Share This Page:

Falklands Veterans Freedom March

General discussions on joining & training in the British Army.
ratso

Falklands Veterans Freedom March

Post by ratso »

The Borough of Gosport has granted the Freedom of the Borough to all Falklands Veterans. This is a great honour for any group to be awarded.
It has been possible due to the hard work by the Falklands Veterans Foundation and the fact that we have based our offices in the town, also due to the hard work by the Chief Executive Derek (Smokey) Cole in organising the 15th and 20th reunions in Gosport.

DIARY DATE: WEDNESDAY 24th AUGUST 2005

‘FALKLANDS VETERANS TO RECEIVE FREEDOM OF THE BOROUGH’

The Gosport Council were unanimous in their decision to grant the Freedom of the Borough to all Falklands Veterans.
This great honour can only be granted to an organisation which has ties to the city, in this case through the fact that, the only Charity to be recognised as working for All Falklands Veterans and their Families, the Falklands Veterans Foundation (FVF), has set up their base in the Borough, and the great work by the charities Chief Executive Derek (Smokey) Cole, who was responsible for organising the 15th and 20th anniversary events in Gosport.

The event for all Falklands Veterans will be co-ordinated by the FVF.

If you are a Veteran and wish to attend then go to www.fvf.org.uk and print off the form and post it back or e-mail me at info@fvf.org.uk
Falklands Veterans Foundation
www.fvf.org.uk www.yomp30.co.uk
Save the Fearless www.hmsfearless.co.uk
Give Her A Home So We Can All Remember
sneaky beaky

Post by sneaky beaky »

ratso.
You have posted this on all sections of Mil. Forums. This is the third time I have read it and I'm still in the Community Forums.
I have the greatest respect for the Falkland Veterans.
The trouble is that the Falkland Veterans cover a whole lot of units.
Giving the Freedom of Gosport to "Falkland Veterans" is very vague. It is usually given to individual units, who have given outstanding service to their local community.
Why not give them the fredom of say, Liverpool, Newcastle, or any other city you could mention.
Are the Falkland veterans that special to Gosport?
I'm sorry to sound so negative, but it does sound a bit strange to give an "association" the freedom of the city.
Sorry.
Sneaky
Former RM of 23 years.
ratso

Post by ratso »

Firstly the FVF is not an association it is a Charity, with no members, we represent ALL Veterans and their Families.

I posted it on all areas as I feel that it is important that anyone who has the right to the information has a right to see it, hence as you say 'covers a whole lot of units', and there are those who will only go to certain sections on this type of site.

The people of Gosport feel they have a strong link to those who fought in 82 and have granted the Freedom to ALL Veterans of the Falklands War. This is a great honour for any body of people and is even more special as it is unusual to be granted to ALL those who served and received the South Atlantic Medal, that is to say all those from a single conflict or war.

I don't see what is vague about it Sneaky. The reason Gosport is that the largest contingent in the Falklands was from the Royal Navy and a great many resided in Gosport, and it is the only place that has really supported the Falklands Veteran over the years. Be a bit DAFT if it was Liverpool or Newcastle you have to admit....

Surely your years of sneaking should have said 'hang on the title is the same by the same person, perhaps it says the same as the last on I read.....oh no it is the same!'
sneaky beaky

Post by sneaky beaky »

ratso,
I'm sorry I was so negative in my last post. Let me say that I admire and support all those servicemen who fought the Falklands War. And yes, a very large number were Royal Navy and a lot probably had homes in the Gosport area.
My concern is with practicalities.
How can you give a "Freedom" to so many units? There were many units involved in the conflict. How do they all exercise their right to march through the borough with fixed bayonets? Especially if they want to do it all on the same day. A wonderful spectacle it would be - but totally impractible. They would have to shut Gosport down!!
My solution would to grant the right to the Royal Navy. (They may already have it of course!!). At least they have a link with the borough. The Scots Guards, that Welsh Regiment of Simon Weston's, the Gurkhas and of course the Royal Marines and the Para's, they should look elsewhere for their recognition. ( I hope that I have got some of those regiments right and of course there are more.)
This is a lovely gesture by the Borough of Gosport but it lacks a bit of thought.
Sorry ratso, I know you were heavily involved but this just doesn't seem quite right.

Sneaky
Former RM of 23 years.
ratso

Post by ratso »

I don't think you quite get the gist of this Freedom award.
It is not being granted to anyone other than those who are holders of the South Atlantic Medal, so the march past will not be bayonets fixed as we are a body of people which numbers just over 29,000 though unfortunatly this figure is deminishing rather rapidly even though it was only 22 years ago, many have passed over the bar already.
Unlike the freedom being awarded to a Unit or for example CTC with Exeter, etc. This unique award is being granted to ALL Falklands Veterans who are all welcome to take part in the march. Yes even Gosport Council realise that they could see thousands of people turn out and that is what they are hoping for. Gosport have dedicated Gardens to the Falklands War and have supported two major reunions the 15th and the 20th and remember that part of the war war run from bases in the area with Fieldhouses staff being based their.

I would dearly like to see 20,000+ people turn up and march with heads high and then run off to find the beer tent. The Falklands was won through the determined efforts of those 29,000 people who have a right to be recognised and thanked and this has to rank as one of the best ways of thanking any group of mixed force combatants from any war. Pity it is not done by more for other conflicts and wars.

I admire Gosport for what they have set out to do here and it is unusual but great and I was proud to march there in 2002 and will be even prouder to march this year. So I for one hope we see 20,000 strong with a sea of colour from all the Regiments, Ships, Units and even the civilians that make up the Falklands Veterans. I just hope Maggie is well enough to attend to see, as she puts it "Her Boys".
bootneck

Post by bootneck »

Colin, are the FVF offices still up and running? i phoned on numerous occaisions, and left messages on the answer phone,no replies, i also e-mailed with the same results, was hoping to purchase something for the local legion, but it all seems to have gone pear shaped. nice to see you back on the forum again.
ratso

Post by ratso »

Hi Bootneck, the offices are only manned on certain days and all calls are logged and dealt with by the Chief Exec.
With regards to the e-mail side they come direct to myself and I have to say I do reply straight away when they come in, so please try again to send me something info@fvf.org.uk