Army want a battalion of highly trained individuals on call to go any where in the world at the drop of a hat and I can't see them putting them in Kosovo or Afghanistan for 6 month tours, so the rest of the army/marines will have to take up the slack. It seems to me that a battalion has been taken off the books.
With the trickle drafting I do see what your saying, I imagine there will be a selection process to get into the unit and naturally with men going outside or getting injured more will join, but will they have the money for shadow ranks or to get promoted will you have to RTU and come back later, obviously minds greater than mine have the answer somewhere in Whitehall but it's fun guessing.
Cheers Leigh
Whilst I may disagree with what you say, I will fight to the death for your right to say it.
Voltaire
neil1955

Post by neil1955 »

Hoon Dances to Gordans tune. :evil:
The Brecon Becons still stand Pen-y Fan is still a pain it makes no differance jnr, snr, selection, it stays with you ............
Tab

Post by Tab »

Leigh ole chum, it is the reading of the roons that makes it a bit more fun, and to see just how close you can come to the actual outcome. I must admit that I have a slight head start from briefing I had a few weeks back while I was in Dover.