Share This Page:

Females Joining up.

General discussions on joining & training in the British Army.
kelly696

Females Joining up.

Post by kelly696 »

Hiya everyone, Im thinking about joining up but I have a few questions first, well Im 28 (I know im old lol) and female. I want to join the RLC as a driver (I know that will depend on my BARB test which im taking next week) my questions are:

Do females have the same fitness entry tests as males?
I can do everything else they will expect me to do but pull ups, I am trying to do them but I just cant.

I have had cancer will I fail my medical?
The cancer was a year ago and was compleatly removed, I did not need chemo.

thanks for helping xx[/b]
HRH

Post by HRH »

Hey
They'll go through everything with you at the carreers office anyway

But no the entry requirements are not the same, the 1.5 miles has to be done only within 14 minutes so we get a leeway on that
(Not that you should aim for 14 minues of course)

Also you don't have to do heaves to pass ADSC not many girls can, I didn't, but it IS possible so keep trying!

Far as I know the basic training is the same as mens.

Don't worry about your age I am 24 and a friend of mine was 32 when she passed ADSC.

Good luck
BARB - 78
ADSC - Passed
Job - Combat Medic
ATR Pirbright - 15.03.10
kelly696

Post by kelly696 »

Thank you, I went for a run tonight and I managed a mile in 10 mins lol so I still have a lot of training to do but there was hale stone and thundering and lightning lol. I think the thing to do is to hit the gym first and try and boost my fitness that way. I also have 3 kids, and my husband has been in the army for the past 16 years.
MSI64

Post by MSI64 »

I have a feeling that having cancer in your medical history will be a complete BAR on joining up!
But check with your AFCO/ACIO
sky ninja steve

Post by sky ninja steve »

he he 14 min wot a joke
"Many are called but few are chosen, keep your webbing tight, your weapon clean and work hard. When times are tough be proud of who you are, trust in those above you and stay loyal to those around you"
gpw2009

Post by gpw2009 »

sky ninja steve wrote:he he 14 min wot a joke
Could walk round in that.....?? :wink:
"Si vis pacem, para bellum"
("If you want peace, prepare for war!")

ADSC: Passed 07/07/09
Depot PARA: 18/10/09
sky ninja steve

Post by sky ninja steve »

could do it backwards with a 45 pound bergan on in that
"Many are called but few are chosen, keep your webbing tight, your weapon clean and work hard. When times are tough be proud of who you are, trust in those above you and stay loyal to those around you"
Hyperlithe

Post by Hyperlithe »

Go on then, I for one would love to see you try...

If you have nothing interesting or intelligent to say, then please don't bother.
You can have peace.
Or you can have freedom.
Don't ever count on having both at once.
The life that I have
Is all that I have
And the life that I have
Is yours
bored_stupid

Post by bored_stupid »

Hyperlithe, I think they're poking fun at the 14min run time rather than at girls joining up. As you're a serving female I'd have thought you'd have agreed that's a poor fitness level to set for entrants simply because they're women?
Hyperlithe

Post by Hyperlithe »

Actually no I wouldn't.
Women are built physically differently from men, they shouldn't be expected to be able to do the mile and a half in the same time.
I would have thought that the fitness requirements would be the same across the three services, and am somewhat surprised that it's harder for women joining the RAF than the Army though.

The Army obviously has some reason for saying 14 mins, and disparaging comments from silly boys does no good for the morale of any female training to achieve it. As you say, it's an entry level, they'll be running it faster by the time they've finished their training, having had several supervised PT sessions a week.

I would still like to see someone try and walk a mile and a half backwards with a bergen on in 14 mins...
You can have peace.
Or you can have freedom.
Don't ever count on having both at once.
The life that I have
Is all that I have
And the life that I have
Is yours
MSI64

Post by MSI64 »

14 minutes is a long time for a 1.5 mile, but please remember that all times from Infantry down is a benchmark for MINIMUM standard.
Im 39 been in 16 years and still run under 10 minutes. you should be looking at your best effort, Having served two years at an ATR as an Instructor some of my girls could run the guys into the ground.
SandyTheGuvnor

Post by SandyTheGuvnor »

Hyperlithe wrote:Actually no I wouldn't.
Women are built physically differently from men, they shouldn't be expected to be able to do the mile and a half in the same time.
I would have thought that the fitness requirements would be the same across the three services, and am somewhat surprised that it's harder for women joining the RAF than the Army though.

The Army obviously has some reason for saying 14 mins, and disparaging comments from silly boys does no good for the morale of any female training to achieve it. As you say, it's an entry level, they'll be running it faster by the time they've finished their training, having had several supervised PT sessions a week.

I would still like to see someone try and walk a mile and a half backwards with a bergen on in 14 mins...

I believe if a man and woman are doing exactly the same job say clerk or chef getting paid the same then the fitness requirements should be exactly the same.

and for the mile and a half backwards in 14 mins is maybe pushing it but i believe i could do CFT backwards in the alloted time
Things you feel like doing after being hit in the liver :
-Vomitting
-Suffocating
-Shitting yourself
-Passing out
-Crying for your mummy
-Stop taking part in any kind of violent sport.......
kelly696

Post by kelly696 »

I can do 300-400 sit ups in 8 mins have been doing it every night for years , but its the running I have a problem with, I run like Phoebe off friends lol. I done 1.5 mile in 12 mins last night, been training every day since my last post. Im getting their, aiming for 9 mins now.
Zoe

Post by Zoe »

gpw2009 wrote:
Haha!! ok its no hard to see there is a BIG difference in fitness levels, however its definately not impossible for us girls to humiliate a few boys in a 1.5mile run.

Shame on you guys who see the back of a girl in a run!!

:D :D :D
SandyTheGuvnor

Post by SandyTheGuvnor »

Zoe wrote:
gpw2009 wrote:
Haha!! ok its no hard to see there is a BIG difference in fitness levels, however its definately not impossible for us girls to humiliate a few boys in a 1.5mile run.

Shame on you guys who see the back of a girl in a run!!

:D :D :D

The only time i have seen the back of a girl on a BFT/BPFA/PFT was when it was on a running track and it was when i was lapping her :P
Things you feel like doing after being hit in the liver :
-Vomitting
-Suffocating
-Shitting yourself
-Passing out
-Crying for your mummy
-Stop taking part in any kind of violent sport.......