Share This Page:

At what stage is the Security Clearance now conducted?

General discussions on joining & training in the British Army.
HenryT98

At what stage is the Security Clearance now conducted?

Post by HenryT98 »

Hi,

I'm sorry to make this my first post, but I've been a long time lurker and don't know where else to ask this.

I've got an application going through with the Army, and I was wondering at what stage the Security Clearance will be done i.e. on application, or phase 1 basic training? I'm getting conflicting information from people.

I've lived in Canada most of my life, though I have been living in the UK for the last 8 years, so meet the residential criteria.

Thanks,

H
lil_dinger_bell

Post by lil_dinger_bell »

I am not not sure when it is...mine was during the application process but that was for officer. If your going as a regular army recruit and have lived in the UK for 8 years now there will be no problem at all.

...Unless you've been part of any anti-UK rallies, terror plots or fraudulant incidents.

Personally I wouldn't worry my fellow canuck.
RT Test - May 1st - ?
Medical Examination - May 1st - ?
P.O.C - May 5th - ?
A.I.B - May 10th - ?
HenryT98

Post by HenryT98 »

Wehey, a fellow canuck!

What part are you from?

What colour is the security questionnaire?
lil_dinger_bell

I'm just north of Toronto, where were you residing?

I was applying for RM Officer and if I recollect properly my questionaire was white.

The only problem I may run into is the fact I havn't lived in the UK since the age of 7. They let me fill one out and gave me my interviews so I dont think you'll have a problem.

Later
RT Test - May 1st - ?
P.O.C - May 5th - ?
A.I.B - May 10th - ?
HenryT98

Post by HenryT98 »

Toronto - good place.

I lived in Edmonton, Alberta - almost on the other side of Canada.

What made you choose the RM's over any of the Canadian forces?

Do you know if the Security Clearance is done along with the application for an Army regular, or is it only done after confirmation of selection?
lil_dinger_bell

I decided to go with the UK forces instead of the Canadian because the Canadians are still in thier infancy in respect to being a fighting force. It wasn't until Afganistan that Canada had an offensive mentality towards the worlds problems (of course there was WW2). They were peace keepers and now have slowely morphed into a fihgting force. They dont have the resoruces or trianing to that of the UK ..... so the choice was easy.

And I went with the RM because they're the best and hardest trained soldiers in the business....not even counting the added trianing an officer recieves. I could have become a Canadian Officer hands down but wanted the challenge of the UK Marine Officer training.

And as the cliche says; trian hard fight easy (if fighting is ever easy)

...and my dad was a RM so that added to the desire.

Why the pongos for you?( :wink: ...half hearted old school joke)

And I would believe that your clearence will be done after applications and before recruit training.
RT Test - May 1st - ?
P.O.C - May 5th - ?
A.I.B - May 10th - ?
McGuire86

Post by McGuire86 »

lil_dinger_bell wrote: And I went with the RM because they're the best.
:lol: :roll:
'In the warrior's heart there's no surrender, though his body says stop - his spirit cries never !'

Application sent - 10/11/07
BARBS Test - 05/12/07 - Passed for Paras
Interview - 11/02/08 - Passed
ADSC - May -
lil_dinger_bell

Cat got your tounge Mcguire? Or doesn't the Army teach you how to use a keyboard? :wink: - I'll take your lack of rebut as a sign of acceptance for this fact.

I fully understand the subjectivity of this fact but one thing is for for certain that the RM train longer and harder.

Not slaggin, just factualising...in fact I think it would be fun being a Para. I have always had a desire to do more parachuting. (only done it once) But I will have to wait until I become parachute trianed in the latter years of RM.

:o :roll:
RT Test - May 1st - ?
P.O.C - May 5th - ?
A.I.B - May 10th - ?
McGuire86

Post by McGuire86 »

The U.S. Navy SEAL's are trained longer than the SAS, doesn't make them better does it ?

[quote="lil_dinger_bell"]But I will have to wait until I become parachute trianed in the latter years of RM.

quote]

You'll have to get there first, what I get frustrated with on here is so many people are that convinced they are going to get in.

'In the warrior's heart there's no surrender, though his body says stop - his spirit cries never !'

ADSC - May -
lil_dinger_bell

The Navy Seals may train longer than the SAS but who has the harder regime?...What I am saying is that the combination of more rigorous AND longer training makes a force more elite.

In respect to 'regular' fighting forces the RM is the better force due to this combo of rigoriousness and time....but its open for debate...as it has been for years.

And with all due respect to those who have passed and failed I can garentee I can pass regular RT, I was born to do so. Officer Selection is another story due to do its increased difficulty.

I haven't accomplished either but feel 100% confident that, yes difficult, and an immence challenge, RT is fully attainable.

-bite on that

:o :roll:
RT Test - May 1st - ?
P.O.C - May 5th - ?
A.I.B - May 10th - ?
McGuire86

Post by McGuire86 »

lil_dinger_bell wrote: In respect to 'regular' fighting forces the RM is the better force due to this combo of rigoriousness and time....but its open for debate...as it has been for years.

:
So the Parachute Regiment are a 'regular' fighting force are they ?

ADSC - May -
lil_dinger_bell

The RM and the Para are SF's in the worlds perspective but in the UK they are seen, as elite yes, but less SF's due to us having the SBS and SAS, the true SF's of the UK.

Therefore I denoted them a regular fighting force. I know reading between the lines, an abstract use of the mind, isn't something the Army teaches you but if you were to think outside of the box you may have picked upon that. :D

With all honesty I respect the Para's as much as the RM, they are just different fighting forces with different techniques.

A little off topic but did you know more Paras have died in the Middle East than any other UK force? It is said by a military expert to be due to their technique of 'balls out' aggression.
RT Test - May 1st - ?
P.O.C - May 5th - ?
A.I.B - May 10th - ?
Sarastro

Post by Sarastro »

lil_dinger_bell wrote:I'm just north of Toronto, where were you residing?

I was applying for RM Officer and if I recollect properly my questionaire was white.

The only problem I may run into is the fact I havn't lived in the UK since the age of 7. They let me fill one out and gave me my interviews so I dont think you'll have a problem.

Later
You don't, it's grey - fail at the obs exercise for you! ;)

And Henry, I'm fairly sure (not 100%, but it always has been for the 4 or so I've done) you have to complete your MOD1109 security check before you get let into barracks etc, so you should have it as part of the application process / pre-basic.

Now back to our regular boredom, all together now:

Nominearebetternominearenominearenominenominenomenomemememememe etc
ironrob64

Post by ironrob64 »

This is classic RM vs Para!
Army, Navy and Air force regiments are regular. RMC and Paras are the elite Rapid reaction force (you need to know that if you say RM are regular to the board in your officer interview they will eat you alive haha!) SBS and SAS are special forces.
I have mutual respect for both but i think that as said above the paras have more of a gunhoe way to things, this in my personal opinion makes RM better.

Rob.
Alfa

Post by Alfa »

lil_dinger_bell wrote:an abstract use of the mind, isn't something the Army teaches you but if you were to think outside of the box you may have picked upon that. :D
Since McGuire86 isn't in the Army yet, you're observations are pointless as the Army haven't taught him ANYTHING yet.
lil_dinger_bell wrote:A little off topic but did you know more Paras have died in the Middle East than any other UK force? It is said by a military expert to be due to their technique of 'balls out' aggression.
Not sure where you got that information from but I'm highly dubious about the accuracy of that statement. And while the Paras are very aggressive in their tactics, if your "expert" believes (as you're implying) that they simply run at the enemy screaming at the top of their lungs, thus dying more readily, then I'm willing to bet that what he knows about the Paras can be written on the back of a postage stamp :roll:
ironrob64 wrote:the paras have more of a gunhoe way to things, this in my personal opinion makes RM better.
With Ref your personal opinion, I refer you to my postage stamp comment.

Yet another classic thread where lots of little boys talk about things they don't really know anything about.

To coin one of Harry's favourite phrases..................YAWN is that the time already..... :roll: