Share This Page:

my Pre-ADSC 1.5 mile run result

General discussions on joining & training in the British Army.
Ninjadan1983

my Pre-ADSC 1.5 mile run result

Post by Ninjadan1983 »

So, I recently did my pre-ADSC test in Shrewsbury, Shropshire. Everyone who attended on 10/3/2010 did 2 team tasks each, jerry can test and the pin-ultimate 1.5 mile run. Bare in mind that this was just a practice run, there were some who got ridiculously fast times of around the 8 minute mark which is absolutely un-natural if you ask me.

Now, building up to the pre-ADSC I had set out a nice track for myself which is in Telford Town Park, Shropshire. I have never set a distance of 1.5 miles and then tried to get within the recommended time at all when jogging. Instead I would always set 15 minutes on the clock and just jog, then work out what distance I would have roughly gotten to. SO, in that sense, I would never know what my time would be for an actual run.

Back to doing pre-ADSC, everyone was warmed up and ready to do their run. Soon as the word go was shouted, that was it, I did not stop.... a part of me wanted to give up but then I realised how important it is to keep pushing and just go for it. ALSO, not knowing how long it would take to do as well, I was quite nervous. Now, I was shocked to see myself near the front of the pack, I was between the first 15 and 25 people out of easily 60. I thought to myself while running to my hearts content that I was doing pretty well so that urged me on. I was going all the way trying to get past each person in front of me until i got to this one guy called number 32...he was HUGE. with the martials watching our every move and telling everyone to catch up to the person in front this was really good motivation. There I was pushing myself to catch up to this number 32 guy, but I just couldnt do it. Getting to the last stretch of the run he jetted off while I was running like crazy now....ALL IN ALL, I'd gotten a time of 9 mins 20 seconds and BOY was I shocked to get a time like that.

Im so impressed with myself about this that I feel quite ready to do the actual ADSC. I know that is probably a lot more physical stuff to do and also to get in is the real hurdle I need to concentrate on. But knowing that I have already made this time for a pracice run has eased my mind a lot.

I hope this message reaches out to those that are looking for advice or even just a bit of inspiration who are getting ready for pre-adsc. A lot of it is in the mind. and like a lot of others who have said before, give it everything you've got, and you will get through it no problem at all.
benthorne

Re: my Pre-ADSC 1.5 mile run result

Post by benthorne »

Nice one, thanks for this. I'm currently waiting on my Medical forms to be sent back from my doctors and then my next step will be to do the Pre ADSC!

Any further advice would be greatly appreciated.

I still need to find out more info on the pre ADSC,do you need to be able to do 40+ press ups in 2 mins?
Blake Smith

Post by Blake Smith »

Nice one.

I'm miles from my ADSC at the moment, but I'm training hard for it - Currently running with a bag full of weights, with hills incorporated into the run.

I don't do it all the time, have no intentions in injuring a muscle or something else.
Like Life, Love Israel

SQUIRREL!!!
steve_14

Post by steve_14 »

well done on the run time mate, i was in the same boat i had timed my run but my best was about 10 minutes then at Pre ADSc i got 9:22 so was rather impressed
benthorne wrote:Nice one, thanks for this. I'm currently waiting on my Medical forms to be sent back from my doctors and then my next step will be to do the Pre ADSC!

Any further advice would be greatly appreciated.

I still need to find out more info on the pre ADSC,do you need to be able to do 40+ press ups in 2 mins?
at the Pre ADSC you wont have to do sit up and press upa its just the heaves, ammo box lift and jerry can cary or atleast thats what we did
B.A.R.B test - Passed 76
Basic Skills - Passed
Written medical - Passed
Pre ADSC - Passed
3rd Interview - Passed
ADSC - 5th July
Regiment - RIFLES/R IRISH
Best Run Time - 9:22
Dragonskin

Post by Dragonskin »

When I went to ATR Bassingbourn from Peterborough we started off in a room been told what would happen throughout the day and then been shown an armoured vehicle with various stats which we had to memorise.

Before that we did a practice grenade throw for about 15 minutes because we were early (throw baseball style not over-arm like in the movies....).

After the intro etc we were led to the jerry cans which was kinda hard near the end but fun otherwise. Then we filed in and went for an 800 metre warm up jog/march/side jumps then we were lined up and we did the 1.5 miles which was god aweful since I hadn't drank since 8:00 and it was now about 11/12:00.

Then we went to do heaves before which we got to have a drink of water (blissfull!) Your lined up and called up to do your heaves followed by some rather undignified stretches. You then go do your Icebreaker which is nerveracking if you haven't practiced enough (me...)

You then go to lunch and then you go off to do team activities which is intresting to say the least and then you head back to the room you started in and you have to fill in a sheet about the armoured vehicle you saw at the beginning.

After this its 'hometime' and you are given a de-briefing on the coach by the head AFCO officer (the guy who took you there). When you get out he says goodbye and your on your merry basically.
Dragonskin

Post by Dragonskin »

Sorry about the double post but I didn't want to write in it one long ass post but here are my top 10 hints and tips for your pre-ADSC:

1. Show respect and call all the Army staff staff or sir/ma'am.

2. Don't be cocky ffs or you'll end up regretting it.

3. Don't walk at ANY point during the 1.5 mile run/jog but feel free to slow it down if your flagging.

4. Bring a water bottle with you if you can and drink when in the room. If the staff ask you to put it away do it for christ sake and don't pull it back out.

5. While you do have the water out though, if someone asks for some don't be an asshole and share.

6. Don't laugh at anyone if they mess up or something, everyone is different and can't do everything you can.

7. Talk to people if possible and be friendly. Be a good team mate ffs.

8. Speak up during team activities.

9 and 10. Try you f'ing best and have fun!
benthorne

Post by benthorne »

Thanks Dragonskin, great advice :) will get working on my ice breaker!!
Mitchell1993

Post by Mitchell1993 »

i got my pre-ADSC on the 26th june my run time is only 11 : 44 so far but any way do you get told if you pass the pre ADSC or do you have to wait...???
steve_14

Post by steve_14 »

Mitchell1993 wrote:i got my pre-ADSC on the 26th june my run time is only 11 : 44 so far but any way do you get told if you pass the pre ADSC or do you have to wait...???

No you dont get told straight after you finish it, the results get sent to your AFCO and then he should let you no how you did as obviously you need to pass it to go to ADSC
B.A.R.B test - Passed 76
Basic Skills - Passed
Written medical - Passed
Pre ADSC - Passed
3rd Interview - Passed
ADSC - 5th July
Regiment - RIFLES/R IRISH
Best Run Time - 9:22