Share This Page:

I REALLY need some help! NEW here

Discussions on joining & training in the Royal Navy.
Glems

I REALLY need some help! NEW here

Post by Glems »

Hello I am 23 old woman trying to join the royal Navy and I'm very scared because I can only do sit ups with someone or something putting weight on my feet? Would that be a problem in the selection process? Also I have an astigmatism would that disqaulify me also? What are the odds of not being selected? Pleasseee help me someone
Tab

Re: I REALLY need some help! NEW here

Post by Tab »

23 is not old, but I can't help but wonder why you posted thgis in the RAF section
Glems

Post by Glems »

Well I am sorry for posting in the wrong area. Like I said "New here" so NO need to get fiesty with me if you can't help then don't respond I will appreciate that! Bye
Hyperlithe

Post by Hyperlithe »

Don't worry, I've moved it to the right place for you!

I was 26 when I joined the RAF, so don't think you're too old! You may have a couple of years on a lot of the people you go through basic training with, but you also probably won't be the oldest person either.
As for the sit-ups, again, not a problem, the Navy don't even do them on their fitness test... You'll do loads of phys in training, so however many you can do, it will improve.
Do you wear glasses for your astigmatism? I think it would depend on what trade you were going for as to whether your eyesight would affect you getting in, but one of my great friends in the Navy can look in two directions at once, and he's never had a problem, so you really shouldn't either!

If you want to join up, go for it, the things you're worrying about are all quite minor issues, honestly!
Good luck!
You can have peace.
Or you can have freedom.
Don't ever count on having both at once.
The life that I have
Is all that I have
And the life that I have
Is yours
sportbilly42

Post by sportbilly42 »

Glems wrote:Well I am sorry for posting in the wrong area. Like I said "New here" so NO need to get fiesty with me if you can't help then don't respond I will appreciate that! Bye
'kin 'ell.... Time of the month or something? :roll:

Is it me or are some of the posters on here incredibly thin skinned? First it was a comment from Tab with 'murcia' about the AGC and now new girl glems spits her dummy out over a comment from Tab... (It wasn't like he was taking the pi$$ either)

I need to look up the definition of 'feisty' because there was nothing in Tab's one sentence that came across like it....

I DO know what 'petulant' means though..... :lol: :wink:
ofens

Post by ofens »

Agree SportBilly... reckon that was totally taken the wrong way...
You're most welcome on this forum Glems and I am sure the reply from Tab wasn't intended as sarccy.
We like to have a good laugh on here (well most of us do!) so be up for a bit of banter :)
[i]Hangover is temporary, drinking lasts forever![/i]
[b]IT WILL COME[/b]
Firstmate

Post by Firstmate »

Glems wrote:Hello I am 23 old woman trying to join the royal Navy and I'm very scared because I can only do sit ups with someone or something putting weight on my feet? Would that be a problem in the selection process? Also I have an astigmatism would that disqaulify me also? What are the odds of not being selected? Pleasseee help me someone
Part of the selection process for the RN is an eye test and it will depend on your Visual Acuity (VA) as to whether you are suitable for service and if there are any limitations on you choice of job. Some jobs have different VA requirements.

Your ability to do sit-ups is not assessed as part of the recruitment process but you will be expected to do them during training and you will be permitted to have someone hold on to your ankles in order for you to do this.

You could ask this quesion on Rum Ration (an unofficial navy website) where there is a plethora of information in the Newbies section or have a look on the Royal Navy website. Google it.
Yer tiz
riham

Post by riham »

Ahh! Whats it like in the RAF? Thats the second option! I've heard its competitive to be an officer though. The reason for aiming for officer is I want to make use of 10K education!