Share This Page:

Padres + P Coy

Discussions about those units who make up The Parachute Regiment.
tutor

Padres + P Coy

Post by tutor »

Out of interest, do the Padres in the paras have to pass P coy or just get their wings or none of the above ?

with thanks

:)
jay999

Post by jay999 »

I shouldnt think a padre would need to do p coy as they are not actually in the regt they are attached in the same way someone like a chef is attached they serve with their corps and therefore have their corps colours. However if the padres wear the maroon beret(i dont think they do) then they would have to pass pcoy.
Tab

Post by Tab »

There are many people attached to Para's who wear the Beret but are penguins, these are the people that have never done the P Course or have done their eight jumps. You might just find the odd padre who will go through it but they are few and far between

Post by Guest »

Jay excluding special forces here, but the only beret you 'earn' in the British forces is the 'Commando Green' beret (i believe non-commando qualified personnel wear black berets?) whilst with the Maroon beret all you need to do is get attached to an Airborne unit. :drinking:
harry hackedoff

Post by harry hackedoff »

Tab mate, I`ll hold your coat 8)
Wahoo Mahomet :wink:
[url=http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/groupcp.php?g=397][img]http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/images/usergroups/listener.gif[/img][/url]
Tab

Post by Tab »

In some ways he is quite correct, all glider regiments wore the Red Beret and own unit badge, these men are quite welcome to join the local branches of Parachute Regiment Association. This has not yet been extended to the units of the 16th Air Assault. The things that stand the Para out from the rest is his wings along with his beret, and his attitude.
harry hackedoff

Post by harry hackedoff »

Paras with an attitude? :-?
Naw, it`ll never catch on :P
[url=http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/groupcp.php?g=397][img]http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/images/usergroups/listener.gif[/img][/url]
Hantslad

Post by Hantslad »

RN Chaplains that serve with Commando forces have to pass the commando course. Although they have extra commando tests that the DS set up for them, such as walking on water! (its a true story).
THEY STOOD IN THE DOOR

Re: Padres + P Coy

Post by THEY STOOD IN THE DOOR »

tutor wrote:Out of interest, do the Padres in the paras have to pass P coy or just get their wings or none of the above ?

with thanks

i remember a padre a few yrs back who done most of the events - inc the milling! just to get a taste of what the blokes have to do. he also done his jumps. he said he didnt have to either but wanted to so he felt he had some connection with the blokes. he went to 2 para.

also a padre in 1 para about 6 yrs ago had his wings but dont know if he done p coy.
Rogue Chef

Post by Rogue Chef »

This is from a thread on OAMAAM.
Can anyone confirm the dit that a troop of NODS did P Company and broke all the records many moons ago.
I remember hearing about this many years ago, but never had it confirmed. There are a few replies stating that it is a nice story, but one member offers this explanation:
This stems from a Junior troop back in the early 70s (73/74) who were involved in a military tattoo at Pirbright and who were given the chance to try out the trainasium whilst in the area.

From the dit I heard extra shore leave was the carrot quietly thrown in by the training team to the troop. The troop went off, selected half a dozen runners and they went for it big style.

No records were broken but the Juniors attitude to the object on a whole was that it was worth falling off to just get the extra shore leave.

After the team crossed there was alot of huffing and puffing from the assembled perces who had thought there was going to be a lot chickening out and that the Corps would have a lot of egg on their faces.

They then had a problem in the fact that it was now having got the feel for it the team wanted to have another go as well as the rest of the troop.

And that did not please people so it was endex.

So again no records involved as I don't think the trainasium is a timed run but a good account created just the same.
Anyone shed any light?
London Boy

Re: Padres + P Coy

Post by London Boy »

THEY STOOD IN THE DOOR wrote:
tutor wrote:Out of interest, do the Padres in the paras have to pass P coy or just get their wings or none of the above ?

with thanks

i remember a padre a few yrs back who done most of the events - inc the milling! just to get a taste of what the blokes have to do. he also done his jumps. he said he didnt have to either but wanted to so he felt he had some connection with the blokes. he went to 2 para.

also a padre in 1 para about 6 yrs ago had his wings but dont know if he done p coy.
Ey up lad, this thread is THREE years old! Shurely shome mishtake, too much of the pre-xmas sherry perhapshsh? :D
got1

Post by got1 »

[quote="Rogue Chef"]This is from a thread on OAMAAM.

[quote]Can anyone confirm the dit that a troop of NODS did P Company and broke all the records many moons ago.[/quote]

I remember hearing about this many years ago, but never had it confirmed. There are a few replies stating that it is a nice story, but one member offers this explanation:

[quote]This stems from a Junior troop back in the early 70s (73/74) who were involved in a military tattoo at Pirbright and who were given the chance to try out the trainasium whilst in the area.

From the dit I heard extra shore leave was the carrot quietly thrown in by the training team to the troop. The troop went off, selected half a dozen runners and they went for it big style.

No records were broken but the Juniors attitude to the object on a whole was that it was worth falling off to just get the extra shore leave.

After the team crossed there was alot of huffing and puffing from the assembled perces who had thought there was going to be a lot chickening out and that the Corps would have a lot of egg on their faces.

They then had a problem in the fact that it was now having got the feel for it the team wanted to have another go as well as the rest of the troop.

And that did not please people so it was endex.

So again no records involved as I don't think the trainasium is a timed run but a good account created just the same.[/quote]

Can't shed any light on above, but we used to have to stop the local kids playing on it at w/ends (including my daughter) but they didn't have to do any other P Coy stuff at the same time.