Share This Page:

Choices (Signals info?)

General discussions on joining & training in the British Army.
CardSharpe

Choices (Signals info?)

Post by CardSharpe »

Hi everyone.

I passed ADSC last week, originally my choices were the Parachute Regiment and the Royal Anglian Regiment. I was told that my run time qualified me for the Infantry but not the Parachute Regiment, however during selection I really did begin to question whether its the right choice for me.

I have a long IT background and everyone has tried to put me in the direction of the Royal Signals, I've been told I can do the 'highest' trade available to other ranks because of my BARB score and IT Qualifications and experience.

I'm just a little torn. The infantry has always appealed to me as "Real" soldiering, as opposed to a civi job where you get to do battle camp once or twice a year (No offense, tradesmen), I know its not as cut and dried as that, but I'm really just unsure whether the Signals will be a big enough step away from Civi street for me.

Even though the infantry really does seem to be everything I want, there are a few things that make me hesitate. Primarily being my running, which isn't superb, and would require me to do an SPC course before I start, also the idea that I might find it boring after a while does worry me, because I know that transfering from the infantry to elsewhere will be much harder than doing the opposite.

The Royal Signals offer appeals - the work sounds interesting if a little too close to IT work for me, the idea of good prospects is great, the whole going back to school bit for phase2 is a bit of a put off but not all that bad, its just the idea that if there's a scrap, I'm likely to be a long way away fiddling with a radio when it happens - not always a bad thing I know, and I know I'll be playing an important part, but again, I just worry that I wont really be doing much actual "soldiering".

I've read several job briefs about the different jobs, I've gone through alot of regimental websites and signal's community sites trying to find out what day to day life will be like, but I've really found very little that isn't very vague.

Could anyone with Signal's experience let me know what Day to Day life is like(after training), and how much of the rolling around in the mud you actually get to do?

(Edit: The trades I've been looking at are EWSO and Comms Sys Engineer)
Sorry for the long post and cheers in advance!
BARB Test: Passed[79]
Medical: Passed[Finally!]
Interview: Passed
ADSC: Passed[B Grade]
Depot: 15th June 09
Pass out: 18th Sept 09
Phase 2: 28th Sept 09
MSI64

Post by MSI64 »

You seem to have some wierd idea that only Infantry do "Real Soldiering" which firstly is insulting to say the least, secondly just because your not Infantry does not mean your sat in a secure location miles away from the fighting!!!

I think firstly you need to do a little more research on the roles of the Army!

OK Rant over

there are rumours that Comms Sys Ops will be intergrated into Infantry units to free up Real Soldiers! So in theory you could be a Rad op within an patrol at the sharp end, if thats what your looking for??

Electronic warfare is also sometimes a frontline with the Infantry job, and possible working with THEM eventually, Jamming signals/listening to the enemy all this needs to be done forward. I know a couple of EWSO that have transfered to the Int Corp now.

Runtime for Infantry is 10.30 if your on SPC then your below that, so you didnt actually qualify you need more training.

I wish you all the luck with your choices mate but PLEASE get over your idea that there is Infantry and then there is everyone else.

Just to finish Comms Sy Op and EW have a very long waiting list to get in its about 8 months at the moment.
EagleEyes

Post by EagleEyes »

MSI64 wrote:You seem to have some wierd idea that only Infantry do "Real Soldiering" which firstly is insulting to say the least, secondly just because your not Infantry does not mean your sat in a secure location miles away from the fighting!!!
He's not the only one, I think most people have that opinion, me included and many of my friends have thats why all of my pals who have signed up have gone infantry, 'cos they wanted to be in the action.

I know that to some It might seem offensive and I don't mean it to be I know every job is as important as the other It's just like the other guy said to me only combat roles are "Real Soldiering"
gpw2009

Post by gpw2009 »

You could also go for 216 Signals (Think it is still that), which are attached to the Para's CardSharpe.

No matter what you do, I think at some point you will be in the s***! Don't think there is a 'safe' place in Afganistan mate! :o

My advice would be, if you have skills, don't waste them, give the Army the most you can! :D
"Si vis pacem, para bellum"
("If you want peace, prepare for war!")

ADSC: Passed 07/07/09
Depot PARA: 18/10/09
CardSharpe

Post by CardSharpe »

Cheers everyone for the replies.
MSI64 wrote:You seem to have some wierd idea that only Infantry do "Real Soldiering" which firstly is insulting to say the least, secondly just because your not Infantry does not mean your sat in a secure location miles away from the fighting!!!

I think firstly you need to do a little more research on the roles of the Army!

OK Rant over

there are rumours that Comms Sys Ops will be intergrated into Infantry units to free up Real Soldiers! So in theory you could be a Rad op within an patrol at the sharp end, if thats what your looking for??

Electronic warfare is also sometimes a frontline with the Infantry job, and possible working with THEM eventually, Jamming signals/listening to the enemy all this needs to be done forward. I know a couple of EWSO that have transfered to the Int Corp now.

Runtime for Infantry is 10.30 if your on SPC then your below that, so you didnt actually qualify you need more training.

I wish you all the luck with your choices mate but PLEASE get over your idea that there is Infantry and then there is everyone else.

Just to finish Comms Sy Op and EW have a very long waiting list to get in its about 8 months at the moment.
Noted - I'll do my best to change my point of view, just as long as I can find some sources that support the change.

I've done rather alot of research, but the problem is the sources I can access are limited to people who were in the Army a long while ago or MOD & other websites which are generally pretty vague.

For any question I ask there are usually a hundred different answers, and when I ask about what the day to day life for someone in the Royal Signals would be like, I get told that its about maintaining equipment and training to use it - sorry if this sounds suspiciously like a Civi street job, but there we go.

I did say that I know its not as cut and dried as that. I've tried to state the general picture I've been given without being insulting, but at the end of the day its the way it seems to me after talking to alot of different people and looking at alot of different sources.

I did mention my fitness was a concern, and about the SPC course, so its not like I'm saying I'm gods gift to the army or anything, I just want to get a clear and bullsh*te free view of what I'll be doing if I commit my life to this trade. So sorry if I come over wrong.

Cheers for the advice - any idea how much of every day life at battalion would be equipment maintenance? and how much would be actual soldiering?
Hands on

Post by Hands on »

For any question I ask there are usually a hundred different answers, and when I ask about what the day to day life for someone in the Royal Signals would be like, I get told that its about maintaining equipment and training to use it - sorry if this sounds suspiciously like a Civi street job, but there we go.

Just remember you will have to use and maintain that equipment while In the field and under pressure, like when the rounds are coming In.
Communication Is a very important part of the Army and you can find yourself right In the thick of It also you have the chance of being attached to all sorts of units.

Not sure who you have been talking to but (and I don't like saying this) just remember soldier first, everyone has to pitch In when the shit hits the fan now days, and I expect It's been like that In every conflict In the past 100 years or more.
CardSharpe

Post by CardSharpe »

Hands on wrote:Just remember you will have to use and maintain that equipment while In the field and under pressure, like when the rounds are coming In.
Communication Is a very important part of the Army and you can find yourself right In the thick of It also you have the chance of being attached to all sorts of units.

Not sure who you have been talking to but (and I don't like saying this) just remember soldier first, everyone has to pitch In when the shit hits the fan now days, and I expect It's been like that In every conflict In the past 100 years or more.
Just as long as that's the way it is, I'm always a little concerned and suspicious that I'm going to be locked in some storecupboard with a radio for the entirety of a tour.

I know I'll be wishing for the cupboard as soon as the rounds start coming down around my ears, but I'd far prefer to be scared than bored :)
druadan

Post by druadan »

It is what you make of it. Google 216 Sigs or 18 Sigs for examples. Sure there are mundance jobs, it's the same in all trades, but that doesn't mean you have to get stuck in one.
CardSharpe

Post by CardSharpe »

One of the reasons I'm concerned could be best summed up by seeing things like this post:

http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/ ... hp?t=18426

I know that being a Civi, I really cant expect to know how things are at all, but from what I've heard I just have a couple of niggling doubts as to whether or not the Royal Signal's will be 'Green' enough. I'm pretty sure I would be proud to be a Signaller if I made the grade, I mean, my Dad was in the Royal Signal's and I have loads of respect for what he did, so I'm honestly really not meaning to be insulting when I ask these questions.

I'm leaning quite heavily towards the Royal Signals, but as I say, I'd really like to try to rid myself of these doubts before I sign on the dotted line, if at all possible.

I'll be talking to my AFCO on monday about it, hopefully to get these things cleared up, I'm just concerned that it might be recruitment talk rather than the truth.
Hands on

Post by Hands on »

Try here http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums.html there Is a signal section.
MSI64

Post by MSI64 »

CardSharpe wrote:One of the reasons I'm concerned could be best summed up by seeing things like this post:

http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/ ... hp?t=18426

I know that being a Civi, I really cant expect to know how things are at all, but from what I've heard I just have a couple of niggling doubts as to whether or not the Royal Signal's will be 'Green' enough. I'm pretty sure I would be proud to be a Signaller if I made the grade, I mean, my Dad was in the Royal Signal's and I have loads of respect for what he did, so I'm honestly really not meaning to be insulting when I ask these questions.

I'm leaning quite heavily towards the Royal Signals, but as I say, I'd really like to try to rid myself of these doubts before I sign on the dotted line, if at all possible.

I'll be talking to my AFCO on monday about it, hopefully to get these things cleared up, I'm just concerned that it might be recruitment talk rather than the truth.
If your trade isnt green enough for you, then in 12 months Go Para/Commando
_Mark_

Post by _Mark_ »

Why are there so many posts like this?

It's down to you to decide, yourself, based on what you want to get out of your time in the forces.
If you want a trade, get a trade, if you want to focus on combat get into a combat role, if you want both, do as ms164 said and try for Attached Arms once you have completed your trade training.

You will enjoy it more if you join a regiment based on your own ambitions as opposed to other peoples views.

Talk it over with people who know you well if you are unsure what you want at the moment.
richard2009

Post by richard2009 »

Surley if your Dad was in the Royal Signals why dont you just ask him what day to day life was like and what he got out of the role? Think that would save alot of peoples time including your own?
CardSharpe

Post by CardSharpe »

richard2009 wrote:Surley if your Dad was in the Royal Signals why dont you just ask him what day to day life was like and what he got out of the role? Think that would save alot of peoples time including your own?
Believe it not, I have asked him - however he's not been able to give me the sorts of information I'm looking for, hence this thread.

I've researched on the 'net, I've spoken to career's people, and I've also spoken to anyone I can get to who has been in the Royal Signals or elsewhere in the Army, however I'm limited to only a very few people who were only in a long while ago.

I've not just made this post and sat back expecting everyone to do the work for me, I made it as an aside while I had five minutes, and its given me more information that I wouldn't have had otherwise. I really dont see how making this could be seen as a waste of anyone's time, since its very probably the main reason most people post here or started posting here in the first place?

Thanks for the advice everyone, I've made my choice today and went for the Royal Signals - Comms Sys Engineer. I've been told I'll be on the 15th of June intake. I guess I'll see how it goes and make the best of it, and perhaps look at AACC or P Company if and when the oppotunity arises.

Cheers again for the help.
gpw2009

Post by gpw2009 »

CardSharpe wrote:Thanks for the advice everyone, I've made my choice today and went for the Royal Signals - Comms Sys Engineer. I've been told I'll be on the 15th of June intake. I guess I'll see how it goes and make the best of it, and perhaps look at AACC or P Company if and when the oppotunity arises.
Good choice mate, and at the end of the day, you could transfer while in training if you find it's not 100% for you!

Good luck :D
"Si vis pacem, para bellum"
("If you want peace, prepare for war!")

ADSC: Passed 07/07/09
Depot PARA: 18/10/09