Share This Page:

Royal Fleet Auxiliary

Discussions on joining & training in the Royal Navy.
Proud Salopian

Royal Fleet Auxiliary

Post by Proud Salopian »

:) I came across the website for the Royal Fleet Auxiliary today and it looked like a career i could pursue. Does anybody know much about it? I have sent off for a information pack but i would like to hear from somebody who has joined or has served in the RFA in the past. Cheers! :D
Doddy

Post by Doddy »

Hello Proud Salopian,

I served 4 months as the Medic on one of the RFA vessels,while serving in the RN.
The working life onboard RFA vessels are a lot more relaxed,single or two man cabins,no mess decks, rounds or Inspections are not done every day, bigger bars,cheap booze,no having to wear uniforms in the evening when off duty and you get your tax back if you are at sea more than 6 months in a year,plus the medical is a lot more relaxed,I think its an EMB 1,Easy !

But on the down side,most trips you will be at sea or away from home for 4 months with 6 weeks off and there is non or very little chance of you working onshore.
The job roles you can choose are very limited,just because of the nature of there role,plus unlike the navy you will not be drafted to a ship for 18 months you will bounce from one ship to another.

I hope that helps a little
Proud Salopian

Post by Proud Salopian »

Thanks for that Doddy. You have more or less covered the main points i wanted to know about, so thanks. I was thinking about the Navy but when i came across the RFA i thought it sounded very different and sounded like something i could do so i think will apply and see what happens. Cheers! :D
mark22

Post by mark22 »

The RFA spend more time away than the navy, because they have too help NATO forces
Focus

Post by Focus »

good post doddy