Share This Page:

Intel/HCav? transferring roles?!

General discussions on joining & training in the British Army.
whichmcqueen

Intel/HCav? transferring roles?!

Post by whichmcqueen »

Hi, i just took my BARB test, and scored 85, which i was told was rather good, and recommended for Military Intelligence Operator, which does sound rather interesting.
but the thing is, i really want to join the Houshold Cavalry, its something i really want to do.
is it possible to apply for the Intel Corps, gain some qualifications, make use of my skills and abilities, finish training- and after a certain time period transfer postings to the Houshold Cavalry?
is that possible?
i relish the idea of the HCav, but i want to get some qualifications whilst in the army which will place me in good standing for later in life, and i wasnt sure i could gain all that much from joining HCav.
can anyone prove me wrong? tell me what i could achieve if i join HCav?
or can i join as Intel, and switch Corps or get Posted with them?
im also interested in Combat Medical Technician, if that gives me more options with the HCav.
any help?
Dixie66

Post by Dixie66 »

I wouldn't go in with the idea of getting a transfer, i was told it happens but is not something that's always likely to happen. Best thing to do is decide on your three choices which it looks like you have a good idea already and then go for selection. If you prove yourself at selection you will be offered all your jobs then you can make a decision. Op Military Intelligence involves a second selection which i'm not thinking about until i have gone through ADSC, if i pass then it will be the next step for me.

And congratulations on your BARB, very good score... way better than mine!! :D
Application - Done
BARB - 68 Passed
Basic Skills Test - Passed
Medical Forms - Cleared (eventually!)
ADSC Passed- 25/08/09
INT Corps Selection - Feb 2010
Chosen Jobs- #1 Operator Military Intelligence (Int Corps) / #2 Royal Corps of Signals
HCR

Post by HCR »

Im in the HCav mate and as for qualifications for later life, unless there is a shortage off Recce Commanders, PTIs, BOWMAN Operators, Support Troopers, Javelin Operators etc etcin Civi Street then just like most of the Teeth Arm side of life then dont goin to looking for a trade just so you can leave to get a Civi job. But with the HCav you do have the Horsie side. Which I dont know much about. But you can get your Farrier or Saddler qualification with them. Which Farrier especially is very well paid. But the Armed side of life the HCav does not offer anymore than anyother Cav Reg, Infantry Reg etc etc.

But we are a good Regiment who always have at least one Squadron away. We have a good History and are good at what we do. Which is a good role on the Battle field. You get very close tothe Enemy. Closer than most. And this year we have B Sqn doing the BRF in Helmend which I wish I was doing. So if you dont want to see much of Blighty and spend the rest of your live in Afghanistan then come and join us mate. Just in time for D Sqn to go away again with 16 AA next year I think. You wont get in in time for this years deployment by A,B,C,HQ Sqn
For it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' 'Chuck him out, the brute!'
But it's 'Saviour of 'is country' when the guns begin to shoot; (Rudyard Kipling)