Share This Page:

Pathfinders

Discussions about those units who make up The Parachute Regiment.
joe

Pathfinders

Post by joe »

Perhaps any serving or former Paras can answer a few questions about the Pathfinders... ?

How long does one have to serve in the Parachute Regiment before applying for the Pathfinders? Also, do you have to be a member of the Regiment to apply, or can anyone who is in 16 Air Assault apply (e.g. someone from 7RHA apply for it?) .... just wondering really, I can't find a great deal of information about them on the web...

Cheers,
Joe
El Prez

Post by El Prez »

ABI is probably your best bet for info.

If however you ask a Bootneck, he'll probably tell you that the Pathfinders are the Para Regt's 'Synchronised Salsa Ballroom Dancing Championship Team'. But I couldn't possibly comment. :lol:
You should talk to somebody who gives a f**k.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v77/Robiz/movie_star_wars_yoda.gif[/img]
El Presidente
Bob Sidmond

Post by Bob Sidmond »

Poof Finders....yep you can join from the REME if you want however you will have to pass their selection first if your going to go for it get your first promotion qual under your belt first. somthing to fall back on.
ABI

Post by ABI »

Joe

Theres some stuff about them on the MOD Para site follow the link at the bottom of the main index.

Had a couple of mates in the Pathfinders, selection is quite hard (long tabs etc) but it's open to all arms even those not serving in an Airborne unit. However, those that apply generally come from within the brigade.

Heard a vicious rumour that if a bloke from a line infantry Regt wants to join and passes the PF selection he doe's not have to do P-Coy (F*~king disgrace) before going to Brize. How true this is I couldn't say.

The lads I knew were very good soldiers, that said some of the PF lads tended to get a bit 'big-time' about what they did and if your face didn't fit then it was unlikely that you would get in, but it takes all sorts I suppose.

As Bob said above its best to have a pop at it once you have a few years in, they tend to get rid of the glory boys pretty quick.
joe

Post by joe »

Thanks ABI, I checked out the link at the MoD, it covers most of the basics. I was wondering about the joining requirements cos I'm going through the recruitment process at the moment and didn't want to join a unit that would exclude me from trying out for Pathfinders - although, having said that, I'm still aiming for the Paras anyway so I'll be OK on that score ;)

Joe
Tab

Post by Tab »

Pathfinders are normal soldiers with a fair bit of service, they will be parachuted in before the main drop. Now it could Hi level drop and you then have glide to the DZ and set the radios and check out the DZ to make sure it is safe, or you can be dropped in and open your chute at a very low level and carry out the same work, but it is about stealth and guile.
theparamancan

Post by theparamancan »

I thought pathfinders just did p-coy again but had to meet a higher standard
lew

Post by lew »

always wondered can pathfinder selection be likened to sas selection, and would being a pathfinder be a good way to judge if your good enough for the sas

pls relpy

lew :n00b:
ABI

Post by ABI »

The lads I knew who have joined PF basically said that selection involves a mixture of long tabs, PT, fieldcraft, weapons training and testing of all round skills (sigs, medical etc) and test exercises all of which are carried out under pressure. You have to remember the guys going for PF have usually been in for five or more years and possibly with rank so they are experianced people.

As for preparing them for SAS selection, couldn't say. Quite a few make the move or have a go at it but it's no banker to get you in. I would say you have just as much chance to pass SAS selection if your from a rifle company as from PF Plt [/i]
Cobalt

Post by Cobalt »

Slightly off subject: do the PARA Battalions still have Patrols Platoons?
- Cobalt

"It's always funny until someone gets hurt - then it's hilarious"
The JaCkAl

Post by The JaCkAl »

What's Alpine assault?
[img]http://www.terravista.pt/nazare/1382/armas/tanque04.gif[/img] "Stop dreaming and start training and you could look like me" [img]http://www.mingers.com/images/menu_pics/menu_pic_weekclassic.gif[/img]
Kev

Post by Kev »

lew wrote:always wondered can pathfinder selection be likened to sas selection, and would being a pathfinder be a good way to judge if your good enough for the sas

pls relpy

lew :n00b:
Na mate, completly differnet kind of training. PF training, as someone already said is more about doing the training you were taught but at a higher level and under pressure.

Special Forces training is far more in depth and harsher!
99.99% need not apply
judy29

Post by judy29 »

pathfinder training is similar in many aspects but they dont do counter terrorism work 0X
DelD

Post by DelD »

Bob is correct, you can join the pathfinders from the REME, I knew a man who did just that, although unfortunately he is now deceased.
RobT

Post by RobT »

From Soldier magazine

Wanted: New Pathfinders

FIT and well motivated volunteers of any cap badge are being sought for a selection course being run by 16 Air Assault Brigade’s Pathfinder Platoon. Soldiers must be of lance corporal or below rank. Previous Airborne Forces experience is preferable but not essential. For details of the course, which runs from February 1 to March 12, call the Ops warrant officer on 94651 3178.

Do many guys from Line regiments get through PF selection?