Share This Page:

Special Boat Service New Cap Badge

General discussions on joining & training within Special Forces.
Jason The Argonaut

Special Boat Service New Cap Badge

Post by Jason The Argonaut »

Navy special force to have its profile raised to SAS level
By Michael Smith, Defence Correspondent
(Filed: 16/09/2002)

The Special Boat Service is to get a new cap badge as part of "a corporate make-over" to give it as high a profile as its Army special forces rival, the SAS.

The Royal Navy's SBS has traditionally been part of the Royal Marine Commandos and its members wear the same green beret and cap badge as their commando colleagues, leaving the service struggling to create its own identity.

Where its presence on the ground is overt, its operations are usually credited to the commandos and when it takes part in covert special forces operations the credit invariably goes to the SAS.

"There has been a problem with the image of the SBS for some time," one senior source said. "The fact is that these days the SBS are on a par with the SAS. They often take over from each other on operational tasks and covert duties."

Although the SBS traditionally came under the control of the Royal Marines, and only recruited from among the commandos, in recent years command of the unit has passed to the Director Special Forces, who is also in charge of the SAS.

Over the past year, another link to the Royal Marines has been severed with the introduction of joint selection for both the SAS and the SBS. Now any member of the armed forces can join either unit. As a result, the unit has doubled in size to about 230 men.

A number of ex-soldiers, including a former Parachute Regiment captain, are now members of the SBS and wear their old cap badge on the green beret.

Senior officers want to replace the Royal Marines "Globe and Laurel" cap badge with a new insignia which all SBS members can wear, although the unit is expected to retain the elite green beret in recognition of its link to the commandos.

The SBS already has an unofficial emblem, which incorporates a frog, paddles and a parachute, but the new badge is expected to be a more sober image combining the traditional special forces dagger with elements of its commando tradition.

The SBS, based in Poole, Dorset, was created during the Second World War as the Special Boat Section, earning its nickname as "the Cockleshell Heroes" after a 1942 raid on German ships in Bordeaux harbour.

Five two-man teams, each paddling a collapsible canoe or "cockle", attached limpet mines to the ships. Only two of the 10 Cockleshell Heroes escaped. Six were executed by the Germans and two are believed to have drowned.

After the Second World War the SBS, now the Special Boat Squadron, was re-organised into boat units and deployed around the world. Then, in the 1980s, the name was changed to Special Boat Service.

The unit played a key role in the Falklands war when they swam ashore ahead of the Task Force to identify the beaches weeks before the main landing force arrived.

To earn the status of Swimmer Canoeist, the traditional SBS trade, potential members must be able to canoe five miles at night on the open sea in a two-man team to a landmark from where they march for 30 miles. They must also be able to swim two miles and dive underwater the length of a pool twice, before jumping off the top diving board blindfolded wearing full equipment.

The SBS plays a key role in the war against drugs, using high-powered interceptor speedboats around the British coastline to catch smugglers in support of Customs and Excise.
So what was the badge of the SBS before this new one, was it just the Royal Marine badge ?
I fight for my corner and secondly I leave when the pub closes. - Winston Churchill [img]http://www.world-of-smilies.de/html/images/smilies/teufel/smilie_vampire.gif[/img]
Aldo

Post by Aldo »

I think SBS members wore the cap badge from there previous regiment on a green lid like the Royal's.
para_lee

Post by para_lee »

seems fair enough to me if there are now Paras in the ranks as well as Royals I hope it doesn't raise their profile much though from what I have read they are proud of having a lower profile than the SAS and I can see why.

Lee
rabby

Post by rabby »

Their profile should stay as low as posible, the SAS don't want the huge attention they get now, its a hinderance to their operations, especially when they get blabbed about all the world in papers and books. We don't the SBS to go the same way do we? Also lowering the standards of selection is not the right way to increase manpower needs.
There are 3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

Post by Guest »

What do you think of the logo itself?

They should have kept "Not by Strength, by Guile" and not edited it :-? Apart from that its ok i suppose...although a Yank might look at the two stripes and start referring to everyone as Corporal :lol:
davo141

Post by davo141 »

Not a bad design, could of been a hell of alot worse knowning political influences these days, have the iraqi flag and what not on so not offened any republican guard...maybe a north koren motif so not to offend when we side with Mr.C*nt again..

looks a good design, glad to see they kept some parts true such as the SF dagger and if a slightly improvised moto, all could change yet thou!

cheers, dave
lew

Post by lew »

Personally I don’t like it, and your right they should of kept the old saying and not change it, although I guess the new one is truer...

lew
All I want in life is a cold beer, a fast car, a big F**King gun and a hot woman to fetch the beer, and clean the car! is that really to much to ask? - Quotes by a redneck.com

recruit test 21 march - PASSED
medical 30 march - PASSED
interview 30 march - PASSED
PJFT - 11 april - PASSED 9:18
PRMC - 7th - 10th JUNE. PASSED
foundation - 29th August
Aldo

Post by Aldo »

There's definatley somthing thats bugging me about the design, maybe it'ts the symetry (however you spell it). Personaly I like the old, unofficial, one but without the dopy looking frog, but thats just my opinion.
lew

Post by lew »

Also something else I noticed, why does it have a roman centurion sword and not the commando dagger :-? ...

lew
All I want in life is a cold beer, a fast car, a big F**King gun and a hot woman to fetch the beer, and clean the car! is that really to much to ask? - Quotes by a redneck.com

recruit test 21 march - PASSED
medical 30 march - PASSED
interview 30 march - PASSED
PJFT - 11 april - PASSED 9:18
PRMC - 7th - 10th JUNE. PASSED
foundation - 29th August
chunky from york

Post by chunky from york »

Right kiddies, gather round and I will show you how to upset Royal :D

In WWII at the conclusion of the desert campaign, in North Africa, The Special Air Service was split into two still wearing the beige beret and winged dagger cap badge, to fight on in the Aegean.
Half was called the Special Raiding Squadron (SRS) and the other half The Special Boat Squadron (SBS). :o

With me so far?

Since the SBS is now returning to the fold', it seems to me there would be a good argument for going back to wearing a beige beret and a winged dagger cap badge.

Right I'm off :lol: :lol:
Chunky from York

I may not be the man I was, but I was
Andy O'Pray

Post by Andy O'Pray »

Not biting Chunky. You forgot to mention how important the LRDG was to the SAS in North Africa, without whom they would never have got to half of the objectives.

Aye - Andy. :lol: :lol:
chunky from york

Andy, I agreer with you, but feel I should point out that there Regimental Magazine has been (voluntarily) absorbed into Mars & Minerva, the Regimental Magazine of the SAS.

Anyway perhaps if they had worn a beige beret they might not have been disbanded.

Unfortunately people forget just how much the Regiment owes to the LRDG :oops:
Chunky from York

voodoo sprout

Post by voodoo sprout »

Personally I'm taking that with a handful of salt, not only is the dagger probably wrong, and the motto changed, but the picture is from the Sun. Hence, it is most probably a load of codswallop dreamed up by a Sun bloke; and I'm wondering why in principle it's very similar to the SAS (sword in sea as against sword with wings), I expect they themselves would want something a bit different.
Fluffy bunnies - Grrrrr!
Shoulderholster

Post by Shoulderholster »

Chunks
Lets not forget that for a couple of years the SAS wore a red beret.So who's returning to the fold?.
SH
[url=http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/groupcp.php?g=397][img]http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/images/usergroups/listener.gif[/img][/url]
chunky from york

Shoulder, The Parachute Regiment was originally called the Special Air Service. Thats why David Stirling used the name,to con the Germans into thinking they were a Para Battalion. :o

When formed in North Africa the SAS actually wore white berets. But this caused too many fights in the Bars of Cairo, so it was changed to beige (or sand coloured if you prefer). :(

But as you pointed out, they did indeed wear a MAROON beret, I believe the RMP wear 'red'. :roll: :roll:
Chunky from York