Share This Page:

26 secs Off My Run Time, Any Advice

General discussions on joining & training in the British Army.
hitman1716

26 secs Off My Run Time, Any Advice

Post by hitman1716 »

Hi, just back from Army development day at t my local careers office. Consisted of 1.5 mile run, heaves, jerry can lift, ice breakers and command tasks. I preformed good on everthing except the run. Got best in the group for ice breaker, got 9 heaves, carried the jerry cans the full 150 metres, And was told my leadership skills in the command taks where very good. However i got 12.26 on the 1.5 mile run. I was told i need 12 mins for the Royal Engineers. I have been given another chance to do better in two weeks time. Obviously as you can see my fitness isnt great, i was wondering is there any way i could get not only get the 26 secs off my time, but to try and get a bit more off so im not the unfittest and also to show that im really determind, just wondering has anyone ever had this problem or can give some advise would be grateully appreiciated.

Thanks in advance
First In, Last Out
Doc

Post by Doc »

Run faster.
hitman1716

Post by hitman1716 »

Thank for the reply, everytime i try to run quicker my lags feel like theyre made of lead, and my lungs feel like theyre gonna explode. But thanks for the advice anyway.
First In, Last Out
Doc

Post by Doc »

Sorry I was being very dry!

Try some fartlek training. Pick out a 1.5 route with lamposts or something that is about 50-100 metres apart around the route. Jog two then sprint one, jog two to recover and sprint again. You may have to start at 3 or 4 jogs then 1 sprint, but build it up. This will develop your fast twitch muscles and help your lung capacity out.

Do it one day then a normal run/jog the next and build it up so your sprinting running one on one around the course.

Thats probably the best in the time you have got. But after that and before you enter the Army try running further as base training with the odd week of fartlek built into your program. Sounds like you need more of a base to develop your legs and lungs.

oh and run faster :lol:
hitman1716

Post by hitman1716 »

Thanks, that sounds good, sorry if i misunderstood, but did you mean running every day.
First In, Last Out
Doc

Post by Doc »

Well you've only got a few weeks bud so yep I'd go out every day (but have one day off a week)

Dont go balls out every day as you may injure yourself, but try alternating the fartlek for 1.5 miles, with a 2 mile jog.
hitman1716

Post by hitman1716 »

Alright get you now,know what you mean. Thanks alot for all your help its greatly appreicated, ill let yous know how i get on.
First In, Last Out
blueroo

leg conditioning

Post by blueroo »

Hi hit man, if you feel a bit wobbly in the legs, try this conditioning exercise, it'll soon get you on your way to walnut cracking thighs!
They are called bootstrappers and you should start of repping out about ten at first, just to get the feel of them, when you get comfortable with ten, try doing as many reps a possible in one minute, they aren't nice but they do work
So, squat down onto your haunches, your heels will probably be off the ground, place your palms, or fingertips (Depends on your flexibility) on the floor. Then, keeping your palms/ fingers on the floor, straighten your legs so your knees are locked out. Immediately squat back down and then back up. your movement up and down should flow with no gaps so grit your teeth and try and push through when the burn starts. ps, keep bashing away on that run, you can do it!
I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy
Doc

Post by Doc »

Think Ive fallen in love!!!

What you doing later Hitman?

:o

Ha that got ya!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
hitman1716

Post by hitman1716 »

Thanks, i think i know the exercise you mean, i think burpees is another name for it, im not sure if any one would know if im correct. If so how many do you think i should do, or just crack on with them and do as many as i can.
First In, Last Out
Alex Himself

Post by Alex Himself »

hey, just thought i'd add, before i joined the raf i used a football pitch and sprinted the short sides and ran the long sides, boring as hell, but worked for me. Also find someone to run with, i tend to run better in a group rather than on my own.

Good Luck

Alex
day tripper

Post by day tripper »

When they timed you on the 1.5 mile run, did you have to jog 1.5 mile first and then run the timed 1.5 mile run?
I love the smell of Napalm in the morning, smells like victory...
borisimo

Post by borisimo »

alex how many circuits did you do around the pitch?
Applied: 11th November 05
Written test: Passed
Interview: Passed
Medical: Passed
PJFT: Passed 9.47
PRMC: october
mfat_man

Post by mfat_man »

hitman1716 wrote:Thanks, i think i know the exercise you mean, i think burpees is another name for it, im not sure if any one would know if im correct. If so how many do you think i should do, or just crack on with them and do as many as i can.
Let us know how you get on. When I was running the orginal military fitness site this young guy emailed me and said he had knocked a load of time off his run because he was inspired by the articles.

I can't tee you how chuffed I was 8)
Chappy

Post by Chappy »

I done the pitch sprints - I`d either do:-

9 x Sprint long - jog short
or
7 x Sprint full pitch then jog slowly a full pitch

Just start off and do as many as you can, then try and add one every week or two. And I wouldnt recommend just doing the pitch sprints then going home, do 45min circuit training, some hill sprints and maybe a bleep test or something in.