Share This Page:

Bergen Weight.

General discussions on joining & training in the British Army.
adambatley

Bergen Weight.

Post by adambatley »

I'm going to start going for run's through a huge forest near where I live. I'm going to do it with boots and a bergen. Just wondering what weight I need to be putting in my bergen??

Am I right in thinking the Para's tab with 16 kilo's??
Application - Done.
BARB Test - Passed.
Basic Skills Test - Passed.
Written Medical - Cleared.
Interview - ??
ADSC - ??
Chris_1940

Post by Chris_1940 »

hi mate

if i was you i woudnt run with weight. Ive just come back from para selection and they said to us dont start running with weight. Its how shin splints start. It might be worth going for walks in boots to harden your feet up if you arent use to wereing boots.

Chris
adambatley

Post by adambatley »

Ok, thanks for the advice. Think I might start just start off running the forest trecks in my boots and see how I go. I already go running round the roads where i live in trainers but just want to get used to it and be as prepared as possibble.
Application - Done.
BARB Test - Passed.
Interview - ??
ADSC - ??
Chris_1940

Post by Chris_1940 »

I go running around roads but i try running on grass aswell, softer ground and its abit more difficult (not alot tho) good luck mate
Airborne Legend

Post by Airborne Legend »

DO NOT run with weight dude, there's no need, you'll do more harm than good. The phys in depot is progressive, the staff will have you ready for it by the time you put a bergan on.
There is no fear, there is only the force.

Do or do not, there is no try.
adambatley

Post by adambatley »

OK guys cheers for the advice. I wont do anything with weight I'll just do some runs over the forest terrain in my boots.
Application - Done.
BARB Test - Passed.
Interview - ??
ADSC - ??
kieran turner

Post by kieran turner »

Good advice from the lads as normal. I'd consider going on short runs on soft ground to break your boots in, try and get over varying terrain. Don't blast yourself in them just go at a nice staedy pace and do some speed marching in them.

I'd do far more running in GOOD trainers just to get the ol' cardio up, do some fartlek work as this will do you loads of good when you get to depot. Presumably from reading your previous posts you want to attempt P Coy at some point well IMO it is about leg strength, endurance and recovery time oh and a test of balls so fartlek training will help you with that.

As for running with bergens I'd wait until you get to depot mate.

Cheers Kieran