Share This Page:

RN NURSE to RM?

Discussions on joining & training in the Royal Navy.
flynn101

Post by flynn101 »

Ok people are taking my joke stereotype question way to seriously!
OMSSMretd

Post by OMSSMretd »

OMSSMretd wrote:
djmarkmclachlan wrote:Don't stereotype then. An MA is a Medical Assisstant. :) check www.royalnavy.mod.uk for the de-brief :wink:
I think everyone here is aware what an medical assistant is, blossom.
I was trying to point that out to this nugget.
djmarkmclachlan

Post by djmarkmclachlan »

I got the joke. So shut up about the Nugget, retard.
Doc

Post by Doc »

JWT wrote:Doc, "THE PLANK", Short and Thick??? :roll: My day were they Not SBA :roll: and lets be truthful some of those were hard to categorise, Male, Female, sometimes wondered. What ever, they knew their job and carried it out WELL.

Cheers, JWT
They were indeed SBA's in time of steam and the tot :roll: :lol:

They then became MA's with the invention of penicillin and bootneck sickbays have been quiet ever since :lol:
JWT

Post by JWT »

Hi Doc, Can remember the "TOT" with affection.
Funnels "STEAMING", Once or Thrice.
PENICILIN, I was a Royal Marine?
SBA attached to Commando Units were priceless, could get "Stitched Up" late at night, no fuss, no commotion, on Duty or Off.
Doc when did the change occur from SBA's to MA's, I cant remember.

JWT
Do unto others as they do unto you BUT?????
Doc

Post by Doc »

Before my time JWT! I do remember being told but not the date. I will do some digging and find out.

And your right about us being forever on bootnecks beckon call...breakfast, sick parade, during standeasy, scran, sports afternoon, scran, grot, pissed, hungover, shower, shaving, shitting, w4nking, ............just some of the times Royal would say them immortal words "Doc whats this!!!! :o :o " or "Doc is this normal! :o :o "

first answer was "fark knows heres two brufen and fark off!"
second answer was "fark knows heres two brufen and fark off!"

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I once walked to scran one morning and one of the lads in the squadron bimbles up and cant thank me enough for stitching his head in the grot last night after his run in with some civvies! No worries says I, glad to be of service!

I then walk around the block and :o I cant to this day remember doing it....pissed I was and apparantly put 6 stitches in as clean as you like! If only I was that good sober I may have made POMA! :roll: :lol:
OMSSMretd

Post by OMSSMretd »

djmarkmclachlan wrote:I got the joke. So shut up about the Nugget, retard.
He He, I like you, you bite dead easy.
harry hackedoff

Post by harry hackedoff »

How long is the training to be an MA?
I mean how long before you can sort all medical problems into one of two classes.
Either A)Fark all I can do about that, Royal :roll:
Or, B) Take two Brufen and fark off 8)

Take no notice Doc, you can be my run ashore buddy, anytime :wink:
Up Spirits!
[url=http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/groupcp.php?g=397][img]http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/images/usergroups/listener.gif[/img][/url]
Artist

Post by Artist »

Stinky Furby

Put your hands down your shreddies and check will you. If you find a Tackle and Two your male. If not your female. Stop with the stupid posts Moron! Theres funny and then theres Pathetic.

Artist
jockladfaejockland

Post by jockladfaejockland »

Christ on a pike I leave your girls on your own for a minute and you all start throwing handbags round! :lol:
Nobbys the name Minehunting the game.

I'll get me coat...
Doc

Post by Doc »

harry hackedoff wrote:How long is the training to be an MA?
I mean how long before you can sort all medical problems into one of two classes.
Either A)Fark all I can do about that, Royal :roll:
Or, B) Take two Brufen and fark off 8)

Take no notice Doc, you can be my run ashore buddy, anytime :wink:
Up Spirits!

See typical Royal and his lack of understanding, the two lessons you mentioned are taken during the first week of training, the following 12 months is taken in lessons and tests on the different strengths of Brufen.

The advanced course is on Tubigrip, and the advanced advanced course is on no shaving/boots/lower body phys/granny's funeral chits.

Cant make the run ashore as I got brufen 200mg twice a day confused with brufen 400mg once a day and Im on remedial training, which actually worries me as Im now a civvie!

:lol: :lol:
big_al

Post by big_al »

StinkyFurby wrote:
yes I'm a bloke
I thought a man was a doctor and a woman was a nurse?
Bloody spanner. :roll:
Stix@CTC

Post by Stix@CTC »

Doc and DMSDAYDEXTER

Just to bring you up to date.....

At CTC the sickbay is staffed by MA's , naval nurses and PO's and a CPO. Since I have been there everyone senior to a Killick has been Commando trained.
Even if you have not got a green lid, they all do the "Military Awarness Course" MAC before they serve with Royal. The latest course started last week and the majority were all pressed men (and women) ie NOT volunteers. When I collected them from the common they were very muddy indeed!! :D The Navy has always been short of MA's that want to serve with the Corps and this is why the MAC course was started and also why they introduced R.M. MA's. Knowing they couldn't serve with the Marines if they didn't do a AACC protected them from serving with the Corps - not any more though :x
However, there is a school of thought that once you have served time with the Green Machine you can't escape back to the warm life of a sailor. They also feel it slows down their promotion - and from what I have seen I would agree.

Bottom line is, that if you are a Matelot MA and you want to serve with the Marines, you'll get sent before the ink on the application form is dry.
It's not how many posts you have made......It's the quality of what you say when you get here.[img]http://www.theheskins.eclipse.co.uk/drum2.gif[/img]
Wee Willy Winkie

Post by Wee Willy Winkie »

big_al wrote:
StinkyFurby wrote:
yes I'm a bloke
I thought a man was a doctor and a woman was a nurse?
Bloody spanner. :roll:
my thoughts exaclty, just sit back down furby lol i cant help it, im lmao at that statement hahahahaha :lol: :lol: :lol: W/w]W
"All right, they're on our left, they're on our right, they're in front of us, they're behind us...they can't get away this time"
Doc

Post by Doc »

Cheers Stix, I dont think the Naval Nurses are commando trained though are they? Maybe all different now of course.

When I was CTC the headman was a WOMA, cant remember his name for the life of me.

The MAC first came into being because Logs was so undermanned. They did a trial run up at Chivenor and then CTC took it onboard. I was at Chivenor when the first lads got press ganged into going to CTC and there werent many happy bunnies, those that came back about 75% had chits in to draft, 25% actually enjoyed it and a few went back to do the full course.

Matelots getting attached always feel seen off when it comes to promotion etc, and in fairness its true, most ranks are local acting and time off for courses was rare due to being so undermanned. Hope things are better now with Royal doing the MA's course and the MAC.

The first Bootneck to try the MA's course was a fellow Taff from the same town as me, he was with 3 BAS at the time and pitched up at Haslar for an aquaint. We knew each other well, and spent the whole week pished as arses. He never got invited back and it was obvious to my DO which direction my medical career was going :lol: