Share This Page:

AIB Date

Discussions on joining & training in the Royal Navy.
big_al

AIB Date

Post by big_al »

Hi everyone,
I've just recieved my AIB date: 4th - 6th October :o , and was just wondering if anyone has the same date.

Cheers guys,
Al
Rico

Post by Rico »

Alright bud, sorry for hijacking your thread but was just wondering how long it took from your filter interview to get an AIB date?

What you applying for? This is a good website, got to search back a bit though.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/royalnavyaib/
big_al

AIB

Post by big_al »

Alright mate,
I've applied for the FAA, so I had to do flying aptitude tests first. I got my date about a week after that. I guess that if you're just going for regular officer, then it would take about 2 weeks before you get your AIB date. I got a call from the AIB woman before I got the letter. They'll call first just to confirm that you can make the date that they're giving you.
Cheers,
Al
sophiebutty

Post by sophiebutty »

hi guys,

I'm new to this forum and have just got my AIB date for 15th January. I want to join as a Medical Officer. Just womdering if anyone has any handy hints etc for me or if anyine could give me a brief overview of what to expect cos all people keep telling me is that AIB has changed!

Thanks very much and good luck to everyone with their applications.

Soph

xxxx
Doc

Post by Doc »

Hi Sophie

Try sending AdrianProfitt a Private Message, hes joining the RN as a MO in January, so maybe helpful with process info.

Good luck and remember all is cured with brufen :lol:
proffered

Post by proffered »

Sophiebutty, check your PMs
:)

Doc - just reminded me that whilst on a tovisit to RFA Argus in Aug, I mentioned to a QARNN Lt that there seemed to be a lot of storage just for brufen (with tongue obviously in cheek). Cue one rather odd look and an attempt at correcting my gross misunderstanding. Does this mean that only the MA's get to dish out brufen :cry: That wasn't metioned at the recruiting office...

Adrian
Doc

Post by Doc »

We cant allow Doctors and Nurses to play with decent pills!! Christ you'll be wanting to go on the advanced tubigrip application course next at Barts! :lol:

I personally think Brufen is the biggest pile of canine excrement going. At theraputic dose it strips out your GI lining, and at "safe" dose its like a smartie! Mind you Nexium is good so whack the dose up on the brufen and dual prescribe.....Cox 2's? Pah...shite! :lol: oh hang on as you've been in civvy street, can't afford nexium so losec generic it is then :lol: :lol: (same thing just minus a few isotopes, and helping Astra keep in profit with clever marketing..oops I mean science :oops: )

Best of luck both of you, you'll soon be sitting in a quiet consulting room with MA's doing all the work and making you tea.

One of my MO's even went out and got pissed with us one night, walked into my grot and spewed everywhere. OC's rounds next morning and the place stunk of menthol crystals, I was splashing some around the floor in hot water when I tipped the whole lot in a plant pot! Bloke was a plank, but the others were top drawer. Just remember that when you get to a sickbay (especially commando forces) sit back and absorb, military medicine is different to civvy in its approach, most MOs spend a few weeks raising eyebrows as MAs do things that should be .....well you'll see :lol: :lol:
proffered

Post by proffered »

Being serious, I've got to confess I only prescribe diclofenac if I've got to use an NSAID, ibuprofen is tosh. Esomeprazole/Nexium doesn't really differ too much from losec, just its more potent (and ££)- all the PPI types are quite safe, so potency isn't really an issue (unless IV for GI bleed). Cheap = good in our beloved NHS. Also, all hospitals have a rather restrictive formulary, so we really don't get much say in what to prescribe. Indeed, the negotiation of cheap supply by pharma companies certainly takes precedence over clinical issues when a formulary is drawn up.

Tubigrip makes me chuckle - I just dress things with as much tape as God can provide.

Am looking forward to starting. As an aside, on my acquaint visit I unfortunately got horrendously drunk, and couldn't recall the evening's activites. This prompted rumours stating that I had walked back from Gosport to the base naked. The next day the recruiters asked me to 'go Royal' as my behaviour, if not my physique, demanded that I do so. Are the rumours true - I really don't know, but I'm sure someone must have had evidence on their mobiles!! :oops:
Doc

Post by Doc »

You arent in the RN medical services until you've walked naked around Gosport, Sophie let me know when your ready :lol:

I was a rep with AZ when they launched Nexium, patent extension ploy at its best :lol: Symbicort is good though, better than seretide!!!

Medical piss ups are famous, suturing when sloshed is great at improving technique. I once put 6 into a lads chin late one evening, and during breakfast next day I was totally confused by all the thanks....didnt remember a thing...still dont :lol: did a good job though 8)

We used to use alot of naproxen when I was in, gut rot or what!

I launched celebrex when with Pfizer, didnt do aswell as we hoped, marketing was crap and then the other was pulled which has affected Cox2's. Theres still mobic (yep I worked for Boerhinger too!) Cox 2 my arse :lol:

Most lads take and most medics prescribe brufen for its pysch affects....you could give Royal placebo XL and he'd be happy :lol:

Go Royal Adrian, its brill for medicine and the job itself. Lots of trauma training, beats looking after geriatrics at Haslar or minging janners in Derriford. Fleet Air Arm is good but I dont think many MOs get to fly, mainly LMAs.

Avoid Drake and Nelson, get yourself a nice little sickbay where you are the boss, just dont tell the POMA that :lol:
sophiebutty

Post by sophiebutty »

Hmm well if I pass my AIB I'm sure that I might have to have a "few" drinks to celebrate and God only knows what might happen then. Gosport isn't all that big....is it?

Thanks so much for all your help guys. Am starting to feel a little less nauseous but not by much.

Soph
xxxx
Doc

Post by Doc »

Gosport gets bigger if your so drunk you dont remember getting on the ferry! :o Try finding RNH Haslar (or RH Haslar or whatever it is these days) when your walking around Portsmouth.

Good luck with the AIB Sophie, sure you'll be fine. Not a scouser are you?? :o :lol:
proffered

Post by proffered »

Spent the 2nd night on the acquaint visit wandering through Portsmouth after 0300 with a very nice young gent :-? (also on the acquaint), after going back to a house with a couple of girls - he was unsuccessful, a third fella with us was (he stayed), and I for my sins am too faithful for my own good!!
Because we didn't have a clue where we were, we couldn't get a taxi, and so decided to plod back, following various road signs. Must have been walking for a good 90 mins - finally got to the ferry which of course wasn't running at that ungodly hour. In the end we decided to sleep in the train station (emphasis - not together!!) until the next ferry came, bloody freezing, got back, got changed and went out ready for our trip to HMS Invicible.
Meet aforementioned third fella looking chirpy, he had the common sense to fall asleep almost as soon as we left (without any action) and got a taxi back in the morning.

With hindsight it was an enjoyable trip, but at the time I was so embarassed. I really thought I'd get a letter advising me not to apply due to my bad behaviour, scruffy appearance and apparent lack of concentration!! Superb fun though.
Doc

Post by Doc »

I didnt like Pompey, I was a Guz rating!!

I was in the last but one batch of MAs to be partly trained at RNH Plymouth which was 5 mins walk from Union Street!!! :o :lol: bloody brills it was :lol:
sophiebutty

Post by sophiebutty »

Adrian,

I'm sure that we got told a bit about your acquaint after we were describing how Jamie succeeded in getting thrown out of Tiger Tiger for getting naked. Thought you'd be proud to know that you have passed in to Acquaint visit folklore. You weren't the group who missed the ferry so made a swim for it and had to be rescued before they were swept in to the Channel, were you? That really takes some beating

Take care everyone

Soph
xxxx
sophiebutty

Post by sophiebutty »

Also for the record, I'm a Mancunian born and bred. Not sure if that's worse to u lot, but I don't have an accent and everyone thinks I'm a soft Southerner.

Adieu

Soph
xxxx