Share This Page:

Running: Strong Head Wind

General discussions on joining & training in the British Army.
tom163

Running: Strong Head Wind

Post by tom163 »

I was out running today and there was a very strong head on wind making it hard to get any real distance progress and messed me up pretty bad. I was wondering at ITC if there were strong head winds would they modify the run times or is it tough you will fail?

Cheers
Tom
Daggers

Post by Daggers »

Same here ! the other day i was just doing a 3m run as i got to my point where i turn around(1.5m) there was strong head winds this made it quite hard on the run back...i was fine running there it was running back.
B.A.R.B - 72
ADSC - Passed
Intake- Sep 06
Joining
Parachute Regiment
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

There are some pretty big winds at Catterick as a lot of the back area is exposed. But then if it's hard going out it's easy coming back in and visa-versa.
_Mark_

Post by _Mark_ »

they modify your time, and if your legs hurt they kiss them better too.
gpw2009

Post by gpw2009 »

_Mark_ wrote:they modify your time, and if your legs hurt they kiss them better too.
You must have got on really well with the PTI's mucker! :D :D

If it's windy, then it's windy mate, if it's raining then so be it. If it's snowing they might let you wear you denims (not jeans by the way). You just got to crack on mate and stay with the pack! 8)
"Si vis pacem, para bellum"
("If you want peace, prepare for war!")

ADSC: Passed 07/07/09
Depot PARA: 18/10/09
just_me

Post by just_me »

Giggidy Giggady

(Quick Family Guy reference there, I couldn't help myself :D )
Med1

Re: Running: Strong Head Wind

Post by Med1 »

tom163 wrote:I was out running today and there was a very strong head on wind making it hard to get any real distance progress and messed me up pretty bad. I was wondering at ITC if there were strong head winds would they modify the run times or is it tough you will fail?

Cheers
Tom

I'm sorry, but get a grip! Think about the career path you have choose, as someone has already stated If it's windy, then it's windy. No if's or but's. I'm afraid you just have to crack on and not look for excuses, they do not go down well.

Despite a common myth PTI's are not stupid and if the weather is so adverse to the point where it becomes a safety issue i.e two foot of snow and black ice over the area, yes certain health and saftey measures are taken into account before they proceed. However if it's a bit windy on your RMT/PFT then you just have to crack on. If it's an endurance run, then you will be running as a paced squad so you stay in that squad, or at the very least try not to fall behind the rear markers! Simple.

And no, if it gets cold or wet on exercise they don't sack it. Or if the temp in afghan gets higher than normal they don't you a day off and let you catch some rays!

Best of luck.
In Arduis Fidelis
ofens

Post by ofens »

I think so, and if you just use one leg you only have to do half the distance.
:-?
[i]Hangover is temporary, drinking lasts forever![/i]
[b]IT WILL COME[/b]
tom163

Re: Running: Strong Head Wind

Post by tom163 »

Med1 wrote:
tom163 wrote:I was out running today and there was a very strong head on wind making it hard to get any real distance progress and messed me up pretty bad. I was wondering at ITC if there were strong head winds would they modify the run times or is it tough you will fail?

Cheers
Tom

I'm sorry, but get a grip! Think about the career path you have choose, as someone has already stated If it's windy, then it's windy. No if's or but's. I'm afraid you just have to crack on and not look for excuses, they do not go down well.

Despite a common myth PTI's are not stupid and if the weather is so adverse to the point where it becomes a safety issue i.e two foot of snow and black ice over the area, yes certain health and saftey measures are taken into account before they proceed. However if it's a bit windy on your RMT/PFT then you just have to crack on. If it's an endurance run, then you will be running as a paced squad so you stay in that squad, or at the very least try not to fall behind the rear markers! Simple.

And no, if it gets cold or wet on exercise they don't sack it. Or if the temp in afghan gets higher than normal they don't you a day off and let you catch some rays!

Best of luck.
Just to say it was'nt a bit of wind as you said, this was a very very strong wind in open fields etc and anyone would have struggled to do a 1.5 in a decent time in them conditions.
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

Daggers,
The Paracute Regiment?
Are you Three Para Mortars?

I'll get me coat. :P