Share This Page:

Army life and a girl friend/fiance

General discussions on joining & training in the British Army.
agapito

Army life and a girl friend/fiance

Post by agapito »

I'm so close to starting training, and now doubts are coming into mind..not because of fair of the training but leaving behinde a beautiful girlfriend of 3 years, i wanted to ask her to marry me after one more year please tell me this could work.
mark.f

Depends

Post by mark.f »

It depends mate on how much you both want it to work if you want each other that much then you could make it work.
agapito

Post by agapito »

I know, we both want it to work but me leaving for so long i think any girl would give in to temptation eventually , so i really dont like thinking of any one near her apart from me, but i think i might have to cut loose and count it as a lost what do you think, or stick it out and more likely end in my heart being broken.
Alfa

Post by Alfa »

I'm not really a fountain of knowledge when it comes to relationships but....... I would imagine that if you can't survive 6 months of little contact with each other then she's probably not the girl to have as your wife.

On the other hand if you do get through it unscathed then it bodes well for the future.

There's an old saying; "if you love something, let it go. If it comes back to you it's yours....If it doesn't, then it never was."
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

Also I think your passout parade would be a great place for a proposal :wink:
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

Stinky wrote:Also I think your passout parade would be a great place for a proposal :wink:
Like you'd know :P
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

Actully... my building is almost right next to the parade square so I see a lot of them and somebody is going to do it in my platoon in 4 weeks time :D
bakes0310

Post by bakes0310 »

Alfa wrote:I'm not really a fountain of knowledge when it comes to relationships but....... I would imagine that if you can't survive 6 months of little contact with each other then she's probably not the girl to have as your wife.

On the other hand if you do get through it unscathed then it bodes well for the future.

There's an old saying; "if you love something, let it go. If it comes back to you it's yours....If it doesn't, then it never was."
Your a big softie really arent you Alfa :cry:
flighty

Post by flighty »

If it's going to work then it will. Army basic isn't the longest training in the world. If she is worth her salt then she will be rock-solid behind you. As you will be behind her in whatever she choses to do with her life. You haven't mentioned what her aspirations might be, by the way.

Alfa ..... I'm choked reading your words of wisdom. :roll:

JAYNE X
agapito

Post by agapito »

She want to train as a midwife. To begin with she was supportive then as time started to close in e.g adsc then she started saying she dont want me to go its really hard to leave a relationship when theres nothing wrong, but its hard o not want to follow my dream.
Last edited by agapito on Mon 05 May, 2008 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flighty

Post by flighty »

You should both go for what you want otherwise you will end up resentful
of each other.

Que sera and all that crap. If you are meant to be together then you will be despite the directions you choose to go in.

Midwifery is a bloody cracking choice of career. Bite the bullet and both get on with it!!

Jayne x
Alfa

Post by Alfa »

flighty wrote:Alfa ..... I'm choked reading your words of wisdom. :roll:

JAYNE X
All I was trying to say is that if he loves her then he has to trust her not to cheat on him and if she feels the same way for him then she wont. However, if she did cheat on him because she hadn't seen much of him for a few months then she wouldn't make a good wife whether he joined the army or not.

What do you find so :roll: about that?
flighty

Post by flighty »

I was totally in agreement with you. Read my stuff back. :wink:

Jayne x
topper_harley

Post by topper_harley »

If you're worried about being away for a few weeks at a time during training, you need to think a bit more deeply about what you're letting yourself in for. Obviously you are going to be going away on operations for 6 months at a time, fairly regularly, when you pass your training.
calvin-fassam

Post by calvin-fassam »

I was in the same boat mate my ex didnt want me to go in either. We finished last month because we kept arguing everytime the word army or anything to do with it came up. Not sure on how i feel at moment because we was nearly together 3 years aswell but trust me if you can stay together do it. Sort of regret breaking up but it seemed it was going that way anyways and also seemed the right thing at the time.

But if you do break up do it on good terms like if you can stay friends and talk regulaly because you will miss it and her. By staying friends you can still talk when your in and leading up to the army and later if you feel your settled and your both ok witht the situation and both are wanting to get back then the doors open for another go. Thats how im seeing it at the moment and my ex is happy with it.