Share This Page:

Gibraltan labour chief urges "vote conservative"

Interested or active in politics, discuss here.
may18

Gibraltan labour chief urges "vote conservative"

Post by may18 »

Gibraltar's Labour Party leader has called on the people of the The Rock to vote Conservatives in the European elections on June 10.

Daniel Feetham made the plea as Michael Howard - on a campaigning visit to the colony - promised that an incoming Conservative government would never surrender Gibraltar's sovereignty without the mandate of the local people.

Arriving for his one day trip, Mr Howard was greeted by a crowd of supporters waving Union flags, as he sought to swing the 18,000 strong electorate behind the Conservatives in their first opportunity to take part in the European elections
druadan

Post by druadan »

It's unlikely that Labour will either, they're simply debating a Cosoberania with the Spanish government for something like 20 years with a review at the end of it (although there may have been talk of a handover at the end of that period). However the Llanitos want the right to vote on it, and a poll of the population last year showed that not many (about 15% I think) wanted to re-join Spain. Which makes it quite a good ploy on the Tories part, as Labour have got nothing to answer with.
Aldo

Post by Aldo »

With the kind of touchy feely government Blair's running I don't know why the Spanish don't just invade, Blair will probably apologise to them for the inconveniance of changing the place names to "costa del".
"This far and no further" - Britain, World War 1 & 2
goreD.

Post by goreD. »

Aldo wrote:With the kind of touchy feely government Blair's running I don't know why the Spanish don't just invade, Blair will probably apologise to them for the inconveniance of changing the place names to "costa del".

I know why the Spanish won't invade. Look at their governments stand on Iraq.
Mexican bandit, "Badges?! We don't need no stinking badges....."
Major Kong, "Shoot, a fella could have a pretty good weekend in vegas with all that stuff....."
Gore, "The first casualty of war is your underpants....."
wannabe_bootneck

Post by wannabe_bootneck »

I don't think the place should be surrendered, how do you think Royal would feel, they're only battle honour worn on cap badge, which they shed the blood to capture, being handed back on a silver platter!
owdun

Post by owdun »

WB, Gibraltar is not Royals only battle honour. the Great Globe is the insignia for the Corps massive list of battle honours, too numerous to be listed on colours.

Aye Owdun :evil:
wannabe_bootneck

Post by wannabe_bootneck »

Sorry Owdun, should have made myself clearer, I stand corrected.