Share This Page:

Squaddie standard

General discussions on joining & training in the British Army.
numbnuts

Squaddie standard

Post by numbnuts »

I want to join the army as a bog standard soldier but my parents are pushing me to become an officer.
At the moment I am currently doing my A levels and am wondering what sort of percentage of normal soldiers have A levels. This is because I am unsure whether I should attempt to become an officer or soldier on the basis that I don't want to seem "over-qualified, I use that term very loosely (I realize that officers are soldiers too).
Any thoughts would be great.
Mr. Nuts

P.s. could anyone suggest any infantry regiments, which are well thought of?
Felias

Post by Felias »

Hi,

I have A-levels, one of them at A. If you want to go into a good reg, join the RM. lots of lads including myself have Alevels and apply for cdo recruit. :wink: or try you hand at the mils finest officers! :wink:
THinking about leaving already!
minimac

Post by minimac »

Paras, RGJ are all good regiments with a reputation. I doubt there is a 'bad' regiment in our forces, and anyone who was in a regiment will recommend that one over all others!

I'm in the same situation btw, wanting to go Officer without a degree. From the army booklet, 20% of Sandhurst recruits are A Levels only. Make sure you can justify why you didnt go to Uni etc. The interview will be even more important.
guardsmancolthard

Post by guardsmancolthard »

I'm in the grenadier guards. Only join the guards,paras or RGJ as a soldier. Best regiments in the army. Dont join a line infantry regiment full of thicko's. The household division is the best place if u wanna fit in as a soldier with a-levels. U'll still get the piss ripped out of you though, if you join the infantry with a-levels just wont be so bad in the guards!!!! If your english join the grenadiers or coldstreams. women love the uniform if you bring it round to their place... mind you wont be in it for long!!!!!!!!!!!
Honi soit qui mal y pense
harry73

Post by harry73 »

Best Infantry Regiment Ive worked with was the Light Infantry and that includes the Paras.

Guardsmancalthard said
I'm in the grenadier guards. Only join the guards,paras or RGJ as a soldier. Best regiments in the army. Dont join a line infantry regiment full of thicko's. The household division is the best place

Bloodyhell I've met some think as f*ck Guardsman in my life. I agree with your coment on the Household Division though :D

The Grens have just left Windsor and the Coldstream have just turned up :roll: :( you should see the state of the pads estate now

Harry
guardsmancolthard

Post by guardsmancolthard »

Are you in the household division then harry?

The green jackets are one of the better line infantry regiments!!!! Im with nijmegan company at the moment. Ceremonial duties get boring as f@#k sometimes.
Honi soit qui mal y pense
numbnuts

Post by numbnuts »

What I am thinking about at the moment is either becoming a Para, RM or the RGJ (but they would have fcuked that into the rifles by the time I join). I would have completed my exams by next year in July, so I will be applying around that time. I am using the time I have got at the moment for getting myself fit. I am currently running an 8minutes 11seconds BFT. I wish to get that down to at LEAST 7minutes 30>.
All I want is to join a regiment that is:
A challenge
A laugh
Leads somewhere
And somewhere where I don't stick out like a condom machine in the Vatican because I have A levels and had I not joined the army would be flipping burgers with the pleasure of Ronald McDonald.
Its a bad generalization, I mean no offence by it. However I also use www.arrse.co.uk and I encountered a story of some kid who can't wait to join because he was kicked out of school, has no money, lives with his grandmother who he hates and was concerned about his criminal record from stopping him joining up.
Para and RM appeal to me most. However here I encounter the problem. I wear glasses. I am planning on getting my eyes zapped at the age of 21 (with the consent of the army/navy of course). But could that present a problem?
Thanks
Mr. Nuts
P.s Could you tell me what would you choose, Para or RM and why.