Share This Page:

Any point even joining this year with defence cuts?

Discussions on joining & training in the Royal Navy.
xuiton

Any point even joining this year with defence cuts?

Post by xuiton »

I've been considering joining the RN, specifically the fleet air arm after I finish university this year. However, with the recent defence cuts, is there any real point? Our carriers will be getting decommission, coupled with over 6+ years of building the new ones.
timex

Re: Any point even joining this year with defence cuts?

Post by timex »

Depends on what your aims/ambitions are?

If you want to fly Helicopters then I'd suggest you carry on with the application, the FAA have a large fleet of Grey Lynx, numerous Grey Sea King and Merlin all needing manned either by Pilots or Observers. They also still have CHF with 3 Sqns of Sea King Mk 4 and 6 as well as 847 with 6 Lynx all of these are two Pilot operated.

We will still have Carriers, Ocean is planned to continue for a wee while until the first Carrier comes on line, things may change a lot.

Sadly if your aim was FJ then I would be having a re-think and looking at the RAF.

6 yrs may seem like a long time but by the time you Graduate, get through the selection process and complete Dartmouth 3 yrs will have passed and you won't have seen an Aircraft.

Good Luck
xuiton

Post by xuiton »

timex wrote:Depends on what your aims/ambitions are?

If you want to fly Helicopters then I'd suggest you carry on with the application, the FAA have a large fleet of Grey Lynx, numerous Grey Sea King and Merlin all needing manned either by Pilots or Observers. They also still have CHF with 3 Sqns of Sea King Mk 4 and 6 as well as 847 with 6 Lynx all of these are two Pilot operated.

We will still have Carriers, Ocean is planned to continue for a wee while until the first Carrier comes on line, things may change a lot.

Sadly if your aim was FJ then I would be having a re-think and looking at the RAF.

6 yrs may seem like a long time but by the time you Graduate, get through the selection process and complete Dartmouth 3 yrs will have passed and you won't have seen an Aircraft.

Good Luck
Thanks for your response.

However I was looking at FJ (lol like everyone else) but the RAF is out of the question for me, my eyes are not 6/6 but fall within pilot standards for RN (did quite alot of reading up on this) although a helicopter pilot doesn't seem too bad to be honest.

I'm actually 23 and when I graduate this july, I will also be turning 24, so time isn't exactly on my side either.
timex

Post by timex »

However I was looking at FJ (lol like everyone else) but the RAF is out of the question for me, my eyes are not 6/6 but fall within pilot standards for RN (did quite alot of reading up on this) although a helicopter pilot doesn't seem too bad to be honest.
I'd suggest a trip to the AFCO and sort out a Medical first, if you want FJ then I'm afraid that your chances are slim to nil with the RN. I've a good friend or two who are now Ex Harrier and they have no jobs to go to, (other than a desk or Ship).

Helicopters are the dogs danglies and far far better than poncey jets! Lol :D :D
xuiton

Post by xuiton »

timex wrote:
I'd suggest a trip to the AFCO and sort out a Medical first, if you want FJ then I'm afraid that your chances are slim to nil with the RN. I've a good friend or two who are now Ex Harrier and they have no jobs to go to, (other than a desk or Ship).

Helicopters are the dogs danglies and far far better than poncey jets! Lol :D :D
Thanks again, what's the AFCO? And what's the recruitment time frame, is it like UK school/uni terms.. ie September etc? I've sent a information request so just waiting for a call back.

I'm not completely devastated about the jet thing, i'm still in two minds of a military career anyway, but helicopter does seem to look promsing either way.

Ps. Is the armies Apache program hard to get into too?
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

AFCO is Armed Forces Careers Office and as Timex said give them a good coat of looking at.Do not be too alarmed if you feel you are being pushed into certain directions you may not want to go.The recruiters are trying to do their best for their own service.Talk to all of them(not at the same time :P ) and then decide.

Hope this helps.
timex

Post by timex »

To Fly Apache you need to do the following:-

1. Join as an AAC Officer, pass Sandhurst and be accepted for Pilot trg.
2. Pass all the testing for Pilot both mentally and Physically.
3. Pass Grading. (Approx 15hrs of assessment).
4. Get onto the Pilots course and hopefully (2yrs later) become a Mil Pilot.
5. If you have the apptitude you may get onto an AH course.

OR the other option, join as an Airtrooper and hope that eventually you get onto a Pilots course.
Ares-God of War

Post by Ares-God of War »

[/quote]
I'm actually 23 and when I graduate this july, I will also be turning 24, so time isn't exactly on my side either.[/quote]

Really, your 23 and turning 24, well duh thats how it goes 1 2 3...23 24 25 :lol: :lol:

Ps :new-bday: for July :P

Ares
Team work is essential, it gives them other people to shoot at. - Unknown

If at first you don't succeed, call in an airstrike. - Unknown

Friendly Fire, isn't - Unknown
Tab

Post by Tab »

Timex......I have finished reading a book about the Army Helicopters and it is all about a Private from 2 Para who wound up flying Apache Helicopters after injuring his back.
timex

Post by timex »

Tab, you would be amazed at the amount of Para Regt guys who have flown with or are still flying with the AAC. On my last exchange with the Air Corps I think we had about 7-8 in the Regiment, a great bunch of blokes.

Which book is it?