Share This Page:

Worst/Best Posting in the forces

General Military Chat. New to the forums? Introduce yourself, Who are you and where are you from?

Worst/Best Posting in the forces

Post by Guest »

:D

Sssssooooooo what was your worst or best posting.

Mine was El Adem, Libya, downtown Baghdad looked like paradise to Tobruk (even after the recent bombing!), the nearest restaurant was 300 miles away in Benghazi.

Accomodation was great, unlike the Army bods in the bondu who had to survive in tents if they were lucky, at least we had corrugated alumunium roofs to draw a little more heat into the building!!.

The food was something else, even the cockroaches wouldn't eat it!

An occasional parade at 1400hrs, as an endurance test, where only mad dogs and crabs went out in the noonday sun wearing a compatible (sic) serge blue SD hat with Khaki, the slacks having 43 yards of material (each leg) to act as ship in full sail in a Ghibley (Sandstorm)

The 4000 miles of roads on camp had whitewashed stones lining the route for visiting dignitories, I'm sure each one was numbered!

Sssssssoooooo......what about your beef..........
Cinders

Best Posting

Post by Cinders »

Would have to be Cyprus we were there before the 1974 war and had a wonderful time out there. Sea Sand and Kokinelli (red wine supplied free with meals). It was after living in Cyprus we decided we wanted to move to a better climate and we came to Australia. Worst posting none really we reckon it was great moving around and living in different places. I must admit we did used to moan about packing those boxes but tell you what we would do it all over again. Have been back to CY a few times since and it is still lovely busier I grant you, if we didnt live here in Oz we could definitely live there. :scatter: :rainbow1:
May the sun always shine on you.
El Prez

Post by El Prez »

Arbroath, like living in a Lowry painting. :(
You should talk to somebody who gives a f**k.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v77/Robiz/movie_star_wars_yoda.gif[/img]
El Presidente
Rotary Booty

Post by Rotary Booty »

Worst posting was to the Royal Marines Reserve Tyne, I think as an interpreter, being a Geordie with a house in Tavistock, Devon. :-?
It was going to take me off flying, AGAIN, and I resigned my commission to avoid it happening!

Best posting was the Gazelle Intensive Flying Trials Unit at Middle Wallop. Hours and hours of pure flying bliss! :lol:
Andy O'Pray

Post by Andy O'Pray »

Worst posting had to be HMS Ganges, living with those strange matelot types, however, it only lasted three months and I escaped back to 45 cdo, Arbroath. Unlike El Prez, I quite liked living in a Lowry painting.

I could not really come up with a best, enjoyed most of them. I did spend two weeks R&R from Aden at an RAF base on an island, Masirah. That had to be the asshole of the world. Nothing to do but lie on the beach drinking beer while watching turtles laying eggs. As I recall the mess never closed.

I suppose Singapore had to be good, but I even liked Aden.

I know, I am a sick, confused individual.

Aye - Andy. :silly: :silly: :silly:
bootneck

Post by bootneck »

I think the best draft in the Corps at the moment is the one "Big Mac" had before joining 40 Cdo in the latter part of last year, the draft? Diego Garcia, 8)
Tab

Post by Tab »

As a National Serviceman in the 50's the only place that was half good was when we where posted to RAF Station Abingdon for our Para training.
The rest of the time it was wooden huts, Tents, or sleeping rough in the open which we did most of the time as we were always out on patrol.
Still they did not charge you any thing for getting shot at.

Post by Guest »

:D
Andy
Shotley, I live across the water from there, everything run down now, has been closed for yonks. Never been to Arbroath, but Lowry conjures up 'matchstick men/cats/dogs' and a grimey Oldham (?) Are you aware that there is a dedicated web site for Masirah, aaaarrrrggghhhh!!!

Bootneck

DG I'll bet that is Paradise, spent a little while north of there at Gan in the Maldives, Paradise II

Tab, hi matey

Post by Guest »

8)

Owdan/, is that where the 'bumboats' originated in the ar$ehole of the world, weren't those tribes called sueir haloof or similar, yes I too recall going through that cesspit out to Aden and back, aaaaarrrrgggghhhh!
bootneck

Post by bootneck »

spanners, big mac should be joining us on the forum shortly, check this link out

viewtopic.php?t=2200
soldierblue

Post by soldierblue »

:( Flack Street Mill NI horrid place :roll:
Andy O'Pray

Post by Andy O'Pray »

Spannerman, El Adem, I recall 40 cdo crawling out ,after numerous weeks in the sand, and into a couple of hangers at El Adem, circa 1960. If my memory serves me right some of our crew were barred from the JNCO's club.

Aye - Andy. :drinking:

Post by Guest »

:o

What a tip Andy, three years b4 my time. Think everyone was banned from respective messes/NAAFI's there at some time, were you on exercise in the bondu.

When we did bomb dump guard there (it came round every 6 weeks) we were stuck 1 mile from Air Traffic Control on the far side of the airfield, we had a field telephone on an above landline, a whistle and a torch with a snot sized bulb, bleedin' marvellous if an army of A-rabs suddenly ascended on you, can't imagine 40 Cde having anything as sophisticated as that eh?
Andy O'Pray

Post by Andy O'Pray »

Spannerman, We were based in Malta. Every several months we would move to North Africa and do a re-run of the WW2 desert campaign. I recall getting stoned on bannana wine in Tripoli, while stealing the Arabs shoes from outside the mosque. Some of us got arrested for playing football with a tin can outside King Idris's palace. Those were the days, young and carefree.

Aye - Andy. :evil: :evil: :evil: