Share This Page:

Entry requirements - Can anyone help?

Discussions on joining & training in the Royal Navy.
Scottuk04

Entry requirements - Can anyone help?

Post by Scottuk04 »

Hi, I’m pretty much a new member on here so wanted to say hello first. Lots of useful information so I'm sure you'll see me on here quite a bit!

I recently applied to join the fleet air arm as a pilot and was unsuccessful due to my qualifications.

My question.

I first went to the Armed Forces Careers Office when I was 16/17 while at college and had an informal interview about joining the services as a pilot. From there went to an RAF introduction and informed them I wanted to be a pilot and possibly go onto University. Since then long story short! been to university and got a degree, I'm also just completing my Masters degree in exercise and nutrition. I currently work as a fitness instructor and have done quite a few courses such as first aid, national pool lifeguard, raft guide, kayaking, sports massage diploma and others.

However I took two A - Levels in a year and had to drop one as my mum was very ill and had to work and take care of her. So currently only have one A level. When I spoke to an RAF recruitment officer, he thought my degree would supersede the A-levels but I was 23 and too close to my 24th birthday.

I'm still 24, this is the only career I’ve ever wanted and work extremely hard in achieving what ever goal I set my self. I am currently looking at As/A-Level courses which I can do in a relatively short amount of time. I have written to the Captain of the AIB explaining my case but unfortunately unsuccessful.

Was wondering if anyone could give me any advice? Would greatly appreciate it.

Many thanks, Scott
Greg The Great

Post by Greg The Great »

Scott,

The deadline for the Navy is the day of your 26th birthday. Have a look here at the Navy's careers page if you haven't already done so.

You have until the day of your 26th birthday to be accepted into training.

You also require 140 UCAS points.

My advice, as I've been in your position but with the Marines, is to crack on with a further A or A/S level as soon as you possibly can. I had the opportunity to and kept putting it back until it was too late and now I've missed the deadline as I'm 26 (that's not to say I'm not gonna enjoy having a crack as a recruit).

Your priority should be gaining those UCAS points.

You've already applied once so let them know what you're up to and they'll see you're maintaining an interest.

Best of luck,
Greg.
Never chop wood in a rubber dinghy.