Share This Page:

Thinking of joining the Navy

Discussions on joining & training in the Royal Navy.
Sisko

Thinking of joining the Navy

Post by Sisko »

Hi, I am considering applying for the Royal Navy and would like to go for the submarine service, but I am doing all my homework on various positions and roles that I might be able to fulfill.

I am 24 and I graduated from University in May last year with a 2.1 Honors Degree in Computer Network Management & Design. And in the time since graduating things have just seemed rather underwhelming and dealing with some of the same problems day in day out or some company Director coming to you and asking you the most stupidest questions ever is potentially the straw to break the camel's back.

The only thing that would concern me or potentially stop me from applying is my eyesight. I wear glasses and as I said this is the one thing that concerns me or may limit my options.

Can anyone offer any advice regarding my eyesight concerns? As I have heard of people failing in their applications to join due to poor eyesight. Now, i'm not blind without my glasses, I can see, though things are naturally a little blurry and I defo need my glasses for long distance viewing.

Could this scuttle my chances at all??

Cheers guys :D
bored_stupid

Post by bored_stupid »

You can still join the Forces with poor eyesight, there is however a minimum standard.

If you have a search on the Army part of the forum this topic has been covered there and Im pretty sure the minimum eyesight requirements have been posted.

Since you want to serve on a Submarine I can't imagine eye sight would be too important due to the fact that you're underwater in a tin can so not much of a view! :lol:
Firstmate

Post by Firstmate »

Yer tiz
Sisko

Post by Sisko »

Firstmate wrote:This link might help

http://www.navy-net.co.uk/Forums/viewtopic/t=11861.html
Yeah cheers for that, it did help mate :)

I'm going to have to come to a decision about this sometime...do I join, or not? I've been thinking about it for days and can't decide. :(