Share This Page:

medical officer

General discussions on joining & training in the British Army.
kweowusu

medical officer

Post by kweowusu »

Hi, im aspiring to be a medical officer in the army,Can someone please tell me what the job is like and how to get quickly promoted?thanks
Last edited by kweowusu on Tue 30 Aug, 2005 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hostage_Negotiator

Re: medical officer

Post by Hostage_Negotiator »

kweowusu wrote:can medical officers get the para wings and commando badge at the same time?
It'd be slightly difficult seeing as they'd have to be in two places at the same time!

If you want helpful posts without getting ragged I'd drop the textspeak as it might be great for chav.com but this is the military forum as the title states!
kweowusu

Re: medical officer

Post by kweowusu »

Hostage_Negotiator wrote:
kweowusu wrote:can medical officers get the para wings and commando badge at the same time?
It'd be slightly difficult seeing as they'd have to be in two places at the same time!

If you want helpful posts without getting ragged I'd drop the textspeak as it might be great for chav.com but this is the military forum as the title states!

wat do u mean by chav.com.
Doc

Post by Doc »

He means that this being a military site we have standards. Text speak isnt welcome.

Yes Medical Officers can get Para Wings and the Commando dagger when serving with the Army. The only unit that uses RAMC medical officers in 3 Cdo is 29 Cdo RA.
Last edited by Doc on Mon 29 Aug, 2005 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kweowusu

Post by kweowusu »

DOC, thanks very much for explaining.Im sorry about that language.Wouldnt repeat it again.thanks
markthestab

Post by markthestab »

Doc wrote:He means that this being a military site we have standards. Text speak isnt welcome.

Yes Medical Officers can get Para Wings and the Commando dagger when serving with the Army. The only unit that uses RAMC medical officers in 3 Cdo is 29 Cdo RA.
i never knew that :o

do the rest of 3 CDO only use RN medics like yourself, it strikes me as strange that 59 would only use matelots being an army unit

i know they have their strange ways of sliding their feet instead of stamping and calling the cookhouse the galley, brews are wets etc

but they still see themselves as army and the original commandos were army as well, so why do they not use army medics?

do they use royal marine medics as well?

are there any other jobs that 59 dont use army personel for?
markthestab

Post by markthestab »

actually ive just re-read that

do you mean doc that they still use RAMC combat medical technicians and just not the officers

or do you mean they use no RAMC people at all
Doc

Post by Doc »

59 is a squadron and therefore hasnt the billet for a Medical officer. The medical section is run by and constists only of a RAMC Combat Med Tech Sgt (supported by first aid trained lads as required). However I was 59's medic for a few years ( I was a RN medic). The Doctor cover for 59 is supplied by Cdo Logs who share the same camp (RN Medical Officers).

The only 3 Cdo unit to have a RAMC officer is 29 Cdo.

29 Cdo medical consists of a RAMC Medical Officer (Doctor) and RAMC other ranks (Medics) No RN Personel serve with 29 (Apart from RN Radio Operators within 148 Battery based in Poole that technically comes under 29Cdo)

My Attachment to 59 was a rare one, and only because different troops from 59 were all over the globe doing different things and they needed an extra medic. So I was sent over from Cdo Logs to join them. Great time it was too.

The last 59 Medical Sgt that I knew was a mega badge collector - Commando Dagger / Para Wings / Diving / Sigs. Total w4nker though :lol: ( Hi Matt if your reading only joking :o )