Share This Page:

Couple of questions

General discussions on joining & training in the British Army.
celt

Couple of questions

Post by celt »

Hi guys. I've got a few more questions I'd like to run past you all since you've been so helpful in the past. For reference, I'm pretty set of Intel Corp solder.

Firstly, how far in advance of entering should I apply? This time next year would be perfect for handing my job over to someone else. Is Autumn too early?

Secondly, when in the recruitment process are references taken up?

Finally, and this is the biggy- I've recently been put on a small dose of a SSRI for a case of mild depression (uncontrollable teariness, tiredness and lack of concentration- never been suicidal). I'm already back to my old self. I did consider this would affect a career in the forces and held off going to my GP for a few months when it first began but am glad I did finally get it sorted. I mentioned it in passing to someone at work and they hadn't noticed any slip in performance. Is this going to completely rule me out? Is there any chance of applying say, 6 months after coming off them?
Army careers can't tell me- I'd have to apply and send off my medical questionaire for review- so I'm after some anecdotal evidence to know if I'm wasting my time.

What do you think?
Gazza85

Post by Gazza85 »

Hiya. Well from the date i first sat down and had a talk with a careers advisor and the date i will start is 14 months. But i guess it depends on what job you are going for.

As for the Depression side of it if your AFCO dont know then try having a word with your DR. I do know that when you have your proper medical at RSC you get asked 1 or 2 questions about depression and trying to hurt yourself.

Are you still on the medication now?
[img]http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/5848/georgiossamaras5bk.jpg[/img]
celt

Post by celt »

Hi Gaz,

Thanks for responding.

I'm still on it at the moment and have been for about 3 months now. Its taken a couple of months to settle but I feel fine now and hope to come off them at the earliest sensible opportunity.

I've also never done any self-harm.

I've 2 sisters in the RAF, one who "had her gun taken away". She persuaded me to get it seen to before it got worse as she had been self-harming- which I'm glad I did.

So, having had anti-depressives themselves isn't an automatic bar?
Gazza85

Post by Gazza85 »

I think being on them is but previously being on them isent.

The last thing you want to do is rush coming of them and then getting back to where you were.
[img]http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/5848/georgiossamaras5bk.jpg[/img]
celt

Post by celt »

That's the answer I was hoping to hear. Thanks Gaz.

Post by Guest »

Hi there,

I think the rules are that you have to be off anti-depressants for three years and get a clean bill of health from a psychiatrist. It's a bit of overkill, really, but what's new!

Ruth
Tab

Post by Tab »

Hi Ruth,

Do you think that it is alright then for a person with mental problems to be let lose with some very lethal weapons. Lets face it if you are on anti depressants you have a problem, and last thing they need in the forces where life can be hard and demanding is a person that has joined that is already a couple of sandwiches short of a picnic.

Post by Guest »

Hi Tab

Most people who take antidepressants aren't "a few sandwiches short of a picnic", but are people who are having temporary problems. The antidepressants tend to allow people to function better while they sort out the precipitating causes. I'd be a lot more worried about someone who couldn't admit they had a problem - that takes some guts and a degree of self awareness. Otherwise, people are more likely to, say, be drinking more heavily and they can still drive a car. That kills a hell of a lot more people than guns.

There's a real culture of secrecy about problems like stress and depression in the military, and many serving soldiers end up double registering with a civvie GP to get their support or medication (if that is required) without their colleagues knowing.

Mild or moderate depression isn't classed as a serious psychotic illness for a lot of good reasons, and even in severe depression people are more likely to be a risk to themselves than to anyone else, adn by that stage it's very noticable.

By three years of no recurrence, the likelihood of recurrence is back down to round about the general population level. The psychos who are just bad, however, will remain so - look at the guy from Waterbeach.
Tab

Post by Tab »

Ruth
I might agree with you on some points, but life in the Army and especially while on combat is not a place for some one with problems. I can assure that the stress levels are very high, and get even worse when ordered to attack a position that is very heavily defended. If can't rely on the man next to you you are in deep mire and hence my remark that the Army is not a place for some with problems.
mercury

Post by mercury »

I'd make a wild guess here and say the anyone prescribed anto d's in the forces would be downgraded as medically unfit for certain duties. Therefore enlisting whilst still relying on them would be damn near impossible. However I know from personal experience that some docs hand them out like smarties

Lets face it , basic training and forces life can be depressing enough when you are fit and healthy
"certa cito"

Post by Guest »

Tab, there's a lot that I'll bow to your experience on, but I don't think that the fact that someone was once on antidepressants for a period of time makes them unreliable and not to be depended upon for life.
For many people, being with a good group makes things all the easier to deal with - the very core of what you are talking about in action. There's a lot of stressful jobs and lives out there that also involve major decisions. I'd reckon that part of good decision making is recognising when you need to hold up your hand and say "today, I can't do this and I'd better say this before there's a major problem". I suppose that's what a lot of training does, is identify people early (partly to themselves) who are not suited to the role in hand.
Not everyone can do any job, but then that's why there is a significant wait and a full assessment for anyone enlisting who has had any potentially serious medical condition
Tab

Post by Tab »

Ruth

You are looking at this as a civilian which is fine and when you are not in the forces under pressure I might agree with you. When you are fighting just to stay alive and keep your mates alive it is not the time to put your hand up and say I have enough I want out of this, well I can assure you so does every one else, but you are stuck with it for this is what you have chosen to do. As they used to say many years ago you have taken the Queens shilling and this is what you are.
celt

Post by celt »

Sometimes, though, getting help in the forces isn't all its cracked up to be. My sister was in trade training when hers' came on- she went to the padre for help, but was told she was just homesick and should buck up- that's when the self harming started.

I'm a bit disappointed about the 3 years ruling- I'd be 28 before I can apply- which is getting on a bit for army soldier. I thought admitting it would cause problems but its a darn sight better to have the problem looked at in civvy street than to have tried to hang in there (near impossible anyway) and then drop out of basic a nervous wreck.

I see both sides of the argument- its a pain in the behind, and might rule me out altogther but depression does alter your judgement and basic would not exactly alleviate matters.

Post by Guest »

There's definitely a good deal of truth from either point of view, and mine certainly won't make any difference to Celt in the long run! Much better to have things sorted out before they get too bad, and not everyone will be doing the kind of stuff you and your mates have been through, Tab. As you say, you do what you're supposed to do if you take the pay.

I would say though, that when people's lives are at risk, sometimes it's best to swallow the pride and acknowledge that someone else might do it better - and that knowledge can hopefully come before the crunch, either selection or training, but there's still people who get through and have problems, many of whom might not have been predicted.