Share This Page:

Tried to join the RAF

General Military Chat. New to the forums? Introduce yourself, Who are you and where are you from?
BritinAfrica

Tried to join the RAF

Post by BritinAfrica »

My son attempted to join the RAF from here in South Africa. They asked for a load of gumpf such as proof of nationality and so on. Finally he received a reply from them stating that they would need to do a back ground check over the past three years, which they are unable to do in South Africa. Needless to say my son was gutted big time.

However, he was informed by a friendly South African copper that they are looking for whites to join the South African Police as forensic detectives. He applied, interviewed, passed his fitness test and medical. Finally today he was informed that he has been accepted. I have never seen such a huge grin on the lads face. In the new year he attends the SAP college for 6 months, then onto forensic studies.
London Boy

Post by London Boy »

Good for him and all the best to him mate.
BritinAfrica

Post by BritinAfrica »

Thanks Boet, I appreciate it.

I reckon he's in for a bit of a shock though, SAP training is very much like military basic training. Weapons training on 9mm Para pistol, 12 bore pump and selective fire R5 assault rifles, plus of course CS training.
Pilgrim Norway

Post by Pilgrim Norway »

:D

What a run around !

Reminded me of an oppo I met ( in rehabilitation, what else ?
at Chessington, near the Zoo - not IN the Zoo )

A South African through and through....
He had actually walked from SA in order to join the Corps.
(with a couple of wet bits)

Well done your lad !
Trog
45 Recce yomper

[url=http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/groupcp.php?g=397][img]http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/images/usergroups/listener.gif[/img][/url]
timex

Post by timex »

Shame he couldn't get in but no doubt he'll do well where he is, Good luck to him...RAF's loss.
BritinAfrica

Post by BritinAfrica »

timex wrote:Shame he couldn't get in but no doubt he'll do well where he is, Good luck to him...RAF's loss.
Thanks for the encouragement guys, it really is appreciated.

My son and I are very close, we always have been, I was dreading him going to UK to join the RAF.

I think he will enjoy the challenge of forensics, I think he would find it extremely satisfying if he can “nick” and put away a bad'un. He's already practicing his, “Your nicked sunshine.” His little sister is already calling him "PIG, OLD BILL, BACON," she's complaining her friends are going to avoid her lol. Me and his mum are chuffed to little NAAFI breaks.

As an aside, the RAF hasn't been a lucky service for my family, one became an NCO rear gunner on Lancs was shot down and killed over Germany, another in the RAF was taken POW in Java, and died on the Sandekan death march 26th March 1945. Members of the family admitted to me after my time in the RAF was up, they fully didn't expect me to come home. I suppose that was another thing in the back of my mind if my son had joined the RAF.