Share This Page:

Differences Between Military and Civillian Jumps

Discussions about those units who make up The Parachute Regiment.
JayCam

Differences Between Military and Civillian Jumps

Post by JayCam »

I intend to join 4para next september and as I have done some civillian jumps (from cessnas, islanders and porters) I was wondering if someone could tell me about the differences between civy jumps under a square and military round descents.

After watching a few videos I have noticed that the paras dont exit in the star or box position as skydivers do. How do you maintain stability?

How is the slipstream from a C130?

Do you carry a reserve and if so where and how is it activated?

How hard is opening shock compared to a smaller square chute?

How about landing? Landing under squares provides a pretty gentle touchdown but it doesnt look like you guys have that luxury!!

Thanks in advance for any information, satisfy my curiosity!!
J.
Rogue Chef

Post by Rogue Chef »

Ahoy there!
Provided this isn't a wind up.

I have never jumped civvy so can't make a comparison but answer some of your questions:

1. I have noticed that the paras dont exit in the star or box position as skydivers do. How do you maintain stability? - You don't. You are never in true free fall but on the end of a static line which deploys your 'chute after about two hunfred feet.

2. How is the slipstream from a C130? - I have nothing to compare it with so all jumps were the same for me, a bit bumpy.

3. Do you carry a reserve and if so where and how is it activated? - Yes you carry a reserve which is hooked onto your harness on your chest. It is deployed manually by pulling a small red handle on top of the pack.

4. How hard is opening shock compared to a smaller square chute? - I have nothing to compare it with so all jumps were the same for me, a plummeting feeling for a couple of seconds followed by a slight jolt as the chute opens. Then look up to see the chute fully deployed before sorting your drift out and preparing for landing.

5. How about landing? Landing under squares provides a pretty gentle touchdown but it doesnt look like you guys have that luxury!! - Nope. Depends on the wind there is very limited steering capability available. Feet together, knees bent, elbows in and accept your landing. Don't forget to para roll!

6. When jumping with equipment there is a bit more to think about, but nothing too testing. How hard can it be they have to train Paras to do it!
Tab

Post by Tab »

I always loved the balloon jumps, the silence of it all and when you jumped watching the earth come towards you, it was as if I was standing still and every thing was coming towards me
JayCam

Post by JayCam »

Not not a wind up I am sincerely interested in the differences. There is a drop zone in Strathallan which organises jumps under round parachutes, I might see if I can find the money to do a couple.

Ive never done a balloon jump but have always wanted to. The prop wash off those pilatus porters is a a real pain in the ass and makes exits tricky, so does the tin tiny step on Cessna 185s, and on islanders there is a massive wheel which looks like you are going to hit. Balloon jumps look so incredibly peacefull, no "obstacles".

Any other info on the subject welcome.

Cheers,
J.
Tab

Post by Tab »

The other thing that you might find very different is some of the jumps we did many years ago prior to Suez were as low as 400 feet, which meant you were only in the air for a matter of seconds before you hit the ground, you just had time to drop your kit and get in position before you hit the ground. What made us laugh they wanted us to carry a reserve chute.
JayCam

Post by JayCam »

400 feet?!?!?! Wow that's insane. The lowest I have done was 3000 feet I can't even imagine going from under a grand. Should be exciting :D
J.
Banch

Post by Banch »

I think they jump as low as 250 ft nowadays mate.
Is that right Tab?
senior prison officer HMP Parkhurst: "do you know what a psycho is, as you so eliquently put it?"
Grandad: "course I do, he's a geezer wot dresses up in his mothers clothes"
Rogue Chef

Post by Rogue Chef »

Ahoy there!
250 feet seems a little low to me for training jumps.

There is a pic of the inside of a C130 during a training jump in the Rogues Gallery:

album_cat.php?cat_id=9
album_pic.php?pic_id=312
got1

Post by got1 »

Slipstream from a C130 is dead cushy compared to a Hastings, Argosy and Beverly. You can stand outside the door on a Herc because there is a baffle comes out the side of the aircraft just before the drop.
The exit position was most important in the other aircraft because of the slipstream, you came out right behind the props on a Hastings,( and a Dakota but you will have to ask Tab about them:-) ) one of your feet out of line sent you into twists
When we converted to Hercs, we were told not to "drive" out of the like we had done before, but take it easy as you could bounce off the slipstream because it was not immediately outside. Two people "driving" out could cross in the air and tangle :oops:
Takes me back that does :D
adj125

Post by adj125 »

Banch wrote:I think they jump as low as 250 ft nowadays mate.
Is that right Tab?
the lowest you go is 800 ft for training jumps
Ex RE 1986 till 1997
Tab

Post by Tab »

800 feet was always standard for training drops, and when I was at Brieze Norton a couple of months back they were telling us about the 250 foot insertions, but I have never seen them or done one
RSO3

Post by RSO3 »

Training jumps have recently been lowered to 600 ft.
The current LLP 'chute is designed to open safely at 250 ft, but has only been trialled over water. A 250 ft descent would only be an operational requirement. I believe the descent is about 9 seconds, so again, no reserve. Just enough time to lower your kit.
As regards slipstream, the new C130J Herc has a much faster one than the older models. The engines have 6 props ech now rather than 4, so timing of simultaneous exits is more important.
Get Awaaaaaaaaaaaay
JayCam

Post by JayCam »

And to think all the Accellerated freefall students crap their pants when they have to do their last training jump... a 5000 foot hop and pop lol.

Cheers for the information guys, much appreciated.

J.
J.
RSO3

Post by RSO3 »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHj9CLLb-yY

I hope this link works.

A picture paints a thousand words. I know they're Yanks and they're jumping "jet" by the looks of it, but the lessons are still the same. But if you've got a history asthma, then I don't think you'll be joining anyway.
Get Awaaaaaaaaaaaay
JayCam

Post by JayCam »

Link works fine.. interesting video. I know all about bad exits, my last skydive I tumbled and manage to get tangled in the canopy lines. Screwed up my shoulder and couldnt walk for a while coz of the rediculous landing I had to make.

I'm hoping I can get by and just not mention the fact that I had asthma. It was never bad and was absolutely years ago. It doesn't affect me in the slightest now, Ive been doing a hell of alot of cardio recently and not felt a thing. Hopefully someone will be able to give me more information on the rules though.

J.
J.