Share This Page:

Army Bricklayers

General discussions on joining & training in the British Army.
jim_t

Army Bricklayers

Post by jim_t »

I am currently doing a bricklaying apprenticeship and will finish in Aug next year with an NVQ 2 and diploma. I am considering joining RE as a bricklayer/concreter when I finish and was wondering what the job is like and if I'll spend most of my time building or soldiering. The soldiering side is attractive and why I want to join up but think its pointless joining as a brickie if I'm not gonna be doing much laying. If this is the case I would consider doing another trade. I am also aware that all sappers have to do combat engineering and was wondering what this was like.

Thanks for reading.
OrcinusOrca

Re: Army Bricklayers

Post by OrcinusOrca »

Most artisan trades in the Engineers do combat engineering before their trade, alot don't touch their trade for years and then it comes up and you're expected to know everything about it. On tour it depends on the type of tour your unit is doing and how good you are at your trade. Why not branch out and go for a trade you know nothing about, I'm sure they'd rather have you as a brickie but there are many trades to choose from. Being an Engineer isn't an easy job you have to know your trade, combat engineering and be a high standard of soldier aswell just for starters, however lots of opportunities.

Combat Engineering is all done in the calm environs of Gib Barracks just off the M3. Here you'll learn all about basic construction, water purification and distribution, dems, bridging, field forts, mine warfare, watermanship, abit of sigs and counter IED maybe, not to mention PIANO! BEAR IN THE WOODS! BRIDGES! what noise does a koala make BAAAA!
sportbilly42

Re: Army Bricklayers

Post by sportbilly42 »

As orinoco above points out, you'll learn about ALL aspects of being a sapper as part of your combat engineer training. From building stuff to blowing shit up... If you're a qualified brickie by the stage of joining up you may be lucky and get a posting to a construction squadron. I've been out of the engineers for a while now but I imagine that actual 'laying bricks' is no longer the prefered option for field construction. Field accommodation is all prefab stuff that's bolted together on site. The days of Field Squadrons setting up on operations and having a 'Build the Squadron Bar' as their first task are sadly gone. You'll be doing more 'concreting' than 'brickying'. Plenty of trade training opportunities to keep your bricky skills up though ready for when you've done your time.