Share This Page:

I need some help on my running techniques!

General discussions on joining & training in the British Army.
jah-boy

I need some help on my running techniques!

Post by jah-boy »

Hi all; name's Josh and I'm 16

Hoping to Join the army at some point either RE or REME.

I've been training for months now and i feel i've become a lot fitter.

I do a lot of cross country running but I just can't seem to be able to sprint very fast at all.

The odd thing is that i go running for 40 - 50 minutes (medium - fast paced) at a time without any problem.

However when i sprint 100% i really cant go as fast as my mate who i run with (also my age, joining army)

So im asking, does anyone have any good advice on how to sprint fast, or i why i seem to go so slow despite beina a good long distance runner.

Thanks in advance,
Josh
gudwin1988

Post by gudwin1988 »

I'm exactly the same, i can run for ages without a problem but when i try and sprint i just dont seem to get anywhere very fast lol

try looking at this website, it has tips on sprinting and explains what the body is doing etc, you might find it useful :wink:

http://www.brianmac.co.uk/articles/scni46a3.htm
sterion66

Post by sterion66 »

Sprinting uses fast twitch fibres. It's hard to explain but if you have ever seen on an assault course or something like that where theres tyres on the floor setup diagonally? Right foot goes in the left is forward slightly then the right slightly more forward again etc... so your constantly travelling forward. Going through things like that as quickly as possible helps with such things. Sprinting is also technique aswell. There are many things you can try building fast twitch fibres is one thing that helps though.

Mike
jah-boy

Post by jah-boy »

http://www.brianmac.co.uk/articles/scni46a3.htm

This is a good website, cheers.

For my 1.5 mile run should it be a straight out sprint, last time i did it i got 10 mins 10 secs. I know I can do better but is it about going flat out for 9 - 10 mins?
sterion66

Post by sterion66 »

I would do with whatever your comfortable with. If you watch the olympics over a similiar distance the runners keep up a good pace with a sprint finish. I would assume they condition their bodies to do this. As we aren't professional athletes maybe best to stick with however you run.
kieran turner

Post by kieran turner »

I am exactly the same, can run at under 7.30 minute miles cross country but I can't sprint for medium distances at all!
adamb

Post by adamb »

Use your arms when you sprint it helps alot. Im the other way around im really good at sprinting but not as good at long distance running.
sterion66

Post by sterion66 »

I'd love to time my 100m now. I used to do it at school in 12.4s when i was 15. I feel so much quicker now would just be interesting to see how quick.
jah-boy

Post by jah-boy »

Olympic standard for the 100 metre sprint is around 10.30 seconds, which is almost 10 metres a second!!
sterion66

Post by sterion66 »

Well i'd like to think im in the 11s somewhere will have to try it out someday
jah-boy

Post by jah-boy »

What did you get in the bleep test and 1.5 mile run?
sterion66

Post by sterion66 »

I haven't done a bleep test as of yet and 1.5 mile was 9m 46s