Share This Page:

Phase 1 ATR Pirbright 15/6 - 18/9

General discussions on joining & training in the British Army.
tom163

Post by tom163 »

Great new mate, top job! I love the pictures but was wondering what cap badge is being worn by you (??) and the other lad facing the front? the 5th pic.

Cheers
Tom
CardSharpe

Post by CardSharpe »

tom163 wrote:Great new mate, top job! I love the pictures but was wondering what cap badge is being worn by you (??) and the other lad facing the front? the 5th pic.

Cheers
Tom
That's the cap badge you're given when you first start - I'm pretty sure its the coat or arms of the royal family, but I could be mistaken. You wear that cap badge up until week 7(depending on your troop staff), at which point you earn the right to wear the cap badge of the corps you're joining :)

That picture is actually taken about 5 seconds before I put my Royal Signal's beret on, it was on the parade during families day where you get told you can wear the new one. I think it varies between troops though as to when that parade actually happens.
BARB Test: Passed[79]
Medical: Passed[Finally!]
Interview: Passed
ADSC: Passed[B Grade]
Depot: 15th June 09
Pass out: 18th Sept 09
Phase 2: 28th Sept 09
HRH

Post by HRH »

Thanks for the info

So when you are on basic how often and far do you run? Every day?

ps Zoe - yea I'm still here for 4 more wks before travelling xx
BARB - 78
ADSC - Passed
Job - Combat Medic
ATR Pirbright - 15.03.10
CardSharpe

Post by CardSharpe »

HRH wrote:So when you are on basic how often and far do you run? Every day?
We started off running around 3 miles over more or less flat ground, then we did 4 over hills, and began increasing the distances slowly from there. I think the furthest we ever ran was 7 or 8 miles, but its hard to tell because often we'd run a circuit of say 6 miles, then do several sets of hill reps that would add on a fair bit of distance.

To be honest I was quiet suprised how little did endurance runs - I'd expected every day, but really it was around two scheduled PT runs a week most of the time.

That said, we'd normally have PT either every day or 4 times a week, and on the sessions where we weren't scheduled to run, we'd almost always get a good mile or two(atleast) as a warm up before we started whatever it was we were supposed to be doing (upper body, sports, etc).

Also, when not in PT you'd often be doing things that involved a fair amount of running, either as beastings (ahem, I mean "negative re-enforcement" :D) or as part of the activity - fire and manueover, casevacs, range days and really almost anything we were doing outside of the classroom could easily involve running.
BARB Test: Passed[79]
Medical: Passed[Finally!]
Interview: Passed
ADSC: Passed[B Grade]
Depot: 15th June 09
Pass out: 18th Sept 09
Phase 2: 28th Sept 09
tom163

Post by tom163 »

CardSharpe wrote:
tom163 wrote:Great new mate, top job! I love the pictures but was wondering what cap badge is being worn by you (??) and the other lad facing the front? the 5th pic.

Cheers
Tom
That's the cap badge you're given when you first start - I'm pretty sure its the coat or arms of the royal family, but I could be mistaken. You wear that cap badge up until week 7(depending on your troop staff), at which point you earn the right to wear the cap badge of the corps you're joining :)

That picture is actually taken about 5 seconds before I put my Royal Signal's beret on, it was on the parade during families day where you get told you can wear the new one. I think it varies between troops though as to when that parade actually happens.
Thanks for that mate, I have always been wondering were that cap badge came from :).