Share This Page:

officer selection - equal opportunities

General discussions on joining & training in the British Army.
jah-boy

officer selection - equal opportunities

Post by jah-boy »

Hi, my names Josh and I want to join the army soon.

Just looking for some opinions and advice on officer selection.

I've heard that unless you have ties into the military (e.g. Having a dad whos a captain, or being the son of a duke etc.) its unlikely that you'll be selected.

I'm just a normal guy in college at the moment so does that meanim unlikely to be selected.

Feel free to ask me more questions if thats not enough info.

:)
LostandFound

Re: officer selection - equal opportunities

Post by LostandFound »

jah-boy wrote:I've heard that unless you have ties into the military (e.g. Having a dad whos a captain, or being the son of a duke etc.) its unlikely that you'll be selected.
Thats pretty much utter tosh mate. Whilst there are still the odd regiment in the British Army that would look more favourably on those with links/money/title (not naming any names), the overwhelming majority of the Army will select the candidates based on merit. Aside from the minimum fitness and academic standards, when you do your selection (I think its called AOSB these days) they are looking for natural leaders, people who can cope under pressure, who have the ability to lead from the front, to have that "something" about them.

Yes its true that a lot of candidates come from privileged backgrounds, but not as big percentage as there used to be. I got offered sponsorship by 2 regiments (well, 1 corps and 1 regiment) when I was considering being an Army officer, and I'm a northern lad from a working class background, no degree and bank account heavily in the red. In the end I decided it wasn't for me, but I've no doubt if I had turned up to AOSB and had the qualities they were looking for, I would have got my place at Sandhurst.

You need to be fit, intelligent, up to date with the modern world (i.e. read broadsheets and watch Newsnight instead of bashing off at the Daily Star) and have a natural leadership quality. If you're thinking about going for orrificer, my advice to you would be get a bunch of good A levels, seriously consider a degree (for the life experience as well as the qualifications), get fit and start taking an interest in current affairs.

Theres other lads on here with more experience of attending main board (and even Sandhurst) than I have, so I've no doubt they will share their experiences with you as well. Try PM'ing Sarastro, I think he's been through Sandhurst in the last year or so and I'm sure he will offer you some sound advice.
BENDSTRETCHBENDSTRETCHBENDSTRETCHBENDSTRETCHBENDSTRETCH!!!!!!!!
jah-boy

Post by jah-boy »

Ahh ok i'll drop him a line, thanks for your ideas!
Sarastro

Post by Sarastro »

It is indeed utter bollocks. In fact, the genuinely posh at Sandhurst are few and far inbetween, and the sons/daughters of officers don't tend to perform spectacularly well here in my experience - some even crash out at the selection stage in AOSB, because there seem to be a decent number who turn up because Daddy wanted them to, not because they want to be there.

There are a wide variety of backgrounds here - I used to be a musician & am damn old for the course, another bloke in my platoon is an ex-actor - and background is no predictor to how good an officer you make. There are still a high percentage of public schooled cadets, but the majority are normal blokes like you say. Currently the Army seem to be opening up to a wider range of ages and backgrounds than even 10 years ago, because they need good officers now to go out on ops, not young public schoolboys to serve an apprenticeship in barracks until they reach maturity.

LostandFound gives a good description of some of the things they are looking for, and the premier one is leadership potential. If you are keen for this life (and you must realise it's much more than a job), if you have a real desire to lead rather than just soldier, and if you have the intellectual and physical talents to do that, you should get through AOSB - and bear in mind that some very good cadets here failed AOSB the first time round, it's not a perfect system; if that happens, take on board what your report says, try to find some demonstrable way to fix it, and go back.

If you are just finishing school/college, I would recommend getting some experience in either the OTC at university, or the TA - it's a good way to have a headstart when you get here, and also to see whether the Army is for you.

PM me if you have any more questions, have leave coming up and might even get some free time to read messages...

S