Share This Page:

stitch

General discussions on joining & training in the British Army.
simonsheppard

stitch

Post by simonsheppard »

Hi everybody just looking for a little help.

I am training to join the signals but having a little problem with my running.
After about 200m I get really bad stitch. I am able to running though it but it slows me down a great deal. I am using a breathing technique to stop the pain of the stitch (breathing out as if blowing out a candle) but i always get the stitch. Anyone got any idea why I might be getting it all the time and at 200m. Oh I have read somewhere that a compression top would help.

Any ideas would be great
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

I find compression tops don't really work, however they do make you look good 8). It's a shame the only thing that sees me when I go out running is the sheep and the cows. Stiches I think can be cause either by to much fluid intake before/during a run or lack or oxygen. Either way can be 'helped' by placing both hands behind the head with elbows out to the side, and back slightly arched rearwards. This expands the lungs or something I don't know how it works but apprently it will also get rid of a stich if it's caused by excess amounts of fluid aswell. Just don't try this while running, you will look stupid. On the other hand run through the stich, it wont last forever and if it does, I would go and see a doctor.
insushin

Post by insushin »

Ive read eating a banana 30/40 minutes prior to running helps, i do it and i dont get stitches :P
adamb

Post by adamb »

I sometimes get it after 100-300 metres but it goes after a while. Im also breathing very heavily between 100-300 metres but at around 500 my breathing is steady and i calm down. Try raising ur heart rate slowly before a run.
simonsheppard

Post by simonsheppard »

I do a 5 min warm up on the tredmill first. doing a slow jog for only a mins or so. Will give this a try. Thanks
BIG Hal

Post by BIG Hal »

I only ever seem to get a stitch when i go for a run the day after a drinking sesh...it's bloody agony. I'M NEVER DRINKING AGAIN :wink:
Lumley

Post by Lumley »

Ok, what really works for me is that you dont breath upwords, breath outwards from the stomach, using your lungs, and muscles between the ribs, mooving your chest is a lot of energy, i get small stitches, but when i do i breath like this... it helps a lot!
jah-boy

Post by jah-boy »

what i do is i slow down for a bit and massage the area for about 20 seconds that i get the stitch in, it sounds a little weird but it works for me and i can keep for going for ages after i get the stitch.
sterion66

Post by sterion66 »

Don't people look at you funny rubbing yourself up whilst running? Definitely one for you've been framed
jah-boy

Post by jah-boy »

i sure wudnt mind £500 for it :wink:
Lumley

Post by Lumley »

jah-boy wrote:i sure wudnt mind £500 for it :wink:
£250 aint it? lol

il record and split profits 70/30
jah-boy

Post by jah-boy »

i dont reckon a video of me rubbing myself wud be that funny anyways lol :roll:
gooner_27

Post by gooner_27 »

as your running take a deep breath hold for 3 seconds then breath out this works really well
jah-boy

Post by jah-boy »

yer that sounds pretty good i'll try it, cheers

8) 8
mozza

Post by mozza »

when i went for the selection my sgt said all a stitch is is you're brain telling you you have to stop but push through it mate, i just like puch ur back into ur pelvis if ya know what i mean?