Share this page:

Post Traumatic Stress Disorder

General discussions on joining & training in the British Army.
creative123

Post Traumatic Stress Disorder

#1 Post by creative123 »

Hi

A few years back I had Post Traumatic Stress Disorder following an assault, I have since been medically cleared, would this affect my application?

Thanks

Advertise your company or services here and contact us today!

ofens
Celebrity Member
Celebrity Member

#2 Post by ofens »

Sorry to hear you have suffered from PTSD.
I would be interested to know about how you dealt with it, as by your post it sounds as though you have been successful in treating it.
I have a close relative who suffers very badly from PTSD.

As regards your application, the AFCO is the best place to get an answer, so give them a call.
If you have been "medically cleared" then that would suggest you should be OK, however from my understanding PTSD does not just go away and is a recurring mental illness.

Best of luck, and let us know how you get on.

Regards,
ofens
[i]Hangover is temporary, drinking lasts forever![/i]
[b]IT WILL COME[/b]

creative123

#3 Post by creative123 »

At first i was put on beta blockers to hurt with physical parts of PTSD such as aching heart, this helped calm this I was on 160mg of Propranolol Hydrochloride per day. This was until I had to have a lengthy process of waiting on the NHS waiting list for EMDR (Eye movement desensitization and reprocessing). Has your relative had this yet, if not I think you should suggest he asks his GP about this, as this has a very high success rate of PTSD, I had a 15 course treatment on this (however it can remove PTSD on as little as one session). Your GP can request him being fast tracked, but we all know with the NHS these days they may say that to everyone. What this essentially is is that you sit on a chair and talk about the events that led up to you getting PTSD, and they do something with your eyes and fire a laser into them (sounds sci-fi I know), but it removes a link kind of, so the events feel very cloudy, but i know they happened. I know this sounds a bit wierd but it has helped. Has your relative had any of this treatment? Can I ask what treatment he has recieved?

sterion66
Familiar Member
Familiar Member

#4 Post by sterion66 »

I was given anti depressants which gave you more strength to fight the mental issues. It didn't make you happy but it seemed to give you an urge not to give up. As for the PTSD side that i suffered, the symptoms became weaker but i never forgot. As a past sufferer, just having friends and family around...try and do some things you enjoy. Don't try and force them to talk offer a friendly ear. It's just a time thing i feel where the individual has to pick themselves up, let the past go to a certain extent and refocus. It took 7 years but i got through it. Best of luck fellas.

Mike

Tab

#5 Post by Tab »

If you have suffered from PTSD do you honestley think that a job in the Army is really the thing for you. What you are likely to go through in the Army will be many times worse than what you went through during that assault