Share This Page:

Careers After The Military?

General Military Chat. New to the forums? Introduce yourself, Who are you and where are you from?
harry hackedoff

Post by harry hackedoff »

It`s like far protection but a bit nearer 8)
this time I`d go straight
That`ll be the day Shadders :P
As if :roll:
[url=http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/groupcp.php?g=397][img]http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/images/usergroups/listener.gif[/img][/url]
Sisyphus

Post by Sisyphus »

sportbilly42 wrote: speed humps..... I probably did them! Or if you're held up big style...it's cos I've been tweaking the traffic lights
Billy

Since you brought the subject up! :-? 8)

Are traffic lights 'tweakable' for the purposes of controlling road speed or should they be used solely for controlling the direction and flow of traffic?

Our access road has more speed humps/speed cushions on it than any other road in Halton - AND they're also using traffic lights to slow the traffic down - and they're sited not 30m away from the nearest speed cushions. AAAAaaarghhh!!!! :evil:
jabcrosshook

Post by jabcrosshook »

I hate the traffic lights where I live, even if your the only car at the cross roads you still have to wait ages for it to go through each one before it comes to you, I blame this on you billy.
sportbilly42

Post by sportbilly42 »

Councils eh? :roll: We work in partnership with the police to make sure their Traffic Plods can keep their figures up and ‘Do’ drivers going 2mph over etc. :( It’s handy knowing your way around traffic law though with this job mind ….. I’ve managed to weedle out of loads of parking tickets cos there’s been something wrong with the parking over the past couple of years.

As far as the more technical question from Sisyphus: It's bad practise to control speed by traffic lights but not unusual (cos it's a cheaper option) No more technical questions please......my brain hurts....
Sisyphus

Post by Sisyphus »

sportbilly42 wrote: As far as the more technical question from Sisyphus: It's bad practise to control speed by traffic lights but not unusual (cos it's a cheaper option)
Trouble is the toe-rags are doing both! :evil: And as well as speed humps, speed cushions and 'incorrectly' phased traffic lights they've put in 'pedestrian crossing points' which have ramps a Challenger MBT would have trouble getting over.

Because they're not zebra crossings cars rarely stop for pedestrians - and when they do the cars coming the other way usually don't!! :o

They cause more 'near-misses' than I've seen at any other point where pedestrians and traffic 'mingle' :roll: :(
sportbilly42

Post by sportbilly42 »

Not after a job are you? Sound like you know what you're jabbering on about.. can't be having that, it's a bluffers paradise in my line of work...
Sisyphus

Post by Sisyphus »

Billy

I would but I just noticed you're RE - and you might know Mick Willis.

That'd be my references blown out of the water! :wink:
harry hackedoff

Post by harry hackedoff »

Has anyone lost an anorak :-?

Let`s see if there`s a name in it shall we? :roll:

Oooh, Billy, it`s yours mate :P

I`ll get me speed cushion :oops: :roll:
[url=http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/groupcp.php?g=397][img]http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/images/usergroups/listener.gif[/img][/url]
Illustrious

Post by Illustrious »

*kicks Billy*

You're the reason we had to buy a 4x4 then I assume? Stupid sodding Sleeping Plods (speed bumps)

They're so big aswell, why cant you make ghandi humps? They'd be so much better.
tankieboy

Post by tankieboy »

What I did;

Security Job, Promoted to Office Job, made redundant, Security Job and made redundant. Looking for work.

Bored and pissed off with Civ Div.
stever

Post by stever »

with all my rufty tufty raf regiment quals when i left in 92 i progressed straight onto dole for 1 year not nice turned down lots of deadbeat i mean totally shite security jobs in scotland....
i got that desparate i applied as a mandolin player in an italian resturaunt
also trainee morgue technichan for the co-op undertakers
needless to say i got fark all
after a year i got a job as a guess what security in a park that got me access to police civvy jobs list
applied for polis job been doing that for last 14 years
:D
"Once a Rockape Always a Rockape"
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/9038/camsig0qi.jpg[/img][/url]
agapito

Post by agapito »

The job you get after your military career in entirely up to you, depending what qualications you gain within the military or had before e.g. NVQ'S, GCSE'S or equivs, so the job you get after is not neccecaryly going to be a security job or being redundant.
tom163

Post by tom163 »

Be A Mercenary!!! :lol:

Tom
tankieboy

Re: reply

Post by tankieboy »

agapito wrote:The job you get after your military career in entirely up to you, depending what qualications you gain within the military or had before e.g. NVQ'S, GCSE'S or equivs, so the job you get after is not neccecaryly going to be a security job or being redundant.
Yeah, because I really wanted to be made redundant. :roll:
London Boy

Post by London Boy »

tom163 wrote:Be A Mercenary!!! :lol:

Tom
Funny you should say that. During the Falklands a man from South Africa approached a mate of mine on 2 Sqn RAF Regt. Well my mate and two others from 2 Sqn accepted the job offer. And I was also asked but declined...I already felt civvy street calling.