Share This Page:

Previous RAF application in the past 12 months.

Discussions on joining & training in the Royal Navy.
dubrit

Previous RAF application in the past 12 months.

Post by dubrit »

I applied to the RAF this year, but I've decided to go for the Navy instead.

I wasn't sure which one to apply for in the first place as I wanted to do both equally as much.

I didn't get into the RAF as I failed [because of fitness] my PGSC (RAF Regiment selection), although they advised me to try again in 3 months, I'm not sure if I'd be cut out for it to be honest, the ROFA burgen I tried to pick up when I was there was bloody heavy and my back already struggles with a 10KG rucksack after a few miles.

Anyway; I've decided I'm going to apply for the Navy, but I'm not sure if my previous RAF application will have a negative impact on the likelihood of me getting in?

Anybody been through anything similar experience or have insider tips??

Thanks in advance.
Tab

Re: Previous RAF application in the past 12 months.

Post by Tab »

If asked be quite honest with them as these days everything can be checked in minutes in the computer
Hyperlithe

Post by Hyperlithe »

If your back struggles with a 10kg bergen after a few miles, are you really sure the military is right for you?
Even in the non-regt bits of the RAF we carried more than that during basic training, so I'm pretty sure the Navy will be the same… Would hate for you to get in and then seriously injure yourself! If you have a pre-existing problem with your back, you really need to get it sorted first.
You can have peace.
Or you can have freedom.
Don't ever count on having both at once.
The life that I have
Is all that I have
And the life that I have
Is yours
dubrit

Post by dubrit »

Cheers, it's not that I'm on the floor rolling around in agony or anything and I could probably stick another 10Kg's in my bag and get by; it's just when I do it everyday for a week that I start getting a constant bearable but uncomfortable pain.

I'd be alright doing it in training and I still do it now, but to commit to doing it pretty much day in day out, and knowing that ROFA was an annual thing, I just think it would be unwise to go into the regiment.

I've spoken with the Navy since and they told me that it doesn't matter if I've applied for other services, only if I had been unsuccessful because of a medical reason which is what I hoped to hear from them!

Cheers again!