Share This Page:

Females Joining up.

General discussions on joining & training in the British Army.
Soldier_Girl

Post by Soldier_Girl »

Zoe wrote:
HRH wrote:WHAT! feb! You jammy dodger

Ah that's wicked that u got a date 8)

Yeh i dont no how that happend... cant wait, really tryin to crack on with fittness got just over 3months ahhh fokin hell!!!

are you going to pirbright for your basic i cant remember????

and .... (cough).. 30 8)
30 press ups! Awesome, well done! I am well and truly impressed :D
"All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word:
freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope." - Winston Churchill
Zoe

Post by Zoe »

Ohh stop it.... :oops:

ha, thanks, well its taken me long enough. wont be happy till i get to 100... yeh right!!

OOoh Duurr!! i see you at basic then hels, hopfully i wont be the one on crutches :lol:
Enchante

Post by Enchante »

Heylo,
I'm hoping to join the army as an ODP (operating department practicioner) Or student nurse as my first two choices, health care assistant third. I'm 20 btw.

I was actually at university a few months ago but didn't like the university I was at, I figured this after 2 years of being there. (yeah I know) But yeah I was doing student nurse training at uni. So that's why all my options are medical because I like it.:p:

But my family and stuff are ok about it. Not sure my boyfriend is though but he's warming up to it.

But yeah, have my BARB next tuesday which i'm confident and nervous at the same time about. But i'm doing fine on my practice stuff.

Oh yeah I have a question is the 1.5 miles for females 12 or 13 minutes I've forgotten.
Soldier_Girl

Post by Soldier_Girl »

Enchante wrote:Heylo,
I'm hoping to join the army as an ODP (operating department practicioner) Or student nurse as my first two choices, health care assistant third. I'm 20 btw.

I was actually at university a few months ago but didn't like the university I was at, I figured this after 2 years of being there. (yeah I know) But yeah I was doing student nurse training at uni. So that's why all my options are medical because I like it.:p:

But my family and stuff are ok about it. Not sure my boyfriend is though but he's warming up to it.

But yeah, have my BARB next tuesday which i'm confident and nervous at the same time about. But i'm doing fine on my practice stuff.

Oh yeah I have a question is the 1.5 miles for females 12 or 13 minutes I've forgotten.
Hi and welcome to the forum! :D It's good to have you here!

Good luck with your BARB! Nerves are good, as long as you don't let them take over!

I think, if memory serves, the 1.5 mile run is the same for both male and female, and should be done in under 14 minutes. Obviously, aim for a much faster time .... something along the lines of 10 - 11 minutes.
I'm aiming for 9 - 10 ... but have a jammy knee at the minute, so training is sooooooo slow :(

SG
Enchante

Post by Enchante »

Thanks I have been practicing my BARB online and stuff so all should go well.:p:
It's a shame it's at 10am though, i'd have prefered afternoon but least it is out of the way in the morning.

Yeah the run i'm dreading even though I haven't got that far yet! I am improving though, seeing as I haven't really properly run in ages since my cross country days in high school hehe. I have no idea what i'm aiming for really I mean my first 1.5 was 14 minutes thats now down to 12 so hopefully, I could take another 2 off that.:)
B.A.R.B- Passed.
Medical Questionnaire- Done
Pre ADSC 19th Jan. - Done/Passed
1st Interview- 2nd Feb.- Passed
2nd Interview- 8th Feb- Passed
ADSC Pirbright- 6/7th May Defered 4 months.. =(- September.
waynepe

Post by waynepe »

where do you practice your BARB online?
application form : done
BARB test : passed 82
Medical : Broke my wrist so 12 months wait before reapply.
Enchante

Post by Enchante »

B.A.R.B- Passed.
Soldier_Girl

Post by Soldier_Girl »

Enchante

Post by Enchante »

Does anyone know what sort of Barb score you have to gain for it to be goooood and stuff. Not that i'm struggling it just occured to me the other day like :o what if I do bad.
B.A.R.B- Passed.
waynepe

Post by waynepe »

Depends what job you want. if you get 60 it opens pretty much all non GCSE jobs, as long as you get above 25 ( I think thats what my RO said) you can get at least 1 job on the sheet of jobs to choose from.
application form : done
BARB test : passed 82
Medical : Broke my wrist so 12 months wait before reapply.
Enchante

Post by Enchante »

Passed if with flying colours woo! :p:
Now onto the medical questionnaire...
B.A.R.B- Passed.
Zoe

Post by Zoe »

Have any Girlys got start date for basic???? :D
Sarastro

Post by Sarastro »

confused_bolton_boy wrote:Yes, I agree. I wouldn't at all have a problem with women joining the infantry if they met the following standards:

1. Just as strong, fit, tough and fast as a man. Which some women are definitely capable of.

2. Capable of using a multitude of weapons. To complete the same physical, mental and battle training as a man basically.

3. Must have no period (already explained reasons why) and unable to have children. Women can only lose their period if they're either very under weight or very over weight, middle aged (menapause), or pregnant. All of which is a ban from the Army.
What a massive load of toss.

Looking at your posts, I'm not entirely sure why you feel qualified to blather this kind of rubbish, since as far as I can tell you have never even been in the field, on ops, or even on exercise yourself, let alone had any particular insight into women doing an infantry role. Since I've done all of those things, and spent a year going on exercise as part of a company with the only female platoon in the Army that does infantry training, here are some corrections.
The pill doesn't stop a period. But the injection usually stops women from having them.
They both have side affects though. Some of which are common like weight gain, headaches, heavy/prolonged periods and nausia. Others are more serious like deep vain thrombosis, heart attack and stroke. Although they are rare they still pose a risk to some. Then again, some women on contraceptives have no problems at all. But is it too much of a gamble to have those potential problems in an infantry woman?
Wrong. There are various pharmaceuticals which can stop the period, including some versions of the basic pill. You also find that most women going through strenuous training lose their period. And surprisingly, like most drugs, such as the Malaria tablets which are issued to everyone going on current ops, you can judge side-effects by prescribing them prior to deployment and adjusting the type of drug if the patient has an adverse reaction. All before they go and become a 'risk' to you - or not, since you aren't actually serving.
And what if a woman was on a month long op in a challenging environment such as a desert or a jungle where it's dirty, hot and has lots of beasties that want to suck your blood and eat you while she has her period? Her vagina would be filthy and eventually become infected (because she can't wash) which would make her a casualty, right?
Number of blokes I've seen get pulled off exercise / medevaced due to genital infection...3. Number of women I've seen get pulled off due to genital infection...0. Not particularly scientific, but has the benefit of actually being fact rather than ill-informed speculation.
It costs around £35,000 to train an infantry soldier, right? And doesn't it take longer to train one? Now, if a woman got pregnant she would have to have nine months off, plus more time spent looking after the baby in it's early life. Wouldn't all that time off mean she would have to re-do her training? Which would cost more money? If she decides to quit the army after having her child it'd be a massive waste.
Let me introduce you to some concepts. One, birth control. Try it, you might find it alleviates your clearly deep-seated issues about STDs too. Two, free will. Plenty of male infantry soldiers leave the military after a few years, yet somehow we still keep recruiting men. The Army isn't a lock-in job for life anymore.
confused_bolton_boy wrote:Yeah, women are allowed to join the SAS but I don't think any have completed training. It's weird that they can join SAS and not regular infantry. Maybe it's because SAS do more specialized missions? Like sabotage, hostage rescue, kidnap ect. :-? But even so, the SAS still require very high physical standards. Maybe women are able to blend in more effectively into enemy territory rather than men?
Wrong. Since your knowledge of the military seems to be mostly based on the plot of Ultimate Farce, why don't you stop offering your opinion as if it means anything.

In future, I'd suggest that before you start spouting about the military and being in the field, you try at least spending a night in the garden with mud on your face and a water pistol. Until then, instead of talking shite on here about women who have actually taken the first step to enlisting, kindly shut up and do one.
Fusilier

Post by Fusilier »

Must admit I read something about Russian woman making excellent snipers in the WW2. And they were a real force in the Nam.

Still not sure if many could have fixed baronets and carried the weight of the Para’s/Marines and others in the Falklands.

Hats off to all the woman and the service they are doing in the modern Army/Navy/Air force.
[url=http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb163/SCD4/806d_7.jpg][img]http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb163/SCD4/th_806d_7.jpg[/img][/url]

"The Regiment has served in every major campaign dating back to 1674."

3 RRF
Anti-Tanks: MILAN
Army Colours for Judo.
bored_stupid

Post by bored_stupid »

Fusilier wrote:Must admit I read something about Russian woman making excellent snipers in the WW2. And they were a real force in the Nam.

Still not sure if many could have fixed baronets and carried the weight of the Para’s/Marines and others in the Falklands.
I think your first point proves that womens drills can be spot on, I'd never suggest women are not capable of being good soldiers but I just don't think they'd make good Infantry soldiers mainly for the reason in your second point.

The Russian and VC snipers didn't carry a lot of kit besides their rifle which is why being women wouldn't have been a hindrance. But while there's lots of women who are strong and lots of women who have great endurance the numbers of women who have both attributes in sufficient quantity to make it as an Infantry soldier would be minimal.

I generally support womens rights to do any job but you can't ignore basic biology and that does put women at a significant disadvantage to men in these sort of situations.

There's tons of men who don't make the grade, my own knees ended up giving out during my various attempts to join up due to carrying weight and womens skeletons are lighter and less dense than a males skeleton so they'd be even more likely so suffer.