Share This Page:

New Zealand

General Military Chat. New to the forums? Introduce yourself, Who are you and where are you from?
arai

New Zealand

Post by arai »

Hi

I am in the process of joining NZ Army.
Is there any one out there going through the same process?

Arai
IrishGuard

New Zealand Army

Post by IrishGuard »

Hello arai, no, I'm not joining the NZ Army, but I would be interested to know how someone from Yorkshire is ending up in the the Kiwis Army?:)
Chappy

Post by Chappy »

Its a strange one, cant say I`ve seen anyone post the same in the last two years on the forum. But you never know someone might be floating about.

I`m curious too, why the NZ army?
NZ1

Post by NZ1 »

Hi Arai (and the rest of the team)

Since this is my first post I should introduce myself. I am a 23 year old Kiwi living in Auckland finishing off one paper of my degree (Bachelor of Property) and working full time (as a commercial leasing agent for Jones Lang LaSalle).

About 4 months ago I joined the Territorials here in Auckland. I have been to half a dozen night parades and on 2 weekends away. I've chosen to be an infanteer and I'm loving every minute of it. In less than a months time I head down to Waiouru (central North Island) to do the first 3 weeks of my 6 week basic and it couldn't be soon enough!

I have been through the process of joining (albeit from a Kiwi perspective as opposed to a foreign perspective) and you wont find it takes long to complete at all. As far as I know you can even apply online to get the ball rolling. Have a look here to check the entry critiera (you may already have done this) http://www.army.mil.nz/default.asp?CHAN ... rseas+Home

Half way down the page it offers a link to an overseas recruitment questionnaire. By the looks of things, you need to fill complete this in order to proceed.

When do you think you will come over? Have you thought of what corps you want to join?

Any questions I'd be happy to help out.

Let me know!

NZ1
GD

Post by GD »

I would imagine serving in a lovely place like NZ would be fantastic. what postings do the NZ Forces get though?

Greeting to the Mick Guard, in fact a great Cead mille failte to ye from a Paddy Hussar.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!
IrishGuard

Post by IrishGuard »

G'day GD aka Paddy Hussar from Edinburgh. Thanks for the welcome.

I've never been to NZ, but I have heard that they have some beautiful scenery. I have served with the Kiwis on exercises and they are a good bunch of blokes.

I think that there are more Kiwis in Australia than in New Zealand and there is rumour that New Zealand could become an Australian State with the All Blacks becoming part of the Wallabies.

Anyhow, I hope that life is treating you as well in Edinburgh as it is me in Australia.
NZ1

Post by NZ1 »

Hi GD, to put it bluntly - very few!

The NZ Army had a good stint in East Timor for 2 years (?) I believe. Someone else may be able to confirm. But thats really been the lot in more recent times. Teams have been sent to Iraq and Afghanistan but in a support role, medics and engineers etc although the SAS have definetly been to Afghanistan.

Other than that there is the odd UN peacekeeping mission, but she is fairly quiet from what I understand. Having only been in 4 months I could be wrong. The deployments are quite short in duration as well.

The other issue with the NZ Army is that you dont get as much room to move as you would with the British Army, nor do you deal with the same hi-tech weaponry. Plus the pay is low campared with our Oz counterparts.

But as for fantastic place to serve, I'm going to biased on that front! Absolutely!

"Greeting to the Mick Guard, in fact a great Cead mille failte to ye from a Paddy Hussar"

As for the above, you'll have to explain. I'm well lost!
GD

Post by GD »

IrishGuard wrote:G'day GD aka Paddy Hussar from Edinburgh. Thanks for the welcome.

I've never been to NZ, but I have heard that they have some beautiful scenery. I have served with the Kiwis on exercises and they are a good bunch of blokes.

I think that there are more Kiwis in Australia than in New Zealand and there is rumour that New Zealand could become an Australian State with the All Blacks becoming part of the Wallabies.

Anyhow, I hope that life is treating you as well in Edinburgh as it is me in Australia.
Life is good mucker. Would you mind me asking when you served. I had a few mates in 1IG from the old IDB days and when they were in our battle group at 4 Armd Bde in Munster. I also had a cpl in NI who was an Aden man (and had the scar on his arse to prove it).

I was 78-86.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!
GD

Post by GD »

NZ1 wrote:Hi GD, to put it bluntly - very few!

The NZ Army had a good stint in East Timor for 2 years (?) I believe. Someone else may be able to confirm. But thats really been the lot in more recent times. Teams have been sent to Iraq and Afghanistan but in a support role, medics and engineers etc although the SAS have definetly been to Afghanistan.

Other than that there is the odd UN peacekeeping mission, but she is fairly quiet from what I understand. Having only been in 4 months I could be wrong. The deployments are quite short in duration as well.

The other issue with the NZ Army is that you dont get as much room to move as you would with the British Army, nor do you deal with the same hi-tech weaponry. Plus the pay is low campared with our Oz counterparts.

But as for fantastic place to serve, I'm going to biased on that front! Absolutely!

"Greeting to the Mick Guard, in fact a great Cead mille failte to ye from a Paddy Hussar"

As for the above, you'll have to explain. I'm well lost!
Kind of thought so mate. Wouldn't disagree with a word you say - lovely country.

As for my last line: I was greeting a fellow Irishman (or at least he served in an Irish regiment) in a traditional fashion and in the mother tongue. Allow me to explain:

"Mick Guard" is slang for an Irish Guard

"Paddy Hussar" is slang for an Irish Hussar

"Cead mille failte" is Irish. It means; "a thousand welcomes".

Brits use a lot of slang, nicknames and so forth which aren't always familiar to those who didn't serve with the British Army. Your own army will have its own slang words which we won't have a clue about over here.
flo

Post by flo »

We are going through the recruitment process now for the Australian Army. We have been told that the day jed leaves the marines we will have to go to australia house in london for him to sign on and we should be flying the same day. There are a few of us going through the process. my neighbour and his wife had there interview/medicals etc yesterday. The welfare package seems good and they had welfare staff on hand to explain the pros and cons ie schooling for the nippers, housing medical benefits etc. On of my main worries was about our furniture but they will pay for our move lock stock and barrel. Seeing as jed is Commando trained we believe we will be attached to 4 RAR in Holsworthy near Sydney.
Artist

Post by Artist »

When I left the Corp in 1990 the NZ Navy were actively recruiting and I attended NZ house to apply for a job as a Printer in the NZ Navy. The Proffs far outweighed the Dips. Free Medical Cover, free everything really. Rank of PO.

Alas it was not to be as the Missus went down with the dreaded CANCER and they were not prepared to let us go as the missus was considered to be a Bad Risk as far as her health went. Would love to visit the Place (Archie!).

Artist
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

Flo.
At least y'all will be far from that person on the west coast.
You know,the one who smiles all the time and likes to show his bum to all and sundry :P

I thought about Oz at one point.NZ too.
Had a great time in Sydney and an even greater time in Huntly NZ(North Island,Suburb of Aukland)Just keep Jed away from the McNamara girls :wink:

I can feel the Incoming already.
Coat !!!!!
flo

Post by flo »

Best you enlighten me wholley....who is the mcnamara girls! :o
Have to admit to being a tad bit aprehensive about leaving blighty and starting in pastures new. But after living in Germany i have realised what a rip off country Britain is. So the kids are at the age where they can voice there opinion,Robbie is all for it, Skye is at the age where she can settle anywhere and kiera just wants a kangaroo for a pet :D As for his nibs hates fosters but says castlemaine 4xxxx will have to suffice and i just want the sun.
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

Flo.
The McNamara sisters were a blast.Three of them.
I know their all safe home in Huntly,
Shame really.

Thems were the days.

:oops:
KiwiBen

Post by KiwiBen »

Aye Paul have you found the Ph. number for the McNamara clan yet?

For those of you wondering or wishing to take a holiday in NZ my advice is DO IT! It's a great place, beer is not dirt cheap but it is cheap, people are great and every outdoor activety you want is there. Hunting, fishing,diving, skiing if the seasons on etc. It's a bloody good part of the world and it needs discovering.

Best of luck with joining the NZ Army, they're a good bunch no question. I feel they are let down though with old equipment, but the Kiwi is an adaptable ba*tard so learn all you can :wink: (No.8 wire and pliers, will fix ANYTHING).

Benjo