Share This Page:

EU...in or out?

Interested or active in politics, discuss here.

EU. Stay in or get out?

a> Stay in
21%
b> Get out
79%

Total votes: 28

Spannerman

EU...in or out?

Post by Spannerman »

So what do you want Britain to do

a> Stay in the European Union (EU)
or
b> Leave the EU
AdamR

Post by AdamR »

I would like to see us stay in but only if it reverted back to what it was meant to be IE a common trade market, not this semi-federated nonsense state that it is now. Otherwise get the hell out.
What do you know about surfing major, you're from god damn New Jersey
mutter nutter

Post by mutter nutter »

AdamR wrote:I would like to see us stay in but only if it reverted back to what it was meant to be IE a common trade market, not this semi-federated nonsense state that it is now. Otherwise get the hell out.
Ah it was never ment to be just a freetrade zone at the signing of the treaty of Rome they said this was the start of a federal Europe and all the original Countries knew it, although in the UK in 75 they did bullshit you about it just being about free trade :wink:
(Glaine ar gcroi, neart ar ngeag agus beart de reir arm mbriarthar)
Spannerman

Post by Spannerman »

There has not been anything written in any parties manifesto as to whether we want full integration into the EU constitution, the majority voted against this last Thursday, Blair is acting like a dictator.

Anyone else notice it is, 'I this' and 'I that' not WE the Government, he did it on several occasions yesterday in front of the media in his monthly briefing.

I bet Poland will veto this constitution on Friday, someone needs to.

I think we ought to have a peaceful revolution
chrisfow

Post by chrisfow »

I can't believe that i am sticking up for Blair here, but re: the press conference, he is just showing leadership. He understands that HE is associated with all this, and if he starts saying "we the govt" then the press will just start saying that he is retreating and trying to spread the blame around the cabinet.

Front page of the Times today: "No 10 says that Blair will veto many aspects of the constitution". This is in light of the kicking he recieved on Thurs Jun 10. Good for him but i'll believe it when I see it...he isn't one to listen to the electorate (democracy, what democracy?)
Staffords all the way :D
Chappy

Post by Chappy »

Stay
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

Just a dumb yanks opinion.
I think the French and the Germans are just succeding where they failed
many times in the past.The subjugation of Great Britain and its people.
Blair's just looking for a high paid job when he gets kicked out,rather like Neil Kinnock.Close the Chunnel and realise who your real friends are.
I'll send a tow-rope. :P
Wholley.
:o
Chappy

Post by Chappy »

Keep the tow rope, use some motors instead. It would be you who comes to us :wink:
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

Would'nt want to be that close to the French.
(Sorry Frank)Mind you KlinkKlank if this weather keeps up you might have to send the RNLI over here to rescue us.Never seen such a bad spring.We had five inches of rain overnight and it's just started again.
Sorry Spanner's you can have your thread back now.
Wholley.
:o
Tab

Post by Tab »

I must admit I voted to join the European Free Trade Area, and I also thought the Euro was a good idea. Am I still of that mind, well the answer to that is NO. For one thing all those silly laws that keep coming out Brussels and we seem to be the only ones that implement them, all the countries seem to ignore them or just tell lies about what they are doing.
On the Euro, when that was suggested there where very strict guide lines laid down on what was required to join the Euro, and NO one that failed to reach those targets would be allowed to join the Euro. What happened
France and Germany accountants produced figures that would do credit to Enron. Italy and Belgium did not come any where near the targets but still got in. Then there should have been huge fines for any country who did not keep with in the guide lines for spending. The first year Italy missed the figure by miles and asked for the fine to be waived and it was. The next year France and Germany failed to meet these guide lines and just turned around and said Italy did not pay so we are not paying, and thats that. Of course they have got away with it, also Governments have been instructed that they should not give loans to failing companies, yet again France and Germany are just ignoring this ruling and no one challenges them.
What would happen if we left, would they refuse to allow our goods into the market, Well France and Germany sell us more than we sell them, so if they slap a tax on our goods we would have to return the favour, so things should be even. Also we put in £30 billion pounds more than we take out, so what of the other European countries would make up this loss.
Also what about Ireland, what would happen there, if we slapped the same tax on the goods that they sold to us and being there biggest customer which way would they jump. What if the Irish could no longer travel in England with out a passport or could not work here with out visa.
Now just who should worry if we pulled out them or us, well I don't think we should.
Seven

Post by Seven »

I think it's pretty much impossible to get out. For member - countries to give up their souvereignty a lot more is needed. A federal Europe is not something that most European countries are looking forward to, I know most in Holland are not. I think most smaller countries fear being controlled largely by France and Germany, although I don't believe that to be very realistic. As for France and Germany finally succeeding in subjegating the British people - I think that's pushing it a bit. The British people can still decide for themselves what they want from the EU, by voting. Which they did.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”
Mark Twain
El Prez

Post by El Prez »

It's possible to leave. Which is why Howard has submitted his proposal re the fishing industry. The idea being that our future rejection of Brussel's dominance of our waters and quotas would lead to the UK being put on trial, fined, and then withdrawing from the EU in protest.

Devious, slow, but effective without the additional financial penalties direct withdrawal would incur.
You should talk to somebody who gives a f**k.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v77/Robiz/movie_star_wars_yoda.gif[/img]
El Presidente
Spannerman

Post by Spannerman »

When I was in Switzerland, Austria and Germany in April, much debate was going on with the Germanic speaking nations that they would rather be aligned to the £ Sterling rather than the Euro, I don't suppose for one moment that Schroeder would make a statement in support of this, but there was talk to this effect from these people.

Switzerland are not part of the EU although the larger towns and cities trade in Euros as well as their own Swiss Franc, but in the smaller towns and villages it is their own currency only, neighbouring Liechtenstein is also independent.

What I really cannot understand is that if we are to be (eventually) one SuperState when do we stop saying, 'that Ferrari is capable of 186 MILES per hour instead of KmPH', that we have to speak in one language and that we will all have to drive on the right side of the road.

In my opinion these islands of ours were made with Europe in mind, that we are European in continental terms but aloof from Germany and France, after all these islands have protected us from invasion since 1066 (apart from the Channel Islands and a few incursions from the Dutch and mass migration).

Firstly I am English, secondly I am British and I am European only by geographical definition, I do not want to be ruled by Bruxelles or have European Courts of Human Rights situated in Strasbourg and our currency managed in Bonn.

The last 938 years seems to have done us proud, as Tab said re the membership fees, who wants to be in a set up where our input to the market is far greater than our receipt. The likes of Eire, Greece, Lithuania, Latvia, et al would disagree as they would be benefitting from our loss and to think we will be inviting Turkey to join in next!!

I found the % of people supporting Labour and Conservative last Thursday astonishingly high, I have to accept the result as that is democracy, I will rue the day when I see full integration into a monolithic organisation. [/i]
Spannerman

Post by Spannerman »

El Prez wrote:It's possible to leave. Which is why Howard has submitted his proposal re the fishing industry. The idea being that our future rejection of Brussel's dominance of our waters and quotas would lead to the UK being put on trial, fined, and then withdrawing from the EU in protest.

Devious, slow, but effective without the additional financial penalties direct withdrawal would incur.
Perhaps Iceland would be on our side in the next Cod War then Prez, looks like a bigger Navy for us .........
Seven

Post by Seven »

I found the % of people supporting Labour and Conservative last Thursday astonishingly high, I have to accept the result as that is democracy, I will rue the day when I see full integration into a monolithic organisation. [/i]
I think that you will see that when the issue of a single European state starts to rise it's ugly head, voting percentages will increase. Also, like is happening in Britain right now, parties will be established that want more independance from Europe, among other things. In Holland a party called "Europe transparent" won two seats in lasts weeks election. This party is founded by a former (and now current) member of the European parliament who uncovered several cases of fraud by European parliament members. The fact that he won two seats is because the people react to something happening in Brussels, voting percentage was around 39%, which is about as high as it ever was.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”
Mark Twain