Share This Page:

Potential Royal Marines Fitness Schedule

All Royal Marines related articles, frequently asked questions and other useful information in here.
Jamie T

Post by Jamie T »

Is it alright to do the exercise on the machine at the gym......the one where you sit with your chest supported and pull the handles towards you. Can't remember the name but it's the same movement.
Or should I do it properly with my own body weight?

Hope you understand what I'm on about.

-Jamie-
Relax ; Nothing is under control
PJFT - 9:16

Post by Jagger »

Yes, on that exercise you're talking about I would go for a really heavy weight on that machine as in training you'll be doing it off one of those wooden bars that they can lower down to the ground. It isn't a requisite exercise for training, but you'll be doing alot of them during the first 9 weeks (gym phase) or so. The method dannyd mentions is the way to do them if you do not have access to a frame or anything else they could be done on.

You'll lie on the ground stomach up reach up to the bar and pull your body weight up, sort of like a reverse pushup. It's a hard exercise when you're already knackered and something which I didn't train myself before training for some stupid reason. Go for max repititions in X amount of time. To make the exercise harder wrap a towel around the bar so the bar will be wider and thus will train your grip more, in training the wooden bar is pretty thick so good grip is need, this goes for the pullups too.
Jamie T

Post by Jamie T »

Also, should I practice holding the exercise at the chest point (arms bent) or do you just stop when you're on the ground (arms straight)? How many reps should I be aiming for aswell?

I do grip training already:

- wrist curl (15kgs / 15 reps)
- reverse wrist curl (15kgs / 10 reps)
- body weight hangs (1min, rest 30 sec / 30 secs, rest 15 / 15 secs, back up to 1 min)
- that little spring grip thing with the two handles you push together (100reps) (sorry, forgot the name)

The hardest of all is the bodyweight hangs. They fry my grip for at least 30 mins. I also do it in a circuit around the gym so I am pretty knackered when I do the grip training.

cheers.

-Jamie-
Relax ; Nothing is under control
PJFT - 9:16

Post by freestyler_onli »

When i was 16- i shattered my left elbow in a footballing accident. Now (4 yrs on) its perfectly fine,strong and moving freely- will this pose a problem at all?
Bloody Arse!
davo141

Post by davo141 »

i broke my collar bone last may and 4weeks later i was fully into, my inadequet PRMC training program, argubely it hurt at first but once it got use to it was okay..injuries only stall training unless they are severe..

ive also started to include free hangs on my pull up bar for maximum time after my pull up sets, then some negative reps...

cheers, davo
Forward Troop - CLRRM, Viking Operator and Maintainer. Viking Support Troop out in The Ghan.
freestyler_onli

AAAh thanks again! I ask a lot of q's purely to make sure i got everyhting covered- i dont wanna go through all these hard fitness programmes and wotnot-only to be failed for having something wrong with my elbow! :wink:
Bloody Arse!
davo141

Post by davo141 »

questions are fine long as they arent dreaded ones such as your mam or your mates mam, paras v marines, sas sbs etcc where people get aggitated...

what scores etc you getting at the moment and when you embarking down to CTC (if it is the marines you are going for!)

cheers, davo
Forward Troop - CLRRM, Viking Operator and Maintainer. Viking Support Troop out in The Ghan.
freestyler_onli

To be honest- the last fitness programme i tried was for the Met poice- this is a completely different way of training, so i havent really started to note times down until i get familiar with it. I wont apply until October because thats when i can withdraw my Met application. So a long time to get mega fit then! :D
Bloody Arse!
AngryBillyBob

Post by AngryBillyBob »

Hey, iv just been doing the Potential officers one and i can do it 2 times over (after many weeks), so, you think ill be able to get through the training then or am i in for a big suprise?
"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other ******* die for his."
General George Patton
maple

Post by maple »

hey i was just wondering if i was to work out quite intensley for 2-3months woild i be ready to try joining the marines?
davo141

Post by davo141 »

i was looking through this programme in the green book you get and was thinking...this really will just scrape people through prmc!!!

it doesnt seem alot aerobically and strength wise does it...it works out at 30 x 3 press ups? only an average at best score possible maybes?

just thinking maybe the program should be revised and toughened!

cheers, davo
Aldo

Post by Aldo »

It says to keep going and adding an extra 5 or so reps to each circuit every week doesn't it? Still it is a bit minimul. Although I've been trying a few different circuits over the past few months and I definatley got the best results doing the green booklet one. I've made my own circuit based on that one that's working pretty well up to now.
"This far and no further" - Britain, World War 1 & 2
shifty_uk

Post by shifty_uk »

After visiting the Navy(marines) careers office today and having a long talk with the careers officer(s) and a short video, he gave me quite a few booklets and information packs including this exact Fitness Schedule in a little booklet including all the stuff thats on that web page, so hopefully im gonna start it when i come back from Camp in 2 weeks :D

Thanks !!
[url=http://www.max-design.tk][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v93/shifty_uk/grunge_dj.jpg[/img][/url]
^^CLICK THE SIG FOR MAX DESIGN AND MAX DJ^^
matteboy

Post by matteboy »

Does anyone know how I can improve my run times?? I can make the 3 miles but not the time( am about 24mins at the mo with a lot of hills on the run), my Prmc isnt for abut 2 months so I have a while to train. Any help would be much appreciated :o
Here we go
robj

Post by robj »

In the future you might save abit of time if you had a look at previous threads before you make a post :wink:

have a look at this viewtopic.php?t=5166