Share This Page:

How does Army medical screening work..

General discussions on joining & training in the British Army.
StanpyX

How does Army medical screening work..

Post by StanpyX »

Can Recruiters reject you if they think you're medically unsuitable? I know they can if you're overweight, but what about for things in the guidance notes that make certain conditions permanently unsuitable? Can your Recruiter decide this, or is the final decision made in the medical screening at the ADSC?

I'm asking because I've had a psych 'condition' that's very highly likely a bar on me serving (more than one episode of self-harm, to be exact), but the thing is, my old psychiatrist recently pretty much said I'm fine and I was taken off a mood stabiliser within 3 months and just told me I should exercise and eat healthily (no joke) and I subsequently discharged from their care, so I'm thinking that a mental health professionals word holds the most water, but I don't know how the Army sees it. Is it possible to get certain things like a special psychiatric approval? I'm putting in an application to join the Army when I finish college this summer, so I want to figure out how I will go about this. Obviously I cannot lie about two incidences that are in my medical records and I don't intend to do that.

I keep hearing that they recruit on a one-to-one/case-to-case basis, but on the other hand they have a blanket ban on certain people joining, which I know is neccessary for things like asthma or diabetes, but how do they handles someone case when they've been declared as "just fine" however do not seem to meet the requirements of the AFCO guidance notes? There's contradictory information everywhere on the internet..
Tab

Re: How does Army medical screening work..

Post by Tab »

The Army can at the moment pick and chose who ever it wants for the forces, so if they suspect there could be problem in future then they will avoid that risk. Remember it costs a fortune to train you and they will want to be sure you will be there fit and healthy and the end of your period of service.
harbinger

Post by harbinger »

Short answer to your first question: Yes. He can.
StanpyX

Post by StanpyX »

But I thought recruiters weren't medically qualified personnel (it even says so on the Guidance Notes)? That's my point. I know they can pick and choose who they want to have, and I know there's no shortage of people interested in enlisting due to the economy, but I don't see why a recruiters word in regards to medical issues would hold more water than a doctor's. In any case I plan to give it a shot, anyway. I can get medical proof that I'm fine if I need to, however if anyone could advise me on where you would bring this up? I take it the first interview would not be wise, but I'm aware you have to fill in a medical questionaire (and so does your GP) at some point before you're sent to the Army Development & Selection Centre. I want a fair hearing at least, I don't want to be written off quickly because of some presumption that I'll leave the Army suffering from a bad dose of PTSD or snap one day and shoot everyone, or whatever. I'm really nothing like that. Obviously I accept that it's a hard, on the go lifestyle which is mentally and physically challenging, but my issues were never because my boyfriend left me or anything so trivial. I wouldn't bother if I thought that my life was going to be some constant stress and misery. If anything, a productive on-the-go lifestyle would help me a lot.
timex

Post by timex »

I think you'll find that it's not the recruiters "Medical Knowledge" that's in question, it will be the fact that you have declared a problem and if that's in certain areas he will have to say No.

Good luck.....
StanpyX

Post by StanpyX »

timex wrote:I think you'll find that it's not the recruiters "Medical Knowledge" that's in question, it will be the fact that you have declared a problem and if that's in certain areas he will have to say No.

Good luck.....
So what if you don't declare it, and bring it up at the medical instead?
timex

Post by timex »

StanpyX wrote:
timex wrote:I think you'll find that it's not the recruiters "Medical Knowledge" that's in question, it will be the fact that you have declared a problem and if that's in certain areas he will have to say No.

Good luck.....
So what if you don't declare it, and bring it up at the medical instead?
Probably not a wise thing to do, but you will still have to disclose it at some stage. Is it worth the risk?
harbinger

Post by harbinger »

Good luck.....
Exactly, the recruiter is supposed to evaluate you based on health standards, which were determined by medicinal personal and are based on experience. Not telling him would not be smart, he needs to be able the make an intelligent assesment of you.
StanpyX

Post by StanpyX »

Late response coming:

So, what if I were to declare pretty much the only episode which attracted medical attention? Any treatment I've got after was the result of that one episode. I'm not a exactly a regular guest down A&E for overdoses etc. So there's nothing in my medical notes that suggest I've did it other times seeing as I never sought medical attention for any of the other times and my scars have healed. What's not written down can't be found out, really.

Sorry if I sound difficult, there's just mixed information about this everywhere. An online recruiter himself even just told me "it's decided out of the recruiters hands, and by the medical professionals", correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't that mean by an actual medical assessment?

EDIT:
I've found a useful link
http://www.arrse.co.uk/regular-soldier- ... 346-a.html

On the 'psychiatric disorders' it says, as long as it's only one episode, I must be free of symptoms etc for another three years.
:/
MSI64

Post by MSI64 »

The Recruiter has a list of medical conditions that make you ineligble. If yousay yes to any of theses he can stop your aaplication there and then, or he can put you forward to a Medical depending on how you seem to him.
If your recruiter decides to say No you can always ask to speak to the office manager for another opinion.
Be advised though 99% of the time the Recruiter is right.
Courage which goes against military expediency is stupidity, or, if it is insisted upon by a commander, irresponsibility."

"So long as one isn't carrying one's head under one's arm, things aren't too bad."

Erwin Rommel (Desert Fox)