Share This Page:

Infantry regiment choices

General discussions on joining & training in the British Army.
ofens

Infantry regiment choices

Post by ofens »

Hi all, I'm looking for some advice about career in the Infantry.

I recently passed ADSC with a high A and proceeded to PRAC.
I failed PRAC, and have been told that I should do really well in another infantry regiment.

It was not a catastrophic failure, just a bit slow on the 1.5M run and the Steeple Chase.
I really enjoyed everything we did and it affirmed my interest in the regiment.

Prior to this I did a little research on backup plans just in case this should happen, but to be honest am somewhat stuck as to how to choose between the different Infantry regiments.

My ambitions are to get involved in operational tours and interesting exercises as much as possible.
I would still love to do P-Coy at some point whilst in another regiment, or perhaps transfer to Para Reg at a later date - if this is realistically possible.

A PRAC NCO strongly suggested joining the Guards because they have a Para coy, and that it is common for men to join guards, after some time in transfer to guards Para coy, then to Para Reg itself.
This sounded reasonable but I did get the impression he might just be selling the idea because they're short of men in the guards! Does anyone know more about this?

I would really appreciate any suggestions / information / advice.
I'm keen to join and get started with training ASAP, but want to make the right choice of regiment.

Cheers
ofens
[i]Hangover is temporary, drinking lasts forever![/i]
[b]IT WILL COME[/b]
Ares-God of War

Re: Infantry regiment choices

Post by Ares-God of War »

hi ofens

i know in the guards you do alot of parades. dont know if thats your type of thing if not then better choose another regiment. :wink:

heres a link to the mod site on infantry regiments mite be useful :-?
http://www.army.mod.uk/infantry/regiments/default.aspx

Ares
Team work is essential, it gives them other people to shoot at. - Unknown

If at first you don't succeed, call in an airstrike. - Unknown

Friendly Fire, isn't - Unknown
sportbilly42

Post by sportbilly42 »

If the para role flicks your switch why go for that via the Guards route? Too much bullshit, marching, ceremonial practice, parades, more marching, brushing bearskins, boot bulling sweat nights... and between time you get some infantry drills thrown in.

Why not go down the Engineers route? You come across as someone with their head screwed on, so get yourself in as a sapper, get the army to train and skill you up with a trade (ready for when you eventually end your career in the army) and aim to join 9 Para Sqn RE....
ofens

Post by ofens »

Thanks ARES I'll have another read there :-)

sportbilly42 - thanks that's an interesting idea! My brother was in RE so maybe he will know something about that.
Am googling it right now to learn about it...
[b]IT WILL COME[/b]
Tab

Post by Tab »

It can be done, I did it.
ofens

Post by ofens »

Hi Tab, do you mean you transfered to Para Reg from somewhere else?
[b]IT WILL COME[/b]
Tab

Post by Tab »

That is correct Ofens is was in the QORWK and didn't like my posting so I became a Para instead
ofens

Post by ofens »

Thanks Tab that's good to know. I note that QORWK disbanded in 1961, did all your mates transfer too? :lol:

I wonder what the current transfer process is like.
I'd imagine that where and when there is a need for men, this is likely to happen, whereas a full regiment will just not be interested.
Also a regiment won't want to lose guys it's taken the time to train.

I think the best thing I can do now is choose another infantry regiment, as that is the job I want to do.
(The 9 Para Sqn RE route sounds like a really good and interesting job! But really I want to pursue the infantry role.)

And then give that regiment my best efforts, and get involved and committed properly, but look into the possibility of transfer at some point later on or if the opportunity comes up.
I've also heard from a couple of different places that transfers do sometimes occur during basic training for different reasons.
But as said I'm going to keep this idea on the back burner.

I'm going to discuss options again with the AFCO this week with a view to making a decision and getting started ASAP.
I'll come back with the outcome but in the meantime anyone with any thoughts or comments please feel free I'd like to hear them :)
[b]IT WILL COME[/b]
timex

Post by timex »

Can you re-attend PRAC? If so why not have a go when your fitness improves.
Tab

Post by Tab »

I did my P Course back in the mid 1950's there were a further three lads that put in for it as well and all of us passed. In those days it was done in Aldershot and one of the sections would be done on what was a tank training ground where you were up to waist in mud and water. This was the section that you raced with a full length telegraph pole and had to drag through tunnels and round bends. Doing this in January in the snow and ice was not a lot fun and as others dropped out your load soon increased. If this was bad enough it was getting your kit clean for the next day as you had to scrub in cold water as there was never any hot water and there was no heating whats so ever in the barracks .
There were no power points either so you wired in an electric iron into the lighting system and and ironed almost dry and wore it damp the next day. This also applied to the rest of clothes like your shirt and underwear, you would never dare wear the sweater or that would never dry. I am never surprised when many of the chaps I know suffer with problems with their joints
ofens

Post by ofens »

It was my second PRAC, first was right before Xmas second right after, should have left more time before the second I think.

Those conditions remind me of my dad's stories, he used to say things were so bad on camp that they looked forward to deploying in the field as it was so much more comfortable! :lol:
[b]IT WILL COME[/b]
ofens

Post by ofens »

Update: Spoke to AFCO today.

Rifles looks like a really good option, it looks like lots of different things going on because it's a big regiment. 1 Rifles do AACC so perhaps get involved in that if I can.

I also spoke to someone from the Guards and he explained that once through basic training, guys who are fit enough can go straight to guards para company and get involved in that.
(Does anyone know more about this...?)

I've been offered the chance to go on a "Look at life" course with the guards, I think I'll go on that to learn more. That way I can make a better informed choice.

Any lads from Rifles or Guards who are in / recently completed training reading this, I'd like to hear from you :)
[b]IT WILL COME[/b]
timex

Post by timex »

Be very wary of what recruiters promise..

1 Rifles are attached to 3 Cdo Bde as a manouvre Unit, however Cdo training hasn't really taken off and only a few have been able to do it.

As to the Guards, they are a bit bullshit orientated so personally I'd be very wary, worked with them a few times and not overly impressed (prior to Afghan).
ofens

Post by ofens »

Hi timex, thanks for your input. I'll bear that in mind...it's hard to know who to trust, everyone's motivations are different!
1 Rifles are attached to 3 Cdo Bde as a manouvre Unit
What is a manouvre unit?

Cheers
ofens
[b]IT WILL COME[/b]
timex

Post by timex »

A standard Army Bde has 4 Battalions as its "Manouvre Units", (its fighting troops). The RM only has 3 Cdo Units so to make it simpler for the Op deployments and Training of the Bde,1 Rifles was attached to bring us into line with the Army's set up. (personally I think that they should have reformed 41 Cdo).