Share This Page:

TA during education

Discussions about the Territorial Army.
Brisks

TA during education

Post by Brisks »

Hi, there was a thread on this further down but I just wanted to clarify it since I don't want to be sent to Iraq during my a levels/degree. If I join the TA while in full time education can I be excluded from being mobilised?

Also the reason I want to join the TA is because I want to become an officer in the Paras after uni. So I want as much experiance under the belt as possible, so is there a minimum amount of time I have to serve before I can pack in the TA? Since I want to be able to drop it the second uni is over to go for the officer carreer.

Thanks in advance for the awnsers.
Tab

Post by Tab »

If you do join the TA under those conditions you had better get that agreement in writing. For if the government gets short on men you could suddenly find your self overseas. Now many years ago when serving an apprenticeship i was told that I would not be called for my National Service until I had finished my course, then with only weeks to go before my finial exams for my City & Guilds I got called up. They did say they would postpone my call up if I agreed to serve a minimum of 11 years in the Army as an Electrical Engineer, you can guess what my reply to that was.
Hantslad

Post by Hantslad »

I was in the TA during full time education

As was mentioned above, you can appeal any decision to mobilise you and the fact you are in full time education is normally a good reason to have your appeal accepted.

However, why not do what me and a few of my mates did - take a year out during your time at university (or before you go to uni) (or just after graduation) and mobilise. Its a great experience and it can help pay off that enormous student overdraft!

BUT if all you want to do is get a degree and be commissioned in the Regular Army, you would be better off joining the UOTC when you get to uni.

OR join the TA while you are doing A Levels, take a gap year - mobilise and then start uni and join the UOTC. Its been done by quite a few people in the past
Brisks

Post by Brisks »

Thanks for the awnsers so far, they're really useful. Do you know if it would be possible to join the TA while taking my A levels, drop out while I try to get a gap year commision, then join the UOTC?
Hantslad

Post by Hantslad »

yes in theory, however it wouldn't be a good idea to let them know your intentions when you join the TA of only serving for a year or so before attempting a gap year commission.

Mind you, you wouldn't need to tell the TA that you are going for a gap year commission, and you would only techincally need to resign from the TA the day before you start at Sandhurst.

Be warned though, gap year commissions are very hard to get. If you ultimately want to be a regular officer, it might be worth just cracking on and going to uni and doing the UOTC (or doing a gap year mobilised as a tom)
Brisks

Post by Brisks »

Would having a saturday job get in the way of taking part in the TA and the UOTC lots?
ArmyBrat

Post by ArmyBrat »

yes as you are required to go one weekend a month and no matter what job that you work on weekends, no employer would let you do that, even though its a legal requirement that they have too.
mediumsoftbaby

Post by mediumsoftbaby »

Tab wrote:If you do join the TA under those conditions you had better get that agreement in writing. For if the government gets short on men you could suddenly find your self overseas. Now many years ago when serving an apprenticeship i was told that I would not be called for my National Service until I had finished my course, then with only weeks to go before my finial exams for my City & Guilds I got called up. They did say they would postpone my call up if I agreed to serve a minimum of 11 years in the Army as an Electrical Engineer, you can guess what my reply to that was.
I heard of something extremely crazy. The crazy thing I heard was some crazy rumour that a Canadian Citizen can join the British Army and have their University education paid for by the UK. Is this true? Because I know for a fact that no Amercan is going to ever join the British Army without being a dual citizen.
Hantslad

Post by Hantslad »

mediumsoftbaby wrote:
Tab wrote:If you do join the TA under those conditions you had better get that agreement in writing. For if the government gets short on men you could suddenly find your self overseas. Now many years ago when serving an apprenticeship i was told that I would not be called for my National Service until I had finished my course, then with only weeks to go before my finial exams for my City & Guilds I got called up. They did say they would postpone my call up if I agreed to serve a minimum of 11 years in the Army as an Electrical Engineer, you can guess what my reply to that was.
I heard of something extremely crazy. The crazy thing I heard was some crazy rumour that a Canadian Citizen can join the British Army and have their University education paid for by the UK. Is this true? Because I know for a fact that no Amercan is going to ever join the British Army without being a dual citizen.
No the British Armed Forces do not pay for Universoty Education in the same way the Americans do.
df2inaus

TA during education

Post by df2inaus »

I cannot think of a better time to be a reservist than during university.

If you don't think you can deal with it when you have four months off during the summer, how much better would you manage if you had a full-time job.

If you're in postsecondary ed, you've got lots of flexibility. Join now and get in as many courses as you can, you've got no boss to ask for time off.

df2inaus
"Poor Ike, it won't be a bit like the Army. He'll find it very frustrating. He'll sit here and he'll say, 'Do this! Do that!' And nothing will happen."
Harry Truman
Brisks

Post by Brisks »

well actually I do, but I might be able to only work week days. Are all the courses just during the week end? I'm more than willing to give up my part time job if it helps me in a future career though. Also which would be better for me during uni. the TA or the University Officer Training Corps?
Hantslad

Post by Hantslad »

Brisks wrote:well actually I do, but I might be able to only work week days. Are all the courses just during the week end? I'm more than willing to give up my part time job if it helps me in a future career though. Also which would be better for me during uni. the TA or the University Officer Training Corps?
It depends what you want in life. If you want to be a regular officer then go the UOTC. If you want to do tours while you are at uni (ie take a year out) or when you graduate, then join the TA
Foley

Post by Foley »

if i joined the TA at 17 would i be able to quit at 18 and join the regular army? as my parents wont sign for me but they will let me go in the TA but when im 18 obviously i dont need them to sign, or do i have to do a set amount of time in the TA. Thanks
Hantslad

Post by Hantslad »

yes you could do that in theory, although if you let your TA unit know that your plan is to do that, I'm not sure they would be that impressed!
spiderbloke

Post by spiderbloke »

ArmyBrat wrote:yes as you are required to go one weekend a month and no matter what job that you work on weekends, no employer would let you do that, even though its a legal requirement that they have too.
wouldnt the MOD get them done for that then?