Share this page:

Andy McNab

General discussions on joining & training in the British Army.

Andy McNab is...

a complete fake!
3
6%
a legendary hero
22
44%
a testicle
25
50%
 
Total votes: 50

Message
Author
robouk
Casual Member
Casual Member
Posts: 81
Joined: Sun 07 Aug, 2005 1:00 am
Location: Wales

Andy McNab

#1 Post by robouk » Fri 21 Apr, 2006 12:19 pm

discuss. :D
Applied: 25th Dec 05
Written test: [b]Passed[/b]
Interview: [b]Passed[/b]
Medical: [b]Passed[/b]
PJFT: [b]Passed[/b]
PRMC: ?

Advertise your company or services here and contact us today!

Sonne
Familiar Member
Familiar Member
Posts: 152
Joined: Sun 09 Apr, 2006 8:47 pm
Location: Harrow, Middlesex
Contact:

#2 Post by Sonne » Fri 21 Apr, 2006 12:22 pm

The poll isn't exactly fair... Fake or not he is quite clearly a huge walking talking testicle...

Sonne
Noble and manly music invigorates the spirit, strengthens the wavering man, and incites him to great and worthy deeds - Homer

robouk
Casual Member
Casual Member
Posts: 81
Joined: Sun 07 Aug, 2005 1:00 am
Location: Wales

#3 Post by robouk » Fri 21 Apr, 2006 12:33 pm

Sonne wrote:The poll isn't exactly fair... Fake or not he is quite clearly a huge walking talking testicle...

Sonne
all in the interests of fun of course :D
Applied: 25th Dec 05
Written test: [b]Passed[/b]
Interview: [b]Passed[/b]
Medical: [b]Passed[/b]
PJFT: [b]Passed[/b]
PRMC: ?

cookie
New Member
New Member
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon 30 Jun, 2003 7:39 pm
Location: midlands

#4 Post by cookie » Fri 21 Apr, 2006 4:17 pm

This subject seems to crop up again and again, when all's said and done the bloke passed selection and went on to become an NCO in the SAS.

People are very quick to criticise and it is usually someone with little or no knowledge of military life/matters. I don't know him, therefore I can't comment on what kind of bloke he is.

As for the whole B20 debacle I suspect that the only people who know the truth are those who were there, who are we to disagree and argue about it, we weren't there. The people who make this kind of comment usually weren't even born when it occured.

He is an ex SAS bloke who's gone on to write books and make a shed load of cash and thats it. Before you slag the bloke down why not do some military service, pass selection, serve on operations. It might make your immature " he's a testicle " comments a little more credible.

robouk
Casual Member
Casual Member
Posts: 81
Joined: Sun 07 Aug, 2005 1:00 am
Location: Wales

#5 Post by robouk » Fri 21 Apr, 2006 4:28 pm

robouk wrote:all in the interests of fun of course :D
so are you voting hero then cookie? :P
Applied: 25th Dec 05
Written test: [b]Passed[/b]
Interview: [b]Passed[/b]
Medical: [b]Passed[/b]
PJFT: [b]Passed[/b]
PRMC: ?

Frank S.

#6 Post by Frank S. » Fri 21 Apr, 2006 6:07 pm

This has been pretty much beaten to death. Personally I see Cookie's points as pertinent, so good on you, mate.

hc00
Casual Member
Casual Member
Posts: 64
Joined: Wed 19 Oct, 2005 10:14 am
Location: Runcorn

#7 Post by hc00 » Fri 21 Apr, 2006 9:37 pm

While he is a fake, that doesn't mean he is a testicle.

The fact that he's got more money than me means that he is a testicle!!!
Wo zhu ni jian kang.

neil1955
Familiar Member
Familiar Member
Posts: 117
Joined: Fri 24 Oct, 2003 9:40 pm
Location: u\k

#8 Post by neil1955 » Sat 22 Apr, 2006 11:19 am

hc00 wrote:While he is a fake, that doesn't mean he is a testicle.

The fact that he's got more money than me means that he is a testicle!!!
He is not a fake he uses the Psudinim (summit like that) McNabb to write under but he is the real thing you cannot pass selection and make sgt by bluffing your way......THAT DOES NOT MEAN HE,S NOT A TESTICLE.....
It means he,s a very rich testicle and as long as people realise that his books are fiction loosly based on actual events no harm done.
He has done rather well for himself, would those who try to slag him off rather see him in the gutter a bum drunk like so many others who serve an are then left scarred and dumped by HMG???????? :roll:
The Brecon Becons still stand Pen-y Fan is still a pain it makes no differance jnr, snr, selection, it stays with you ............

mfat_man

#9 Post by mfat_man » Sun 23 Apr, 2006 8:48 pm

cookie wrote:This subject seems to crop up again and again, when all's said and done the bloke passed selection and went on to become an NCO in the SAS.

People are very quick to criticise and it is usually someone with little or no knowledge of military life/matters. I don't know him, therefore I can't comment on what kind of bloke he is.

As for the whole B20 debacle I suspect that the only people who know the truth are those who were there, who are we to disagree and argue about it, we weren't there. The people who make this kind of comment usually weren't even born when it occured.

He is an ex SAS bloke who's gone on to write books and make a shed load of cash and thats it. Before you slag the bloke down why not do some military service, pass selection, serve on operations. It might make your immature " he's a testicle " comments a little more credible.
Cookie

Good points :)

As you say his military record is pretty high calibre (better than most could dream of I guess) BUT most people would judge him as a "book writer"... different area all together.

From what I gather that he was not the first in fact it was Le Billionaire :) Or Gen De Le Billiere, who did the first SAS book.

So are we to judge McGrabb for writing books? I didn't like B20 much very gung ho and was it really true? no-one really knows. But I did take his latest mill-flick book called Deep Black on my recent trip to Vilnius... Not a bad but others like Last Light and Firewall are certainly good reads!

As far as book writing os concened I thought people had to sighn extentions to their OSA but this was then overturned as there were not enough joining and the books were seen as good adverts for SF.

So McGrabb...hero or villian for writing books... interesting debate!

borisimo
New Member
New Member
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon 28 Nov, 2005 11:01 pm
Location: UK

#10 Post by borisimo » Mon 24 Apr, 2006 12:36 am

i agree with cookie, i like his style of writing for his fiction books, im sure the debate about B20 will run and run.

at the end of the day he has served,passed selection and been promoted, for that he gets my complete respect.
Applied: 11th November 05
Written test: Passed
Interview: Passed
Medical: Passed
PJFT: Passed 9.47
PRMC: october

hc00
Casual Member
Casual Member
Posts: 64
Joined: Wed 19 Oct, 2005 10:14 am
Location: Runcorn

#11 Post by hc00 » Mon 24 Apr, 2006 9:00 am

Borisimo wrote:at the end of the day he has served,passed selection and been promoted, for that he gets my complete respect.
Thats true I suppose.

Was that book who cares who wins :D
Wo zhu ni jian kang.

Artist

#12 Post by Artist » Mon 24 Apr, 2006 11:37 am

When the Loadsamoney for books about the SAS bandwaggon started rolling Mr Macnab was one of the first onboard. And good for him, he's now a very rich man who's always in the public eye whenever they need an "expert" to give a point of view reference the Armed Forces (They even had him commenting on the Royal Marines and the naked rollmat fighting incident, though why he was asked is beyond me!?!?! :o ) It's just a shame he had to belittle people who died on his little jaunt back in 1990. As they cannot defend themselves.

Sgt Vince Phillips was a good Oppo of mine. And he was also a bloody good soldier who passed every course he ever did in the Army and the Royal Marines when he was attached to them. He did his MSI (Military Ski Instructor) course in Norge and breezed it.

Vince was a Cpl in the RAOC when I first met him in CDOLOGREGTRM. We played Rugby together for the Unit and thats when I first got to know him as an Oppo. Vince was also a font of information when it came to Rude, Lewd, Rugby Songs!!! :D

As a Soldier he was the Dogs Bollocks. A Soldiers Soldier in fact. I kid you not he was like that Duracell Bunny you sometimes see on the telly adverts. As in he would still be going long after most others had wrapped. After Mr Macnabs rather slanted views however Vince was made out to be an over the hill unfit waste of space. A terrible slander as far as I am concerned.

I once wrote to the Daily Mail in defence of Vince after Mr Macnab had had a book abridged and serialised in the paper. It was published but not as I had written it. That still rankles as they completely changed the meaning of my original letter. So if anyone has their address of Vinces Parents could you please PM it to me so I can explain to them what I wrote before it got altered/abused by the Mail.

Mr Macnab lost my respect the moment his first book was published. He ain't a testicle however. Testicles do a useful job in my book. To me he's a Parasite as he feeds off other people who cannot fight back.

sloth
New Member
New Member
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri 21 Nov, 2003 10:48 pm
Location: scotland

#13 Post by sloth » Mon 24 Apr, 2006 12:44 pm

it was RYANs book that insinuated vince wasnt up to the job not mcnabs

anyway in my opinion mcnab desrves nothing but respect the guy was an NCO in the finest regiment in the world rising to 2ic of CRW after only 7 years that alone shows the calibre of soldier he was saying that he is a gobby cockney twat

mfat_man

#14 Post by mfat_man » Mon 24 Apr, 2006 1:49 pm

Artist wrote:When the Loadsamoney for books about the SAS bandwaggon started rolling Mr Macnab was one of the first onboard. And good for him, he's now a very rich man who's always in the public eye whenever they need an "expert" to give a point of view reference the Armed Forces (They even had him commenting on the Royal Marines and the naked rollmat fighting incident, though why he was asked is beyond me!?!?! :o ) It's just a shame he had to belittle people who died on his little jaunt back in 1990. As they cannot defend themselves.

Sgt Vince Phillips was a good Oppo of mine. And he was also a bloody good soldier who passed every course he ever did in the Army and the Royal Marines when he was attached to them. He did his MSI (Military Ski Instructor) course in Norge and breezed it.

Vince was a Cpl in the RAOC when I first met him in CDOLOGREGTRM. We played Rugby together for the Unit and thats when I first got to know him as an Oppo. Vince was also a font of information when it came to Rude, Lewd, Rugby Songs!!! :D

As a Soldier he was the Dogs Bollocks. A Soldiers Soldier in fact. I kid you not he was like that Duracell Bunny you sometimes see on the telly adverts. As in he would still be going long after most others had wrapped. After Mr Macnabs rather slanted views however Vince was made out to be an over the hill unfit waste of space. A terrible slander as far as I am concerned.

I once wrote to the Daily Mail in defence of Vince after Mr Macnab had had a book abridged and serialised in the paper. It was published but not as I had written it. That still rankles as they completely changed the meaning of my original letter. So if anyone has their address of Vinces Parents could you please PM it to me so I can explain to them what I wrote before it got altered/abused by the Mail.

Mr Macnab lost my respect the moment his first book was published. He ain't a testicle however. Testicles do a useful job in my book. To me he's a Parasite as he feeds off other people who cannot fight back.
Artist

Have to agree, making comments about dead people is not on :(

In hindsight I think he might regret the B20 book and what was said and the style in, which it was written.

Artist

#15 Post by Artist » Mon 24 Apr, 2006 1:50 pm

sloth wrote:it was RYANs book that insinuated vince wasnt up to the job not mcnabs

anyway in my opinion mcnab desrves nothing but respect the guy was an NCO in the finest regiment in the world rising to 2ic of CRW after only 7 years that alone shows the calibre of soldier he was saying that he is a gobby cockney twat
Wrong out! Mr Macnab also insinuated the same. I saw the TV Play of B20. And Vince was shown as a bloke who dripped all the time and was unfit. Mr Macnab read the script and Okayed it. I bet Vinces Family were really chuffed to see what he was portrayed as.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests