Share This Page:

wanting to join

General discussions on joining & training in the British Army.
Naylor

wanting to join

Post by Naylor »

Ok hear goes

im 24 male and at the mo i weight in at 17stone and my hight is 5"10 ive lost over 4stone this year. im very active i box 4 nights aweek and go running most days at work witch is how ive lost the weight ive always wanted to join the army i join when i left school (when i was at the right weight) but my appendix burst so i couldnt join for a year that what i was told and then i never got round to it again

i have a family now and i want a career not a dead end job now so ive been thinking and talkin with the missus about joining again. Ive been told that people can join with a bmi of 32 BUT only if you pass a body fat level,

my question is , what is the % of bodyfat you are allowed?

thanks
Billboard

Post by Billboard »

20% MAXIMUM
Naylor

Post by Naylor »

thanks mate
Naylor

Post by Naylor »

ive got my weight down now to 16stone now just need to lose about 2lbs to get my bmi to 32 and my body fat is down to 18% already

ive been working on my press ups and sit ups and am i right in thinking its 50 press ups in 2 mins and then 50 sit ups in 2 mins OR 50 press ups and 50 sit ups in 2minutes???

and ive been running every night and ive marked 1.5 miles from my house and im running it in 11 minutes 30 sec witch is under the 12 minutes so that should be good enough right???

and 1 more thing i want to join the Royal Engineers my upper body strength is good but im not the best at pull ups for some reason is there a set amount you have to do ????

thanks
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

If I were you I'd consider the first hurdle to be your wife.
Have you spoken to her about what amounts to a huge change in direction?
I'm not trying to rain on your parade but we have had settled family men wanting to join before and their partner has been a little snippy about it.
Take her out for a quiet,romantic,candlelit meal.
Be attentive and loving(By which time she will know something is up)Then, between the main course and dessert gently bring up the subject,making sure you are not in range of any wine bottles that may be used as a weapon. :D
Let us know how you get on :wink:
Naylor

Post by Naylor »

ive spoken to the wife to be before i posted anything up and she is with me 100% coz she knows this is what i want to do and ive made sure she wasnt just saying that time and time again lol coz we all know what they r like for changing there minds lol
zippy88

Post by zippy88 »

ive been working on my press ups and sit ups and am i right in thinking its 50 press ups in 2 mins and then 50 sit ups in 2 mins OR 50 press ups and 50 sit ups in 2minutes???

I think its 44 in 2 minutes

and ive been running every night and ive marked 1.5 miles from my house and im running it in 11 minutes 30 sec witch is under the 12 minutes so that should be good enough right???

I've heard 10 minutes 30 seconds is what you need, but dont quote me on that mate

and 1 more thing i want to join the Royal Engineers my upper body strength is good but im not the best at pull ups for some reason is there a set amount you have to do ????

Im joining the Royal Engineers, at pre selection to pass on pull ups you need to do at least 3/4.

Good luck though in your application process mate.
Application - 12th October 2009
B.A.R.B test - 75
Pre Selection - Passed
1st Interview - passed
2nd Interview - passed
ADSC - passed
waynepe

Post by waynepe »

zippy88 wrote:ive been working on my press ups and sit ups and am i right in thinking its 50 press ups in 2 mins and then 50 sit ups in 2 mins OR 50 press ups and 50 sit ups in 2minutes???

I think its 44 in 2 minutes
You do 44 press ups in a 2 min time span. you then get another 2 mins to do 50 sit ups.
zippy88 wrote: and ive been running every night and ive marked 1.5 miles from my house and im running it in 11 minutes 30 sec witch is under the 12 minutes so that should be good enough right???

I've heard 10 minutes 30 seconds is what you need, but dont quote me on that mate
Different careers have different requirements, as its a best effort there is no good enough ever. My recruiting officer said he wont take anyone who cant beat 11 mins as that's easy to do.
zippy88 wrote:

Im joining the Royal Engineers, at pre selection to pass on pull ups you need to do at least 3/4.

Pull ups are also best effort. However on the paperwork my recruiting officer gave me it said minimum of 5 pull ups and preferably 10+.

These are the bare minimums you should be hitting before even thinking of doing selection. If you just hit the minimum and try to struggle through you will do just that, struggle. the more effort you put in now the easier it will be in basic.
application form : done
BARB test : passed 82
Medical : Broke my wrist so 12 months wait before reapply.
Naylor

Post by Naylor »

thanks for the info people , ive been working hard and went up to have a word as i had my bmi at 32 and body fat % under 19 ,but they told me i need to get down 2 bmi of 28 even tho i was told i could join with my bmi as 32,, which means 2more stone to lose

But i got the paper work to fill in and ive got my b.a.r.b test on the 29th jan and they set me targets so on the 29th jan ive got to be 93kilo and he will give me the other half of the paperwork to fill in

so far so good im on target
MSI64

Post by MSI64 »

zippy88 wrote:ive been working on my press ups and sit ups and am i right in thinking its 50 press ups in 2 mins and then 50 sit ups in 2 mins OR 50 press ups and 50 sit ups in 2minutes???

I think its 44 in 2 minutes WRONG ITS AS MANY AS YOU CAN DO IN 2 MINUTES 44 IS MINIMUM

I've heard 10 minutes 30 seconds is what you need, but dont quote me on that mate WRONG AGAIN 12 MINUTES FOR RE

Im joining the Royal Engineers, at pre selection to pass on pull ups you need to do at least 3/4. WRONG AGAIN THERE IS NO MINIMUM STANDARD FOR PULL UPS ITS TO SEE HOW MUCH EFFORT YOU PUT IN

Please if you dont know then dont give out info!!!!
Courage which goes against military expediency is stupidity, or, if it is insisted upon by a commander, irresponsibility."

"So long as one isn't carrying one's head under one's arm, things aren't too bad."

Erwin Rommel (Desert Fox)
Naylor

Post by Naylor »

so as long as i can do more than 44 press up and sit ups in 2mins and run the 1.5mile in under 12mins i should do alright

ive got my run down to 10 mins 53 secs now so i know i can do the run and i can do the press ups and sit ups just need lose the last 2stone so if any1 has any tips that can help that would be great im already doing long runs and boxing 3 times aweek and eatting healthy thinking of startin swimming at the weekends

ive lost 6stone so far so i should blists the last 2stone lol
nel

Post by nel »

Mate try circuit training, if you have a local liesure centre they may do it as a class. I do it and its a beast the bloke smashes us in the circuit for example this week we did spiderman press-ups(60 seconds for all), burpees, lunges w/ twist, power squats, squat raises, striders, tri-cep dips, jackknifes, plank, shoulder press, bicep curl.

That was one and the next was the same minus two exercises however in between each exercise for the second circuit we did a cardio exercise in between so for e.g. tri-cep dips for 60 seconds then jumping jacks to get the heart rate up, then the plank and then straight after burpees. It's working for me.

Also I swim 4/5 days a week, I always swim for the full hour non stop but obviously take a rest if necessary just make sure you use the full hour. I do 2 lengths breaststroke 1 front crawl c@#t I reach 20 lengths, then I do 10 breast stroke and then 10 with front crawl legs and breaststroke arms, then 10 breaststroke, then 5 breaststroke legs with backstroke arms, then I do 5 normal backstroke and to finish off I just do breaststroke until the time is up.

Above all just take your time so you don't injure yourself and just have fun with it, it may take a while for you to get in so make sure you rest in order to develop.

Good luck mate.
Naylor

Post by Naylor »

cheers mate i do circuits at boxing but im going to find out at the gym for any extra class's
Naylor

Post by Naylor »

just to let you know i past my barb test on friday and got my weight down to the target they set me so i could have my medical paper work so going the doctors this week, so im a step closer now

Cant wait to hand it back in and go for my 2day selection

picked my 3 jobs they are 1.Armoured Engineer 2.Tank Crewman (Reconnaissance) 3.Army air Corps Soldier
Naylor

Re: wanting to join

Post by Naylor »

Just to let every1 know i lost the weight i needed to lose and i got for phase 1 training on the 14th Nov and im joining the QRL cant wait :D
B.A.R.B test - Passed
Written Medical - Passed
Pre ADSC - Passed
3rd Interview - Passed
ADSC - Passed
Regiment - QRL
Start Date - 14th November