Share This Page:

New to the forums - Wanting to join the Royal Navy

Discussions on joining & training in the Royal Navy.
derrenfixxxer

New to the forums - Wanting to join the Royal Navy

Post by derrenfixxxer »

Hi all,

I'm a 24 year old male looking to join the Royal Navy as soon as possible really. Due to my A Level grades I am unable to join as an Officer ( I missed out by 2 UCAS points!) but this has not deterred me and I am more than happy to join as a rating.

To let you all know a little of my back story I have worked in Burger King restaurants since I was 17 years old. It started out as a part time job whilst at school then when I completed my A levels I wasn't sure what I wanted to do with myself so I went full time. I quickily rose through the ranks and was running my own restaurant by the age of 19. To date I have managed 3 different restaurants but have finally decided on what I want to do with myself.

My family background is very military based, my Father is a serving soldier in Germany, all 7 of my Uncles are in the Army and my younger brother is aswell. Coming from this background I am fully prepared for the Military way of life. I.e constant moving, long periods away from family etc. My wife to be (we are to be married April 24th in Cuba!) is also from military background as her Father served in the Royal Navy during the 70's and early 80's so she is also fully prepared for the life.

My main reason for boring you all today is to pick your brains. I would like to know several things. I have visited the RN website several times but by reading some of the posts on this forum I can see that the voices of experience are far more useful.

There are several things that I am worried will affect my application. The first one being my weight. I currently weigh 17 1/2 stone. This may seem like a hell of a lot and perhaps it is but when you consider this time last year I weighed 22 stone i've not done too badly!. Although I do weigh alot i am surprisingly fit for my size. Until recently I cycled the 18 mile round trip to and from work every day ( my bicycle was recently stolen!) and I intend on beginning a runnning regime in the next few weeks. I have well above average upper body strength and can comfortably knock out 30 press ups and 60 sit ups however pull ups are a it tough due to my excess weight. I am a very strong swimmer and I am confident i can pass any swimming test i may be required to take. So to put it in simpler terms will my high body mass index prevent me entering the RN or will I still be able to take the physical tests to try and enter?

Secondly my local doctors surgery recently took my blood pressure and informed me that it was high, will this be an issue during the medical?

My school grades are above average (7 b's + 2 c's GCSE D in A-level maths E in A- level Physics) and I am in the process of becoming a member of Mensa so I am familiar to aptitude style tests. Although I am aware there are only two entry point in the RN ( Rating + Officer) is there any kind of accelerated promotion system in place should an individual particularily excel? ( Not that I am implying I would but you never know.)

Finally what are the tests involved both physical and mental from application through to Raleigh? What should I wear to the careers office for my first visit? I am a firm believer in first impressions so I was thinking of suit and tie but is this too much for a careers chat?

Thank you all in advance.
borisimo

Post by borisimo »

running wise you will have to do the royal navy fitness test which is 1.5 miles (2.4k) in 11mins 13 seconds, so get your running shoes on :)

and you can never go wrong with a suit in this sort of situation, dress to impress :) and if they take the piss you can just say you came straight from work

see:
http://www.mfat.co.uk/rn.php?page=rn1

for some useful info
Applied: 11th November 05
Written test: Passed
Interview: Passed
Medical: Passed
PJFT: Passed 9.47
PRMC: october
mfat_man

Post by mfat_man »

Derrenfixxxer, just put your best fott forward and go for it!

With regard to fitness (which is what these forums are mainly for) little, by little. Cycling is OK but it does not work as many muscles as when you run. Personally I use the cross-trainer, but then I am older.

At your age you COULD lose weight quickly if you get in the habit of training 3 or 4 times a week and not over-eating... eg pizza, burgers and the nornal high-calorie rubbish.

Good luck 8) MFAT
letsrole

Post by letsrole »

Personally, I would get my weight down before I start running as this can bring on injuries to your legs (shins and knees in particular!). I would build up a good level of fitness by rowing, swimming and cycling regularly (combined with healthy easting this will help to bring your weight down). After your weight has come down a few more stone then work on running.

P.S. You mist out by 40 UCAS points (D+E= 100 UCAS points and you need 140)
proffered

Post by proffered »

I recently read somewhere that the Army are looking to raise the entry BMI for males to 32 from 28 for some regiments/roles, finally accepting that it is a flawed measure.

However, this means that all 3 services will (officially) frown upon anyone with a BMI greater than 28. However, it can be done, as my lardy arse was accepted with a 'please try to get fitter' note. The MO advised strong black coffee and Capstan's in lieu of food!

With respect to your weight, you would need to be 2 metres tall to have a BMI of 28 (unlikely I assume).

However, ignoring all of that bumph, congratulations on losing so much weight. Like others have said, it should be relatively easy to drop the remainder with basic modifications to your diet and routine. Echoing letsrole I'd be trying to stick to low impact exercise until lighter (no point rushing into an injury and becoming disheartened).

Your hypertension is a little more thought provoking. For a real diagnosis of hypertension you are supposed to go to your GPs 3 times over 8 weeks to ensure it is really high, and not a one-off. Depending upon the actual pressures, I would be concerned to see a 24 year old with hypertension. I think it would be in your interests to see your GP about it again, and try to have a more formal assessment of your blood pressure. If there is a problem then you get it sorted sooner, if no problem then it is on your record with evidence to back it up.
Of course, without trying to sound patronising, it could merely be a reflection of the cardiovascular effort it takes for you to walk/cycle to the docs. Losing weight and becoming fitter still would tackle that.

Hope this helps,

Adrian
Ruth

Post by Ruth »

Agree with the above. Save your knees - you only get one pair. As for the blood pressure, it should come down as your weight does. Also, it can be raised by caffeine, so see if there is a difference with having no tea or coffee for 24 hours before your next check.

Congratulations and keep it up. You're an example to all uss unfit docs!
derrenfixxxer

Post by derrenfixxxer »

Thanks for all your replies so far guys, any contribution is helpful.
adrianproffitt wrote:I recently read somewhere that the Army are looking to raise the entry BMI for males to 32 from 28 for some regiments/roles, finally accepting that it is a flawed measure.

However, this means that all 3 services will (officially) frown upon anyone with a BMI greater than 28. However, it can be done, as my lardy arse was accepted with a 'please try to get fitter' note. The MO advised strong black coffee and Capstan's in lieu of food!
With regards to BMI would I be correct in thinking that there is a maximum BMI for entry or can you get in with a high BMI if still capable of passing the PT? Not wanting to sound like I'm making excuses but I did alot of free weight training in my late teens and do have large amounts of muscle mass under all the flab! This obviously increases my body weight more than just fat does. This kind of scenario sure seems to make the BMI system a little unreliable.

I also read the article about raising BMI in the Army (In the Times) if this is true and the RN is very strict on BMI then I need only lose 1 1/2 stone to be eligible for entry. If it sticks at 28 BMI I need to get down to 14 stone! I'm % foot 11 by the way not 2 meters tall :D
Doc

Post by Doc »

Just ask yourself this, have you ever seen a fat matelot???

Exactly :lol:

Blood Pressure needs to be sorted though, for your health aswell as joining up, I think if its confirmed it will be an issue for you.

Best of luck and can I have fries with that :lol:

Doc

If you want to lose weight fast Adrian, just pop to Morroco, shove your head under the nearest tap and drink a pint of local water, you will see the fat loss several times an hour via your arse :lol: :lol: :lol: worked for me, crap holiday though :lol:
OMSSMretd

Post by OMSSMretd »

Doc wrote:Just ask yourself this, have you ever seen a fat matelot???

Im not fat just big boned. :o
It's a submarine not a f*cking tambourine !
mfat_man

Post by mfat_man »

Doc wrote:Just ask yourself this, have you ever seen a fat matelot???

Blood Pressure needs to be sorted though, for your health aswell as joining up, I think if its confirmed it will be an issue for you.

Best of luck and can I have fries with that :lol:

Doc

If you want to lose weight fast Adrian, just pop to Morroco, shove your head under the nearest tap and drink a pint of local water, you will see the fat loss several times an hour via your arse :lol: :lol: :lol: worked for me, crap holiday though :lol:
Doc

Reminds me of the trip I did to Baku to meet an ex para mate (off this site) who is now in the oil business.. did the trip up towards the Dagastan border and we stopped for goat sozzies... not a good idea :(

Very intersting place though a real mix of russia, middle east and the west!

Keep healthy :lol: MFAT
derrenfixxxer

Post by derrenfixxxer »

I probably seem really slow now but I best ask anyway.

a> what is a Matelot? Sounds like a brand of condom to me :D
b> are they often fat?

Sorry if i'm asking dumb questions I am merely a newb.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Matelot Sailor

Not always fat, some very fit ones, but the fitness standards in the RN are alot lower than the Army for example. Different roles different needs.
derrenfixxxer

Post by derrenfixxxer »

Thanks Doc for clearing that up. Makes perfect sense on the different fitness levels required, come to think of it I seem to remember all my Dad's mates being mountains of men but then he is Artillery which again doesn't require massive fitness levels.

As for Matelot i'm glad I asked that now rather than when (Positive Mental Attitude) I get to Raleigh. I'd probably get beasted for calling them a brand of condoms!
Brian-

Post by Brian- »

Just out of interest, if the maximum BMI is 28, what's the minimum?
Doc

Post by Doc »

In all honesty I have no idea to be honest, and thats being honest in total honesty (I seem to have a thing for the word honesty in its many grammatic forms this evening), but I seem to recall a few posts since being a member on here about lads being told to put on some weight before going to basic training. If they were being honest obviously :lol:

BMI is a stupid measure anyway, think of telling your professional rugger player, or heavyweight boxer they are too fat and unfit!