Share This Page:

RN NURSE to RM?

Discussions on joining & training in the Royal Navy.
DMSDAYDEXTER

RN NURSE to RM?

Post by DMSDAYDEXTER »

I'm a qualified nurse seriously thinking about joining the Navy. My question is do nurses serve with the RM forward field hospital (sorry I don't know the technical term for this & yes I'm a bloke!!) and if so do they need to pass the AACC? I'd be grateful for any info, I've searched the forum and all I can find info about is MA's and Dr's in RM. This is my first post on the forum although I've been visiting for a couple of years. Great Site!

Regards

DD
Doc

Post by Doc »

RN Nurses serve in a Hospital or large RN sickbay such as at HMS Nelson or Drake. They can volunteer for service with the Field Hospitals and within each area there are Surgical Teams. If Medical Squadron of the Commando Logistics Regiment deploy then the surgical teams go with it.
These teams are not based with the RM but do complete 2 weeks field training per year at Cdo Logs. Nurses do not serve full time with the RM as MA's and Dr's do. There is no requirement to do the commando course.

You may also find yourself serving afloat on a hospital ship in support of amphibious operations.

Cdo Logs Med Sqn is made up of RN medics, RN Doctors, RM, and the odd RAMC.

In my day RNH Plymouth and RNH Haslar had surgical teams in reserve to deploy with the squadron ( i think it is now the Military section at Derriford and Drake, and the Royal Hospital Haslar that now supply these teams. Plus RN Reserve people.

RM Band also deploy with Cdo Logs as stretcher bearers.

I think CTC has a nurse or two but not sure if they are commando trained..I doubt it.

Doc
DMSDAYDEXTER

Post by DMSDAYDEXTER »

Not what I wanted to hear, although thanks for your advice, I'd rather hoped to do the AACC and get covered in mud and do the 30 miler as I can't think of anything more boring that spending 5 years in another succession of hospital environments.

Regards

DD

Post by Guest »

yes I'm a bloke
I thought a man was a doctor and a woman was a nurse?
Hallsy

Post by Hallsy »

erm.. no mate you can get female doctors and male nurses aswell mate.
Doc

Post by Doc »

StinkyFurby wrote:
yes I'm a bloke
I thought a man was a doctor and a woman was a nurse?
plank
djmarkmclachlan

Post by djmarkmclachlan »

lol
flynn101

Post by flynn101 »

Well considering a Doctors STEREOTYPICALY a male and a Nurse a Female what would an MA be? :lol: :lol:
Doc

Post by Doc »

A farking hard cnut! both genders covered there I think!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
SeaCat

Post by SeaCat »

AN MA? In my experience, A really manly women, or a really womenly man......
Doc

Post by Doc »

hmmmm......

SeaCat your STD results are back and national geographic want to interview you after we found a new species in the swab test! :lol:
djmarkmclachlan

Don't stereotype then. An MA is a Medical Assisstant. :) check www.royalnavy.mod.uk for the de-brief :wink:
OMSSMretd

Post by OMSSMretd »

djmarkmclachlan wrote:Don't stereotype then. An MA is a Medical Assisstant. :) check www.royalnavy.mod.uk for the de-brief :wink:
I think everyone here is aware what an medical assistant is, blossom.
Last edited by OMSSMretd on Thu 11 Aug, 2005 3:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
djmarkmclachlan

flynn101 wrote:Well considering a Doctors STEREOTYPICALY a male and a Nurse a Female what would an MA be? :lol: :lol:
Maybe not :wink:
JWT

Post by JWT »

Doc, "THE PLANK", Short and Thick??? :roll: My day were they Not SBA :roll: and lets be truthful some of those were hard to categorise, Male, Female, sometimes wondered. What ever, they knew their job and carried it out WELL.

Cheers, JWT
Do unto others as they do unto you BUT?????