Share This Page:

Future career – RN vs RAF

Discussions on joining & training in the Royal Navy.
XanderP

Future career – RN vs RAF

Post by XanderP »

Hi everyone. I’m new to the site and looking for some advice and information.

So a little about me… I’m currently studying for a degree in Physical Geography and I’m really interested in joining the military after university. After doing lots of reading I’ve found a couple of jobs that really interest me and I’m just looking for a little more information. I meet all the academic entry requirements and am close to the fitness requirements (still working on that bit).

At the moment I’m looking at joining either the RAF, as an Intelligence Officer, or the Royal Navy as a Warfare Officer (then training for the Hydrology and Meteorology sub branch). Any information you could give me on the day to day life in these specific jobs would be greatly appreciated.
I’m also looking for information on how serving military personnel can balance a home and work life. If you could give me an idea of how possible a family life is while serving in the RAF or Royal Navy it would be much appreciated.

I’ve posted this message as a thread in both the RAF and Royal Navy Joining and Training forums so I can get information from people with different views.

Thanks for your help.
EH_BURNETT

Re: Future career – RN vs RAF

Post by EH_BURNETT »

Right okay I am currently serving in the RAF as an aerospace battle manager having recently been transferred from my role as intelligence officer. Advice would be to study hard and really try an set the best grades you can at Uni. Physical Geography will come I'm handy in intelligence and will stand in good steed towards selection. If you want a family life and to be able to visit your family a lot the RAF is the better route. The on-base housing is fairly good, whereas if you we're in RN you might be stuck at sea. Both jobs have disadvantages and advantages (as so do both services) so it's really what ideals you want which determine what's right for you. If you need any more help post or PM me! :)
DonaldGollie

Post by DonaldGollie »

I feel that both the jobs that you are looking for are choose by very few people. So that's a great advantage for you. You can achieve them by hard work. All the best for your future. I will definitely share some information if I get some.
Read how to sell house fast now from the given link.
Hyperlithe

Post by Hyperlithe »

Donald - not so, Intelligence Officer is a very popular choice among applicants for the RAF, of 16 people attending a presentation at my local AFCO recently 12 were applying for IntO. This was just one AFCO, and there are only 24 places this year. (I know this because I'm after one of them).
I've been aircrew for 9 years and am now looking to switch. Passed the aptitude tests last week (highest score was ABM but really don't want to do that!)

In answer to the original question, a family life is possible in any branch of the military. My dad was a Navy Officer while I was growing up, we didn't live in quarters - my parents have now lived in the same house for 30 years. When your Navy person could be off at sea for 6-9 months at a time the rest of the family can easily stay put and have a pretty 'normal' life as far as the military goes. With the RAF it's more normal for the family to move with their serving person, although they don't have to, and often it depends on what job they do, and how flexible the other half's job is.

You shouldn't have a problem with the fitness; I'm not sure of the RN requirements for Dartmouth, but for the RAF you have a set time to run 1.5 miles on a treadmill. (The exact times for your age and gender are on the RAF careers website)
You can have peace.
Or you can have freedom.
Don't ever count on having both at once.
The life that I have
Is all that I have
And the life that I have
Is yours